PDA

View Full Version : Red (70) paint spec

p1800
Sep 2nd, 2009, 11:41
Red 70 ..... err no idea!!

My bodyshop guys are having problems getting a modern paint spec for the Volvo Red 70 which would be the authentic colour for my p1800. The paint shop say they need a three figure - single figure code XXX-X.

Can anyone shed any light??

Thanks

Mike

Derek UK
Sep 2nd, 2009, 16:25
"Volvo originally used a 140° Enamel paint, mostly Glasurit or Herberts."

They should be able to get a match but the problem is the type of paint they have to use now. Have you still got a patch of non weathered/sun affected paint they can check? Underside of the boot lid or under the dash? They can use a reader to find a match.

bdthompson
Sep 3rd, 2009, 09:00
The paint codes you require could be one of the following,

Red 46
Dark Red 117/1
Burgandy 103

Some of the old paint codes were just 2 number codes

Regards
Ben

Derek UK
Sep 3rd, 2009, 12:09
70 is a correct code for an early 1800. Listed as 61-62 in one of the books I have. After 62 they chamged to 46, the same as the Amazon, and continued this colour to the end of production.
http://volvo1800pictures.com/from_year_to_year/colour.htm
I'd try a paint supplier that has been in business for many years and who's sensible enough to hang on to a few old paint manufacturers code books and microfiches.
If you manage to find someone to mix up #70 correctly you're likely to get people say that your car is the "wrong" red because it doesn't match the others they've seen. A good talking point!

p1800
Sep 3rd, 2009, 14:35
I've checked the chassis number and mine was in the era when they just did 69/70/71 so to make it authentic it should be Red 70.

But I still can't get a modern paint reference to get the paint mixed!!!

Anyone else had this problem?

asneddon
Sep 3rd, 2009, 15:13
Mine is red 70 as well. I'm not sure how they worked out the correct colour, but it matches the boot hinge that had a broken spring and came off before the paint job perfectly. I think they have a little machine they point at the paint and it comes up with the colour mix for them or something.

I would just try going somewhere else. Its the paint shops job to know this stuff. If they are too lazy to work out the correct mix when you give them the correct colour number, then I would wonder a bit about their preperation work on the car.

p1800
Sep 8th, 2009, 13:00
Mine was originally grey - so the hinge sample trick won't work. It was resprayed red 20 years ago.

I want to keep it red but if I match the remaining existing red paint, that assumes that they had the correct shade 20 years ago.

gillberry
Sep 8th, 2009, 13:21
As Derek UK says find a long established paint supplier and speak to them , local to us we have a paint firm who still have the old books and can match a 1965 volvo colour for us from their books .

p1800
Sep 10th, 2009, 13:44
Hi Gillbery
Have you got a contact number for these guys - I've already tried 3 paint shops - inclucing a major national and a small local, and I've been through the local Volvo dealership who were helpful to a degree, but then told me that the paint code was on the chassis plate of the car! I've emailed, I've phoned, I've googled - next step will be going and choosing a pretty colour from their paint chips!!

gillberry
Sep 10th, 2009, 14:13
Hi they are in Norwich and are APEC on 01603 485485 . Hope they can be of help as when I rang upm about a month ago they still have the codes but in on of their old books .

Derek UK
Sep 10th, 2009, 18:19
If it's any consolation, when 1800 chassis #2 was restored in Sweden the paintshop had to go out and find another early car, paint code #70 and take a reading off that. I don't know if there is anyone in the UK with a red car that early so that the same proceedure can be used.

phholden
Sep 10th, 2009, 19:58
Hi Derek - don't know if this is any use...when I went into halfords of all places to get a spray can mixed to paint the rear numberplate holder they had the light blue code 95 on their mixing machine computer. Also I noticed he added a leading 0 to the code he wrote on the label can (095). cheers Paul

Derek UK
Sep 10th, 2009, 23:38
Hi Derek - don't know if this is any use...when I went into halfords of all places to get a spray can mixed to paint the rear numberplate holder they had the light blue code 95 on their mixing machine computer. Also I noticed he added a leading 0 to the code he wrote on the label can (095). cheers Paul

Not sure how relevant that is to this problem. Doubt if Halfords have this code on the computer. #70 is missing from 2 books and 1 microfiche print out that I've looked at. I suspect that #70 is a brighter shade than #46 but it made economic sense for Volvo to just use #46 for all the later cars, 1800 and Amazons.

If your car is an Amazon, I think the rear number plate bracket should be zinc plated? Might be wrong on that. Bought one in error thinking it was an under bonnet relay bracket..................