PDA

View Full Version : 960 new purchase... Fit LPG??

GavinC
Nov 11th, 2009, 13:55
In the '700/900 Series' section, there's a post '960 new purchase' by 'stevesvolvo' who has just bought a 960 (driving it home today) but he says he unfortunately overlooked its thirsty petrol habit.

He is wondering about LPG. An increasing number of posts follow his post and only a minority (mine included) suggest that, at 20,000 miles per year, LPG would be well worth considering. The majority talk about 'heavy' petrol consumption.

In my post I've suggested he shift his 'question' to the LPG section of the Forum but he might overlook that.

Meanwhile, to any of you knowledgeable LPG peeps out there, you might want to visit stevesvolvo's '960 new purchase' post in the '700/900 Series' section and put him on the right track.

I'm sure when he gets home after his undoubtedly disappointingly thirsty journey and visits the Forum he'll very much appreciate your feedback on LPG!

stevesvolvo
Nov 11th, 2009, 22:46
That's very kind of you Gavin to ask the lpg chappies for their opinion. I will watch with interest. I think as someone, maybe yourself, said lpg should be the future. I can't understand why most of us pay 110p when we could be paying 58p to fill up
cheers steve

GavinC
Nov 12th, 2009, 08:47
Stevesvolvo... be best to post your question to the LPG chappies here.

By the way, it wasn't me who suggested that LPG 'should be the future'... it perhaps should be, but the future trend for government duty on the fuel should be taken into account - and some knowledgeable LPG guys here might answer that, too.

classicswede
Nov 12th, 2009, 22:22
If doing 20,000 miles a year LPG is going to be well worth it. The 960 does need a good multi point injection system to run properly and safely. Do not be temped to cut conversion cost fitting a single point mixer system as it will cost you more down the line and not run aswell as it should.

Conversion cost for a 960 with 70 ltr spare wheel tank is £1300 so it will take some time to see your money back before youa actualy start saving, but with the 960's low consumption its not taht many miles.

capt jack
Nov 13th, 2009, 18:01
20,000 miles per year, probably getting close to 20p per mile on petrol. On LPG you can expecting perhaps 12p per mile fuel cost, that's a saving of 8p per mile. At that rate £1300 is recouped in 16,000 miles. If you're planning to keep the car for a few years you'll be laughing all the way to and from the gas station.

Three things - get the biggest tank that'll reasonably fit; renew all your ignition renewables before you have the conversion done; and get the best sequential multi-point system you can find.

960 on LPG - that's a smart move and a car you'll want to keep.

Cheers

Jack

PS: At this point I'd usually add my recommendation for Autogas 2000, but as you're in Cambridge and they're in Thirsk it's a bit of a hike. Then again, they are the very very best in the business........!

stretchmyvolvo
Nov 23rd, 2009, 18:40
I have run lpg on 740, 940, v90, T5 v70s for almost 15 years. I love all the rear wheel drive stuff so no longer have any of v70s. I have had to accept that although cars with 350 bhp enjoy being driven at high speed, the speed limit in this country is still 70 miles an hour and it is no deffence to a say "it just would not seem to stop" and it is even less of a deffence to state that the speed "just seemed to creep up".
Gas is the only way to run these dear old giants. Always get the largest under floor tank. Single point stuff is now rather dated and can suffer from backfires, I have blown bonnets off and head lights out, it can give you quite a turn !! So always go for multi point they are what we have always dreamed of, the technology is now here ...... enjoy

Regards

Gavin

classicswede
Nov 24th, 2009, 21:49
Multi point injection is only any use ofcars that can support it.Older volvos on carb and K jetronic are best with a good quality singlepoint system.

The problemthese days is notmany installers acualyknow how tofit single point systems and have no idea about older cars.

M D E
Nov 25th, 2009, 17:34
Agree that multipoint especially on the 960 is the only option. I run my 960 on a single point many years ago which ended up in an explosion which took out the engine bay ! ££££££ of damage. My C70 T5 is running on a multipoint BRC system which is perfect can tell no difference between petrol and LPG performance and £18 of LPG takes me around 210 miles.

Ps if you fit a large tank in the 960 check the self leveling shocks are in good condition as mine ended up leaking due to the extra weight.

GeoffB
Nov 30th, 2009, 19:31
There are a lot of cowboys in this industry.

For a complete horror(LPG install) story pm me.

Geoff

volvo940se
Nov 30th, 2009, 21:03
Hi capt jack, got a 940se estate and thinking about change to diesel or LPG. Like the car and only done 85k on M plate. So LPG might cheaper option, is there much change in performance? on gas.

Kevin.

classicswede
Dec 1st, 2009, 21:23
As to performace difference if you go mixer system then there willtend to be a slightly noticabledifference but stillway way better than a dervv.If you go for a good multi point then your not going to notice the difference.

capt jack
Dec 3rd, 2009, 19:22
Hi Kevin

Sorry I didn't respond sooner - been having PC problems so not been on here for a while.

With my V70 (2.5 10v auto) I do notice a very slightly reduced performance, but not enough to bother me. And when your literally halving your fuel bills you really don't mind - honest!

As you're in Sunderland go and see John or Chris at Autogas 2000 in Thirsk. They are a fantastic company and they do a great job. I had my V70 converted there 5 years ago. It has been a brilliant car, and is still running superbly on gas at 200,000 miles up now.

Make sure you keep your ignition bits in top fettle, get the biggest tank that'll fit and then enjoy filling up for £25 when everyone else is spending £60!

Cheers

Jack