PDA

View Full Version : Low Battery Voltage

simonfoy
Jan 12th, 2010, 16:35
Hi all and a Happy New Year to you.

My V70 has just come up with this message "Low battery voltage" Its not been left stood and, bar one day, has been used daily throughout this weather albeit for only 2 five minute journeys per day (school run) Throughout this time, as per usual, we have had the lights on, radio on and heater on to keep us warm and defrost the windows.

I took it to Corner Garage a hour ago and he is going to test the battery tomorrow for us but when he looked under the bonnet and opened a flap up (? Alternator ?) he said it wasn't showing a charge in the alternator so it could be that too, although he said they dont "normally" go on modern cars. Mine is an X Reg.

I am a little worried it may be an expensive fix, for the time being we are not using the lights, heater or radio to see what happens, it's going back tomorrow.

Any suggestions guys?

Thanks Simon

pdrvolvo
Jan 12th, 2010, 20:06
a low battery at this time of year is not uncommon especially on short run usage.each time the car has a short run the battery goes a little bit flatter as there is more being taken out than put in.if the battery is a good one it will show areading of 12.5v approx as it stands.as the engine is cranked over it will drop to approx 10.5v then as the car fires up the charge rate should be approx 13v to 14.5v.this can be easily checked with a simple multi-meter.dont worry to much about the "low battery" warning this simply means its a little lower than it should be as are a lot of cars at this time of year.if it is the battery it may only want a good chargeing i.e. off the car and on a battery charger for at least 12 hours.this adage of driveing round for an hour is rubbish and will cost you fuel.it could even be a slipping fan belt.as you say a faulty alternator is a rare thing these days so dont replace it or the battery unless they are definetly knackered.pity you dont live near me i could check all that for you in a couple of minutes.

peter.

simonfoy
Jan 12th, 2010, 20:33
Thanks Peter

he said he was going to put the battery on charge for 2 hours tomorrow and check the alternator. Will definately see if it improves by not using the lights. Normally we do aprox 30 miles per day but with the children being off school this has reduced to next to nothing and having to have everything like lights and blowers on has drained it. Will see what they say tmorrow and let you know. Thanks for the offer, much obliged to you sir.

The old Tank Master
Jan 12th, 2010, 22:21
I've got a relatively new battery in my 850, but it too has drained as I'm not a daily driver.

As suggested on the forum recently (and many months ago) I got one of these trickle chargers for my caravan last spring, so have transferred this to my car, and haven't had any problems since, seems to keep it topped up nicely.

Sounds like your use is more regular generally, but if you or others do leave it standing for a while it can save the dreaded 'key turn and nothing' scenario!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12v-Solar-Panel-Battery-Trickle-Charger-caravan-car_W0QQitemZ260476312443QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Gad gets?hash=item3ca5991b7b

Cheers,

John

simonfoy
Jan 12th, 2010, 23:30
Thanks John, I will look into that. My rear windows and all side windows are tinted though. I will email the seller. Thanks again

mikealder
Jan 12th, 2010, 23:55
Where are you based Simon as I know Corner Garage well and they are decent chaps that run it, a simple DVM check will soon establish the alternator output and I am surprised they didn't do this today - Mike

simonfoy
Jan 12th, 2010, 23:58
I am in Kirkham. I bought the car from Corner garage too. He did get this meter thing out and opened the bonnet. He put one end under this black flap and the other on a screw head and said he thought there was no voltage. He was short of time I think so he said he would look at it tomorrow. I am hoping its nothing other than not being driven a lot this past fortnight and needing a run.

Thanks

simonfoy
Jan 13th, 2010, 15:47
OK, Have just picked up the car. The alternator is dead, completely he said. So they have ordered a new one for me. I was offered to look round for a used one but not knowing its life or history I thought I would play it safe and buy a new one. £170 for the part then fitting on top. He didnt know how much of a job it would be. It's going in tomorrow if the company deliver the part in time.

I hope this car isnt going bad. Is the alternator going a sign of something more sinister going on I wonder? I know nothing about cars to be frank.

Thanks anyway will let you know how I get on tomorrow.

Simon

Oilydad
Jan 13th, 2010, 17:26
I have a long, long and well founded distrust of garages.

One of the biggest dodges that they use (especially at this time of year) is to put a simple meter across the battery and tell you that "The alternator or battery has gone" They will then fit you a new one (plus a battery sometimes), and they have both a servicable alternator and a battery to clean up and sell to the next mug. Cynical...............dead right I am.

All a simple meter across the battery terminals will show is the voltage within the battery at that time. Be VERY CAREFUL that you aren't getting ripped off.

All the comments about batteries getting a real caning at this time of year are spot on. heater blower, lights, wipers, heated screens, radio, and lights all in use all the time. work it out. Buy a battery Charger, and charge your battery up regularly, and I reckon you'll find that your alternator will be just fine.

I was in the Auto electrical industry for 17 years. I KNOW how these characters work. The irritating thing is, 90% of the time they get away with it. I once sold a shop a box of ten sets of alternator brushes at cost price to him of £1.45p per set. A customer came into the shop, and the owner said, OH. Your brushes have come in Mr Davies..............that will be £18.75 + VAT. I nearly choked.

Be careful is all I am saying.

simonfoy
Jan 13th, 2010, 17:43
I dont know what else to do. He said he tested the alternator and it wasnt putting a charge out. He has had it for 3 hours today and said the alternator is definately bust. He said the battery was taking a charge manually but the alt wasnt doing its job. Thanks i do understand what you mean. The battery is in the boot, he was under the bonnet with a meter, he lifted the flap and said no reading. This was yesterday. Today after 3 hours he charged up the battery a little and said the alt was pooped.

I have another warning light come on today. One is the red battery indicator and the other says EL system needs service

Thanks

mikealder
Jan 13th, 2010, 17:45
As I posted earlier in this thread the specific garage in question is a decent Vovlo Indy, I don't think he sells anything other than Volvos and has a very well equipped workshop, they certainly aren't the type of rip off merchants at all - I have purchased one car from them and had work done on all of the Volvos I have owned at this garage, the other one I use locally is Jump Leads in St Annes again excellent reputation.

Shame the alternator has gone but the additional loads placed upon it at this time of year can cause them to fail even though it is rare - Mike

simonfoy
Jan 14th, 2010, 17:13
Got the car in at 9am this morning but the alternator didn't come in till 4pm so they think they will get round to it tomorrow,

Will keep you posted

simonfoy
Jan 15th, 2010, 17:03
My wifes just picked up the car and she said it looks and runs fine now. £252. That was £170 part, £40 VAT and £40 labour.

just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their invaluable help as always. Great place to come and get answers without all the usual idiots some forums are plagued with. Thanks again guys and all the best

mikealder
Jan 15th, 2010, 18:36
Glad to hear its all sorted even if its the wrong time of year to hand out £250! Keep your eye on the forum for the next meet up we have at Preston as you might want to come along and meet up with a few of us, last time we had over ten cars between us even though it was torential rain! (Opposite Morrisons on the docks where there is a small car park) - Next meeting date is still TBD though at the moment - Mike

simonfoy
Jan 16th, 2010, 03:13
Would love to come to the next one if I am well enough. I am due to have more chemotherapy any month now so will be out of action so to speak. Thanks Mike