PDA

View Full Version : XC90 MY04 D5 SE Front skid plate wanted

CharlieG
Mar 2nd, 2010, 11:16
Hi folks,

I am looking for a front skid plate for a MY04 XC90.

Not urgent, but would be nice to have.

Thanks.

ianu
Mar 3rd, 2010, 22:10
Hi CharlieG - is this to replace the standard aluminium fitted one that sits below the bumper line - or are you looking for something extra special. Or is the standard fit one missing ?

cheers
Ian

CharlieG
Mar 5th, 2010, 13:25
Hi Ian,

Just picked up your response now.

The original one is still there, but a bit tatty looking. I was looking for a replacement to allow me to re-spray it or the existing one.

I think they might be aluminiun as there doesn't appear to be any visible rust.

Car currently in sick bay having its power steering pressure pipe replaced - pretty big job...........

Thanks.

Charlie.

ianu
Mar 7th, 2010, 10:06
Hi Charlie,
Yes it is aluminium - I re-did mine last year while it was in situ which was a bit tricky. I had the front up on ramps, removed each front bumper corner panel and masked off the rest. Far from ideal. Mine had chipped and was starting to corrode under the paint.
Looks fine now - but next time would be easier to take it off completely.
Good luck.

ian

Clan
Mar 7th, 2010, 10:10
That "skid-plate" is actualy made of steel , it is a vital safety device which is at a height which in a collision will make contact with other cars crush zones no lessen the impact forces ..

sjr-997
May 20th, 2010, 23:25
I would like to remove the skid plate as I have found someone to power coat it locally (mine is also chipped and looking tatty) - does anyone know how to remove it ? is it just a few bolts to undo ? can i drive the car without it fitted fro a few days ?

Clan
May 20th, 2010, 23:29
iT IS HELD BY 2 BOLTS EACH SIDE BUT YOU HAVE TO WANGLE IT OUT, THE FORWARD EDGE KIND OF HOOKS OVER THE CHASSIS ..
iT IS NOT A SKID PLATE IT IS AN INTEGRAL PART OF THE CRASH SAFETY SYSTEM , IF YOU HIT A SMALL CAR IT IS STRONG ENOUGH AND AT SUCH A HEIGHT AS TO HIT THEIR SAFETY BUMPER ETC . sO NO IT IS A BAD IDEA TO REMOVE IT . you dont want to ride over a car in front of you ..
sorry about the caps but too tired to re write , been 4 hours drilling off some locking bolts zzzzz.

johnnyd
Nov 22nd, 2011, 16:23
Can anyone tell me where I can buy a replacement front skid plate for XC90 2003 T6 SE ?

I think its passed the point of repainting as it looks so gone now but rest of car is clean as a whistle - any suggestions guys ?

Clan
Nov 22nd, 2011, 18:40
err your local volvo dealer sounds obvious ...

Sportwag
Nov 22nd, 2011, 22:23
Hi Ian,

Just picked up your response now.

The original one is still there, but a bit tatty looking. I was looking for a replacement to allow me to re-spray it or the existing one.

I think they might be aluminiun as there doesn't appear to be any visible rust.

Car currently in sick bay having its power steering pressure pipe replaced - pretty big job...........

Thanks.

Charlie.

I resprayed the skid paint on my last XC90 in situ and it turned out fine. If you don't want to do it yourself try a local body shop - don't see the point in trying to source another just to repaint the one you have.