PDA

View Full Version : New S40/V50 lights

Darth Paul
Mar 18th, 2005, 12:20
Hi, I've just replaced my dipped beam bulbs with some Philips Vision Plus, which I have on my other car and are excellent. Very complicated to change as the whole light unit has to be removed from the car. I've also changed the indicators for silver ones – the rears are a delight to change – great design as all the bulbs come out together.

Now the questions...

The rear fog light is on the offside – just the one. However, there is a bulb holder (and the circuitry, it would seem) without a bulb on the nearside. It just seems to be unused. Any idea why this might be? My other car has two rear fogs – one on either side.

And the second question – the mirror indicators are a dealer change item. How daft is that? Anyone have any idea how to get into them?

Thanks.

alfonzobonzo
Mar 18th, 2005, 12:31
I noticed the same the other day, i was looking around the back and noticed that 3 out of my 4 rear lights were blown. so i whent out & got some replacements...

then i noticed like you that one of the fogs is missing, i just assumed that someone hadnt replaced it, Although then i remembered that my 480 has 2 fogs under the rear bumper, but one of them is a fake (dummy) molding

so its probably regional law or something

Mav_UK
Mar 18th, 2005, 12:55
IIRC Fogs are genrally fitted to be in the middle of the road (is that offside?). They makes the moulds the same for each market and just use the required side rather than making diff light units for left and riight hand drive cars.

Anyone know if it'd detrimental to use both?

Darth Paul
Mar 18th, 2005, 13:13
>IIRC Fogs are genrally fitted to be in the middle of the road
>(is that offside?). They makes the moulds the same for each
>market and just use the required side rather than making diff
>light units for left and riight hand drive cars.
>
>Anyone know if it'd detrimental to use both?

As I said, my other car uses both – MR2 Roadster. Perhaps it would drain/strain the electrics? So, about the mirror repeaters – how the hell do you open them?!

Mav_UK
Mar 18th, 2005, 14:03
My Spit uses both - but then that's a 1980 car... Strange thing is my MR2 only had one rear fog ('92 GTi T-Bar)...

About the mirror indicators - sorry, not had a chance to get close and personal with one yet.

4 forty
Mar 18th, 2005, 20:19
many cars are only fitted with one rear fog light, this is so that motorists following behind in fog, do not confuse two fog lights as being brake lights, causing them their selves to brake suddenly.

paul
institute of advanced motorists

volvodriver
Mar 21st, 2005, 08:03
>Hi, I've just replaced my dipped beam bulbs with some Philips
>Vision Plus, which I have on my other car and are excellent.

I have been looking to change these bulbs, as I don't find the standard ones as good as I thought they would be. Could you tell be which ones you got H4 or H7, Where and how much? I have found them on the internet for £8.50+vat (H4) and £11+vat (H7).

Thanks!

Darren
2004 NEW S40 2.0D S

Darth Paul
Mar 21st, 2005, 11:40
>>Hi, I've just replaced my dipped beam bulbs with some
>Philips
>>Vision Plus, which I have on my other car and are excellent.
>
>I have been looking to change these bulbs, as I don't find the
>standard ones as good as I thought they would be. Could you
>tell be which ones you got H4 or H7, Where and how much? I
>have found them on the internet for £8.50+vat (H4) and £11+vat
>(H7).
>
>Thanks!
>
>Darren
>2004 NEW S40 2.0D S

IIRC they are H7. I buy Philips Vision Plus 50% @ £25. They are Halogen, but burn white and very bright. I avoid the Xenon-filled bulbs, as in my experience they only last six months or so.

I usually get them from here:

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/h7_philips.htm

I've also got the Xenon-filled 5w Philips Blue Vision push-in side light jobbies. No Vision Plus versions of these, so I went for the Xenon. These are £9, so much cheaper to replace more often! The reason I got these is that at night my lights are now bluish/white, rather than yellow-tinged.

volvodriver
Mar 21st, 2005, 21:07
Thanks very much I will order a set in the morning.

Darren
2004 NEW S40 2.0D S