PDA

View Full Version : Wheels/Tyres: - Interesting subject on BBC Faking It

catch22
Mar 10th, 2010, 18:04
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00rgh6s/Fake_Britain_Fake_Cars/

Nearer the end, they are at the Continental testing track. Doing tests on tyres that look just like Continentals. But are legitimate tyres for sale in Britain, but don't stop you like Continentals in the rain.

John_C
Mar 10th, 2010, 19:21
Interesting, but I thought they could have made so much more out of that piece.

Why not name the "budget tyre"? It's a pretty good test, as long as they made it clear they were only assessing one aspect of the tyres performance where's the problem? Also just how much of a fake was it? Did it copy the sidewall design and have a name like Coontinental Sport Kontact, or was the branding clearly differentiated in which case surely you can hardly call it a fake.

I had a look at the usual outlets and couldn't find a tyre with a copycat tread pattern to the Conti and not all budget tyres are going to be that bad, some cheaper tyres e.g. Falken FK452 and the Vreds I run on my B10 are excellent.

By far the best advice they gave was to do some online research into your tyres not just buy the cheapest. If it gets more non-enthusiasts thinking about the tyres they put on their cars it can only be a good thing.

Cheers,
John

Speedy
Mar 10th, 2010, 19:42
I watched it this morning. Wasn't it a copy of the tread pattern?

catch22
Mar 10th, 2010, 22:47
Yes the Continental guy was implying ...look they have copied our tread pattern, but when tested against ours it is far inferior to stopping you in the wet. He was also saying, it's not just a case of copying our tread pattern, it's also down to the make up of the rubber compound used. And I totally understand where he was coming from in that regard.

Myself I would buy the Continental, before I ever bought a Continental "look alike" Yes I'm price conscious, but tyre performance in area's other than price come top of my list.

But like you John, I thought they could have named the brand. Maybe they thought there could a possible litigation come back, seeing as they were conducting the tests. Goodyear when promoting the qualities of it's "Opti Grip" brand against two major brand competitor products, again omitted to name the tyres in question.

Interesting though it was, as the cheaper "clone" tyre was not actually professing to be a "Continental" It was a bit rich to feature it in a program called "Fake It"

Oh, by the way the program itself was "faking it" yesterday when they were investigating fake £20 notes. They reported on the town of Ilkley, in Yorkshire after it was targeted one day with fake £20 notes. And in it they said " and at the other end of the town....." then you see the exterior of a nice stone built pub, and a piece to camera by the landlord inside.

Well they were telling porkies, the pub in question was actually the Fleece at Addingham a village over 3 miles away. No doubt they called in there for lunch and decided to "Fake It" :animal-smiley-085:

gmain1967
Mar 11th, 2010, 06:14
Tyres. Arguably the single most important aspect as to whether a car stays on the road - aside from the driver.

When I was younger and money for cars was tight, myself and others used to run "copy" tyres. One harsh winter, I decided to get some m and s tyres (mud and snow, not Marks and Spencer), and went for the cheap option. Remoulds.

Now these were similar to the issue of the Continentall lookalikes, and were in essence, a copy of a good Dunlop rally tyre. The tyres ran fine for about a month, then the handling started to feel really vague (it was a Talbot Sunbeam, so sideays motoring was quite normal, but was more than before).

I had a look at the tyres and on all four, the steel braids had pierced the sidewall and were visible. In short, the remould was separating from it's carcass.

Lesson learned. Now there are good and bad remoulds and, if an urban myth is to be believed, most aircraft did, or do, use remoulds. I for one however, haven't run remoulds since.

If they want to get serious about tyre safety, show the effects of catastrophic failure, or the impaired braking, wet weather performance etc. Show it at prime time viewing, as a "public information film". Show it during the national news. Feature it on Watchdog or Rogue Traders. Educate people. I guarantee a lot of people, male and female, young and old, have not a clue about the differences that exist. My folks don't even know the brand, size, pressures, load rating or anything regarding the four bits of rubber on their V50. And car safety counts for little if the tyres are compromised.

catch22
Mar 11th, 2010, 08:32
gmain1967,

Been there done that, my first vehicle purchase at the age of 18, was a second hand A35 van. Bit of a rust bucket, but it's saving grace was it had had a collapsible rear bench seat conversion installed. In other words a " passion wagon" on wheels. And being a 18 year old apprentice electrician, high on testosterone and low on funds, it was a no brainer really. :car-smiley-003:

And yes it was run on radial [ non of those fancy cross-plys in them days] remoulds. But with age my objectives have changed, and now spend money in an effort to protect life, instead of spending money with the prime objective of going through the motions of producing it.

Being serious now, all things being considered, I put great store by having the right tyres for the job. As they are the only thing putting me in contact with the road. In fact although prior to delivery of my second hand Focus replacement mid October, the Ford dealer assured me it would have a full 35k service. But as I'm off down Cornwall in May, it is going into "my" mechanic man next Monday for a full brake inspection. All wheels off, all brakes inspected, brake fluid condition checked. Yes I know all this should have been do at that service, but I'm not prepared to bet my life on it being done. And the rear tyres moved to front axle with 5.75mm of tread on them. With the fronts with 2.75mm going to the rear prior to replacement with either Goodyear OptiGrips, or Conti Premium Contact 2's back end of April