PDA

View Full Version : Clonking Noise

Jools
Aug 26th, 2002, 18:00
An intermittent clonking noise has developed on my late Amazon. It sounds like it is coming from one of the rear wheels and on inspection I have found there to be some free-play in both rear hubs/drums It is unaffected by acceleration, braking and cornering but is getting worse.

Can anyone advise me on what it could be?

Jools

grap
Aug 30th, 2002, 10:28
Hi Jools,

Dont know the answer to your question but I can say that I have EXACTLY the same problem with my car and it came about after having the rear wheel cylinder examined. I believe it is due to a brake shoe not seating properly. I would repair it but dont have access to the time or for that matter a hub puller. I am looking for a friendly garage in essex or london to fix for me urgently since I am on the Classic Marathon Rally starting Saturday??? Does anyone know of someone who can see to it (I also need the shoes replacing?)

Sorry I could not be of any help.

Regards

Jools
Aug 30th, 2002, 11:14
Thanks for your reply, if you want to pay someone to sort it out try Tony Barrett at South Service, he has several mechanics so should be able to fit you in. He is in London W6 Tel: 020 8741 7500. He is the only place that I have used so I could not comment on any others.

Good luck with the rally.

grap
Aug 30th, 2002, 11:23
Thanks Jools,

I know Tony and have been there several times but in this instant I have been told that they are to bsy to fit me in this week, but thanks again.

Mike Arnold
Aug 31st, 2002, 09:29
I had a clunk but it may not be the same as yours. It occurred when you first moved forward or then first put it in reverse and moved. This was traced to the trailing arms (? I think that this is the name) that go horizontally from the rear axle ends to the chassis. The nuts had come loose where it bolted into the body allowing the axle to move backwards and forwards by about half an inch.

Jools
Sep 1st, 2002, 10:35
Thanks Mike, I think that I have located the problem, Having spoken to Jack at VOC I am sure it is a halfshaft bearing or shim problem. I am about to bleed the brakes, remove the hubs & halfshafts etc to have a better look.... wish me luck

BTW: does anyone know if the hub puller needed for this job is a volvo tool or will a Clarke 5 stud puller do the job? (Machine Mart sell it for £18)

Jools

IanHurrell
Aug 14th, 2006, 10:34
Jools - Did you find out if the Clarke puller does the job?
Thanks
Ian