PDA

View Full Version : M41 vs M410 gearboxes, and changing to metric

swenglish
Sep 13th, 2002, 23:31
OK folks here are two questions that I'm sure have been doing the rounds for quite some time, but I can't find any answers.

Firstly, why can't you fit an M410 gearbox from a 140 series car? Cable clutch different clutch plate? I would love to know. Has anyone ever heard of fitting a modern 5 speed box successfully?

Secondly. Everyone is searching for better wheels. Can the hubs be changed on an Amazon to those from a 140 or 240 series? I know that I once rallied against a PV with 140 wheels - it has been done!

Your thoughts advice will be much appreciated

PS Sorry to be banging on about the box problem Tony B, but I need a solution that's not going to cost half the value of the car.

Tony Barrett
Sep 16th, 2002, 21:13
Andy ,
Call me again !!! 'cos 140 boxes are different animals from 160 boxes . Also I have a sets of wide rims to fit Amazons .
Tony Barrett 0208 741-7500/3300

swenglish
Sep 17th, 2002, 21:54
Right just to let everyone know what appear to be the biggest pitfalls of fitting a M410 box (this is a far as I understand so far) to an early Amazon. M410's use a cable clutch linkage and the bell housing from the 164 is too big. You cant just swap over the bell housing either, as the M410 has bearings on both ends of the layshaft. And the front one protrudes from the front of the box.

And for the later style wheels to fit: the back hubs and drums would need to be drilled as the PCD differs. Volvo went to rear discs from the 140 onwards so there are no later donor vehicles. That still leaves the question as to whether you can swap things around with p1800/ES's but I'm not sure that it's worth the bother considering the price of 4 Minilites.

But I would love to hear of anyone who's had a go at either of the above or knows more!!

If there's anyone in the Hertfordshire area that has a spare good condition M410 complete with overdrive I would love to do a physical comparison and measure up.

Thanks Tony B