PDA

View Full Version : New S40 - wot no footrest!

TonyM
Dec 9th, 2004, 14:35
I couldn't agree more. The footrest seems trivial but if I drive a car without one now I really miss it and it feels very uncomfortable.
I can't imagine why they have left it out.
Our other car is a new MINI and even that has a footrest.

antipcperson
Dec 10th, 2004, 21:10
No message

antipcperson
Dec 10th, 2004, 21:43
No message

sarge
Dec 11th, 2004, 20:32
Yesterday, while my local stealer was servicing my car, they gave me a new S40 to use. I really liked it but could not believe that it didn't have a footrest for the driver's left foot. And because the handbrake is positioned for left-hand drive vehicles, I found it quite awkward to use. They may not seem like big deals but little things like that would make me think twice about whether I wanted to buy one.

Sarge
'99 V70 AWD

Paul_S
Dec 12th, 2004, 20:57
Couldn't agree more - I went on a local Volvo test day and made the same comment. And what's the whole idea with that dash? The storage area is behind the 'floating' panel. Sure, thieves need to take a second look to see something you shouldn't have left out in the first place but I wouldn't like to get my sun glasses from it when I'm driving along!

Overall I was quite impressed but that said, I've not driven a brand new version of any rivals to compare...

gelly62
Dec 13th, 2004, 18:55
hi. i couldnt agree more.no footrest is a serious omission.i recently bought a v50 2.0d ex demo, having traded in my v70 d5.While i am impressed with the car overall particulaly the handling i miss the old d5 diesel.the v50 2.0d is much rougher and knockier and so far not as economical as the d5 although i only have 6k on the clock.hopefully things will improve.that d5 engine must rate as one of the all time diesel greats!!!
My v50 hasn't been totally reliable as the EGR valve gave up.My car was off the road for a week whilst a new one was sourced.
The v70 in contrast was totally reliable all the time i owned it

vinny
Dec 16th, 2004, 10:10
my phase 1 s40 cd has a plastic footrest to match the carpet colour

RJF
Jan 10th, 2005, 21:54
Bought a V50 last week. I agree with the footrest issue but to be honest there isn't that much room in the footwell. Has anyone drove a 3 series BMW? The footwell area is approx the same size as the S40/V50, however the BMW has a footrest. The problem though is that you hit the clutch pedal on the way down to the footrest, and again when you lift off. Given the space available, I prefer no footrest.

There is a definite safety issue with the handbrake though. I agree that it does look awkward but there is no problem in everyday use. However, take a look what's between the driver's left hand and the handbrake. Cup holders !! If these are in use then the handbrake operation isn't just awkward - it's dammed near impossible to apply the hanbdbrake without your arm hitting the cups / bottles or whatever. What do you think is going to happen if you forget about the hot tea or coffee you've just bought, and you reach for the handbrake? I'm currently awaiting reply from Volvo regarding this issue. It's likely that due to design constraints, there was no room available to re-locate the handbrake for right-hand drive vehicles. But I wonder if their designers considered the implications of locating cupholders between the driver and the handbrake? For a company who pride themselves on safety...
I'll post any response I receive from Volvo regarding this issue.

vinny
Jan 10th, 2005, 22:41
I have driven my son's 3 series BMW and I have'nt had any trouble at all with the footrest.
I must point out that I take a size 11 eee fitting so it's not the size of the feet.

GorgeousGeorge
Jan 11th, 2005, 09:28
mornin

tried to remove the foot rest from my 3 series, but if memory is correct it was more of a cover over a blimp in the bulkhead, so removing it would still leave the lump, if that makes sense.

volvodriver
Feb 2nd, 2005, 18:23
I brought a new S40 and couldn't believe it doesn't have a foot rest. I drive about 20K miles a year and about 95% on the motorway and now with the cruise control I think it should have one each side :-)

Darren
S40 2.0D S

5lab
Feb 2nd, 2005, 18:36
can you not just rest it flat on the floor? thats were i leave mine..