Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > Blogs > Adventures in Volvo maintenance
Register Members CarsBlogs Help Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

This is just for me to recount my efforts to keep my fleet of Volvos on the the road. Comments and suggestions are all welcome.
Rate this Entry

What a relief

Posted Sep 13th, 2008 at 23:14 by Andrew (UK)

This past week has been a bit of a nightmare. I lost count of the number of times I had that head on and off the car. I eventually got a new head gasket as I could not get a seal with the first one. Fortunately this new gasket did seal properly. On Wednesday morning I only had time to get the head on and fill with coolant before I had to go to work. Thursday morning I had to take the other 240 for its MOT. Well of course it failed the MOT so then I had to spend the morning frantically putting the red car back together despite the odd rain shower. It was really hard to start and would not idle but at least it would run, so I drove it work in that state as I could not afford to spend any more time on it. On the way I also noticed the serious lack of power.
This morning I was able to check what was going on. I had thought I must have got the intermediate shaft pulley a tooth off as the timing belt went back on during one of the showers. This however was not the case. Instead it seems that the last person to do the timing belt had got the pulley a tooth off and had compensated for it by rotating the distributor drive by one tooth. The effect of course when I got the intermediate shaft pulley correctly lined up was to throw the timing to about 20 degrees ATDC instead of 10 BTDC where it should be. So finally I have the red car back together and running as it should after a fortnight off the road instead of the planned two or three days.
As for the white one that failed the MOT, for the exhaust I had patched the biggest hole which was in the front box but there were two holes in the pipe that I missed, one of which was blowing onto the fuel tank. One tyre was also below the limit and there was a rust hole in the floor. The exhaust will get some bandages to get it through the MOT and then I'll replace the whole system once my wallet has recovered from the head saga and the other work needed. The car goes back on Wednesday for the welding and two new tyres followed by a retest. I just have to lift the carpet to reduce the labour charge for the welding as well as the exhaust bandages.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 2748 Comments 0
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments

 

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 22:14.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.