PDA

View Full Version : 1800: - MANN W917 Oil Filter for B20 Motor

scorpius666
Aug 28th, 2009, 06:50
I saw an advert for the Mann W917 Oil Filter w/ internal check valve.

The ad said Mann is the original supplier of oil filters to Volvo and that it would work on most Volvos.

Is this a safe filter to use for a 1969 B20 motor? if so I will buy a few to have on hand.

Anton

1964 Volvo 1800S White Color
1956 BMW Isetta Bubble Window Deluxe Black Color
1956 BMW Isetta Bubble Window Standard Blue Color

jimbo1593
Aug 28th, 2009, 12:19
Mann filters are very good, I always use them. All old filters nowadays have non-return valves.

Here is the link for the Mann online catalogue, but in short the W917 is the right filter.

http://www.mann-hummel.com/mf_prodkata_eur/index.html?ktlg_page=1&ktlg_lang=1

scorpius666
Aug 29th, 2009, 05:59
Hi Jimbo- Thank you very much for your reply and also for the Mann link and I will now feel safe be buying the W917 Filters for the car.

Clan
Aug 29th, 2009, 08:38
The MANN Filter will fit and work of course , BUT it is not made to the specifications volvo insisted on ... Volvo write a data sheet regarding filtering mesh size and flow rate etc etc which they require and MANN Make it to suit . The standard MANN filter may not be as good because it's cheaper of course .... OR is it? you can still get the genuine volvo filter from the dealer at a reasonable price ....

Ron Kwas
Aug 30th, 2009, 11:57
Clan;

I'ts easy to make unsubstantiated statements as yours...to what end?...they serve only to bring doubt, not to clarify anything...if you have definate information that Mann uses a different filter media for their generic filters vs. their Volvo branded one, I'm sure we'd all like to here/see it...otherwise, I have trouble believing that Mann would use a different filter media for the two...as a matter of fact, I wouldn't be surprised if ALL their oil filters use media from the same roll (or whatever form the media comes in) ...so until I see definate information to confirm that the Volvo and generic filters are built to differing specs, I'll keep on using them interchangably.

Regarding the internal valve...years ago, I did get a hold of some filters (taiwans best) without the non-return valve...after installing one, the action on EVERY Start was as you see the first start after a filter change (if filter was not primed, which I recommend now)...that OIL Indicator stays ON for a what seems to be an ETERNITY, as filter fills up after Starting (all the while the engine is knocking terribly) and finally pressure comes up and lubricates bearings...NO THANKS!!!!...I learned my lesson there...tossed them after cursing taiwan's shoddy S*** products once again...

Cheers

jimbo1593
Sep 1st, 2009, 15:45
I agree with Ron. Furthermore the orginal data sheets would have been written 40 years ago, I am sure that oil filter design has improved since this time allowing finer meshs (with better filtering) but higher flow rates.
IMHO changing the oil every 3,000 miles would have a greater effect on engine longevity than a filter with a micrometer finer mesh.

scorpius666
Sep 1st, 2009, 16:35
Jimbo and Ron - Thank you both again for your posts and I will be ordering some Mann oil filters for the car (and will do frequent oil & filter changes every 3000 miles as well) to keep the engine in good shape.

jakobandhismakarov
Sep 1st, 2009, 19:03
GSF sell the Volvo OEM oil filters that will fit an Amazon, they have the B 20 series 140s listed on their computers. I normally buy mine from there as they're cheaper than Brookhouse \ Braydon \ AC.

Halfords also sell them but I forget what HOF part number they are.

jamie
May 21st, 2015, 23:46
Just looking to see if there is a cheaper alternative to the volvo filter and found this thread. IPD sell the Mann W917 oil filter and state it is "better" than the OEM. They also have this to say, but it doesn't give its source....

"Product Description
To our knowledge, this is simply the best filter you can buy for the money.

We know because a major Volvo owners club dissected 13 name-brand oil filters to evaluate and compare quality. This filter manufactured by Mann® grabbed the number one slot.

Mann is the original supplier of spin-on oil filters for Volvo.

Mann filters are one of the few on the market that have a "check valve" that reduces the amount of oil that drains back in to the sump when the engine is shut off. The helps supply oil to top areas of the engine faster on cold starts".

I am off to buy Mann W917s, it is german after all.....

Jamie

arcturus
May 22nd, 2015, 08:50
Is there such a price difference to make it even worth worrying about? What percentage of a gallon of gas do they cost or a tank full?

classicswede
May 22nd, 2015, 09:31
There looks to be very little in it price wise when you shop around for Mann and Volvo filters.

I will stick to using genuine Volvo filters even if they are slightly more than the Mann filter.

charlski
May 23rd, 2015, 01:21
I picked up a genuine volvo filter for 7 quid is it really worth trying to find cheaper ??

