PDA

View Full Version : Electronic ignitionin an 1800S

Gordon Hunter
Dec 22nd, 2002, 13:08
Hi there,

I would like to increase reliability and fuel efficiency in my 1967 P1800S. The car is in bits just now for a full rebuild, so I'm using the winter months to research the various possibilities for upgrading.
Has anyone done this conversion? -if so how did you go about it. I intend to go the DIY route. Any tips greatly appreciated.

Gordon Hunter

Peter Milnes
Dec 22nd, 2002, 18:48
In the '70s I made an electronic ignition unit for my then Ford Corsair 2 Litre V4. This enabled me to run 50 thou plug gaps with no loss in starting ability even in heavy frost conditions. The mpg improved by about 3 mpg. I made my own infra red trigger unit to replace the points which was very successful. It came from the Practical Electronics magazine of the time. As you can see it was a long time ago and I no longer have the "Pirate".

All the best, Peter

swenglish
Dec 26th, 2002, 01:18
Hi there,

I'm afraid I can't offer you a simple answer from experience, but I have been looking into EMS's and fuel injection for either my B18D or a project B20. If you are after simple reliability then you could fit an ignitor sensor in place of your points and condensor. I have been running one in conjunction with a high output coil and some serious HT laead for four months and the car hasn't missed a beat.

If you are after improved performance and or economy then there are more than a dozen systems out there. One of the more practicle ones is the Alpha plus system which can be mapped, manage fuel injection and be adjusted simply for different grades of fuel.

If you want to know more you can contact me directly andi.c@btinternet.com

Oh yes there is both costs for the kit (anything from £500 +) and then the time on a rolling road/dyno mapping the whole thing.

Andi

Mike Arnold
Dec 27th, 2002, 08:49
I fitted an electronic ignition to my 122S (same engine) and it was quite easy. I did do this 20 years ago with a basic Sparkrite unit. I did not replace the points and they do not, now, burn out.

To be honest, I never noticed a phenominal difference in performance although I am sure that starting is better.

Tip 1. If you have the anti-theft armoured ignition cable you will have to cut into the steel cavity on the back of the coil to get one of the wires.

Tip 2. Be aware of interference. Electronic ignitions can transmit an annoying buzz through the car's wiring.

Tony Barrett
Jan 2nd, 2003, 19:04
Hi Gordon ,
I sell electronic ignition kits . They are very small , it all fits inside the distributor , no more points , no more condenser , no more adjusting the timing . If fitted after the engine tuning has all been done you will find that you have to slow the tickover down ! I know they improve engine starting , but I don't know about economy I just assume it must be better . The kits cost £88 + Vat. Tony Barrett 0208 741-7500/3300

Mav_UK
Jan 3rd, 2003, 07:20
Never done one myself, but I know lots of people that have done it for 1100/1300 and 1500 spitfires. They all swear by them (as opposed to at the points :) ) with better starting, smother running, improved mgp etc. When the spit gets back on the road i'll be fitting one.

As for fitting there are *loads* available, from ones that simply sit where the points should go, to ones that bolt to the bulk head. Personally I intend to go for one in the dizzy, prices seem to vary from 70quid to what you want to pay........

Good Luck

Stu