PDA

View Full Version : Stereo/Phone/SatNav : - Stereo & trim replacement

HEICO SPORTIV
Sep 18th, 2009, 23:42
My 2005 S40 D Sport only has the single CD fitted which I think is also the 'basic' spec stereo system.
I have however a friend of mine who has an identical year and spec model S40 which he's about to trade-in. This has the original x6 CD changer fitted.
Not being very electrical minded, I was wondering if someone can tell me how difficult it might be to switch my single CD for his x6 CD changer. Is this a task only for a Volvo dealer?
Bearing in mind there are several other 'bits' I want to "steal" such as the centre console aluminium as my own has a couple of dents.
Any help at all would be most appreciated, thanks.

Clan
Sep 18th, 2009, 23:48
the units are coded to the vehicle it was built with so you cant swap modules . However you can buy a CD Changer upgrade if you look in the accessory book ... depends on which of the 3 systems you actualy have . the accesory book should make it clearer ..

HEICO SPORTIV
Sep 19th, 2009, 00:26
Thanks for the swift reply Clan.
I hadn't even considered that the stereo would be coded to each vehicle and therefore not possible to swap. Damn.
I've looked though all my paperwork and user manual etc but do not see an "accessory book". Not sure if you meant picking one of these up from a dealer? I have however found accessories listed on Volvo's UK website but they only relate to 2009/2010 models. My understanding was that these were factory fit options but I could be entirely wrong. If I can have a CD compatible changer fitted then that would be great.
As for the system model I have... all I can say is that there are only two additional front speakers (besides those on the doors) which are located next to the side mirrors. As far as I'm aware my system also does not play mp3s. Not sure if that helps any.

If you can point me in the direction of where I might get hold of or at least see an accessories book then please let me know? Alternatively if you (or anyone else) might know approx the cost I would expect for adding the x6 CD changer incl labor then please also pass this on. Thanks.

In any case, I'd also like to add that I visited my local dealer regarding an entirely different issue a couple of months back, 'Murray Sighthill' (Edinburgh) and on first impressions I was not blown away by any stretch of the imagination. This was my first and will be my last visit to them.

Clan
Sep 19th, 2009, 08:07
The accessories book is the "bible" of what can be fitted after the car leaves the factory , if it is in that book it can be done , otherwise no .. All Dealers will have one in the parts department .

http://vccs.volvocars.se/accessories/cat/en-GB/S40-V50/audio/cd/VCC-251709.htm

that is a link to the on-line accessories book page that you require

so if you have the premium or high performance system it can be fitted . The type of system is displayed in the screen when you turn the radio on ...

HEICO SPORTIV
Sep 19th, 2009, 11:50
Thanks for the link.

Much as I have tried switching on/off the radio/stereo and key in/out egnition etc I do not see any information displayed on the screen telling me which system I have installed.
It just goes straight into the radio frequency display. Perhaps I'm being very stupid or missed something?

At least now that I know this can be upgraded at a later date I'll visit a different dealer and enquire further. So thanks again.

Clan
Sep 19th, 2009, 11:51
ahh nothing in the display means you have the basic radio so it looks like you are stuck with what you have ...

HEICO SPORTIV
Sep 19th, 2009, 12:29
Update: I have just spoken with another dealer and they tell me a third option is available. First, I should mention that the X6 CD Changer is £430 +vat for the part alone!

The alternative is for the "iPod Kit".
I'd be interested to actually see this fitted to someone's car to determine if it looks like a tacky after market add-on or whether it is discreet. Also whether you need to physically operate the iPod itself and therefore it needs to be in an accessible location.
This works out as £275 + vat for the parts and can be fitted to any of the 3 factory fitted systems.

Clan
Sep 19th, 2009, 14:10
the i-pod plug is in the centre arm rest compartment so invisible . when plugged in the i-pod shows "VOLVO" and you cant operate it's controls for safety reasons . You can play pre -defined playlists from the steering wheel controls . they used to have the i-POD AND USB kit which were similarly priced , you put your USB memory stick in and play the songs from there , but they do change the system now and again so see what the dealer says .

iainmd
Sep 20th, 2009, 00:45
The only problem with the iPod kit is that it's for 08 onwards models. The OP has a 2005 model.

Clan
Sep 20th, 2009, 08:38
There is nothing fundimenatly different with the audio systems so why is this i wonder .. I think they are still listed in the accessorie book for older S/V50 ..

HEICO SPORTIV
Sep 20th, 2009, 13:50
Well that sucks. I guess I'm just going to have to make do with what I have after all then. Thanks for the info.