PDA

View Full Version : Service Issues: - Servicing my own XC90

NCS XC90
Oct 25th, 2009, 19:35
Guys,
My XC90 D5 is coming up to 6 year old and therefore another service, its done 68,000 miles. Up to now the car has always been serviced by Volvo. I’m thinking of having a go myself. Just concentrating on the things I need to change based on the service book I have found the following things based on age and mileage -

Yearly service list (things which must be done other than the checks)

Oil and filter change (diesels – filter drained)
Pollen Filter change
Door and bonnet lubrication

Every 36,000miles –
Air filter change and filtration system check

I have a few questions. Changing the oil what does it mean “filter drained”. Surely you change the oil filter as well as changing the oil on these cars don’t you? Second and last question how do you check the filtration system (changing the air filter I can follow but I’ve never done any other checks or does in mean check the induction system for air leaks – i.e. unfiltered air getting in).
I’ll probably come back to ask were the pollen filter is but I’m working on the basis it cannot be that hard to find based on the size of it.

Any help much appreciated.
Neil

4 forty
Oct 25th, 2009, 19:50
"filter drained" refers to draining water from the diesel fuel filter housing.

pdrvolvo
Oct 25th, 2009, 20:42
hi,
i did my own service on my xc90 recently.a T6 of similar age and mileage.the oil and filter change were very simple.the car stands high enough to get under without jacking up and the oil filter points downwards and is easy to change especially with the proper tool.the air filter is no prob.to change.IMO the pollon filter is a waste of space and by far the most expencive filter on the car and you cant tell if it has been changed anyway.got my oil and all genuine volvo parts off ebay.did the whole job for about a quarter of the volvo stealers price.have since built up a small stock of genuine volvo parts for future use off ebay.

ps.start a service folder for all your reciepts.

peter.