Clan
May 23rd, 2015, 08:30
Just looking to see if there is a cheaper alternative to the volvo filter and found this thread. IPD sell the Mann W917 oil filter and state it is "better" than the OEM. They also have this to say, but it doesn't give its source....

"Product Description
To our knowledge, this is simply the best filter you can buy for the money.

We know because a major Volvo owners club dissected 13 name-brand oil filters to evaluate and compare quality. This filter manufactured by Mann® grabbed the number one slot.

Mann is the original supplier of spin-on oil filters for Volvo.

Mann filters are one of the few on the market that have a "check valve" that reduces the amount of oil that drains back in to the sump when the engine is shut off. The helps supply oil to top areas of the engine faster on cold starts".

I am off to buy Mann W917s, it is german after all.....

Jamie

I remember a long time ago volvo themselves compared about 10 oil filters and found some shocking results , theirs was the best ... and the white volvo oil filter has always been supplied my MANN . But you cant assume things from that fact alone ... MANN make the filters to volvos own specifications , it may differ in having a finer element for example and other differences. This is more often the fact with other items such as Bosch wiper blades and ignition componemts , they have higher specifications than the Bosch you find in Halfords and elsewhere .

jamie
May 23rd, 2015, 17:47
volvo's oil filters are a safe bet, but like a good wine it is the best quality that is wanted, if you can determine that, and searching the internet, many have....

Alfredtupper
May 23rd, 2015, 19:59
There looks to be very little in it price wise when you shop around for Mann and Volvo filters.

I will stick to using genuine Volvo filters even if they are slightly more than the Mann filter.

Er ....volvo filters are actualy mann filters volvo dont make filters nor do they make brake pads clutches plugs coolant wiper blades and so on and dont believe all that hogwash about the filter in a volvo box as opposed to a mann box is somehow superior ..

Alfredtupper
May 23rd, 2015, 20:06
The MANN Filter will fit and work of course , BUT it is not made to the specifications volvo insisted on ... Volvo write a data sheet regarding filtering mesh size and flow rate etc etc which they require and MANN Make it to suit . The standard MANN filter may not be as good because it's cheaper of course .... OR is it? you can still get the genuine volvo filter from the dealer at a reasonable price ....

Sorry that is complete nonsense .....

Clan
May 23rd, 2015, 20:51
Er ....volvo filters are actualy mann filters volvo dont make filters nor do they make brake pads clutches plugs coolant wiper blades and so on and dont believe all that hogwash about the filter in a volvo box as opposed to a mann box is somehow superior ..

all volvo make is the engine gearbox and body shell !

arcturus
May 23rd, 2015, 21:48
all volvo make is the engine gearbox and body shell !

And sometimes not even the engine and gear box! They buy in and assemble parts made to their specifications. Now my PV and 144,there's another thing.

volvo145
May 23rd, 2015, 22:26
And sometimes not even the engine and gear box! They buy in and assemble parts made to their specifications. Now my PV and 144,there's another thing.

Nothing wrong with a 144 ,they were good memories .

arcturus
May 24th, 2015, 08:36
Nothing wrong with a 144 ,they were good memories .

Yes, and almost all of it was made by Volvo, what wasn't was mostly sourced from UK.

bayliss Thomas
Nov 9th, 2016, 19:19
Came across this old thread and as it happens I am about to perform an engine oil and filter change on my 123. Euro parts are offering the Mann 917 filter for under £6 and my gallon tin of oil will be £20. I have not found a 'genuine, Volvo oil filter anywhere and even them shown on flea bay and Amazon may have stamped upon then Volvo, think I will stick with the Mann917.

Clan
Nov 9th, 2016, 20:20
Came across this old thread and as it happens I am about to perform an engine oil and filter change on my 123. Euro parts are offering the Mann 917 filter for under £6 and my gallon tin of oil will be £20. I have not found a 'genuine, Volvo oil filter anywhere and even them shown on flea bay and Amazon may have stamped upon then Volvo, think I will stick with the Mann917.

Any volvo dealer will get you one of these genuine volvo oil filters in a few hours or overnight , still widely available .. I buy them by the tray of 12 ..

CLIVERALLY
Nov 10th, 2016, 07:25
Do I dare mention wix brand? No ? OK then. In all seriousness buy what you feel comfortable with. I use Volvo only because its closer to my home than the motor factor.
I would have no hesitation in using Mann or Wix.But I would never buy from fleabay unless its from a known source.

SwallownAmazon
Nov 10th, 2016, 15:15
I use the Halfords 202 code filter - same as Ford Pinto and MGB. No problems after 20 years and oil light goes out while cranking so I thnk may include the NRV.

CLIVERALLY
Nov 10th, 2016, 18:39
Well said mate