Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   MY2018 cars (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=262999)

Lexman8 Mar 1st, 2017 15:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by AB-UK (Post 2241696)
The new XC90 MkII will be built in China????
Really?
This must be a serious consideration for future buyers imo.

I thought production in China was to satisfy the Asian market. The XC90 will continue to be built in Sweden.

NickHoward Mar 1st, 2017 15:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lexman8 (Post 2241701)
I thought production in China was to satisfy the Asian market. The XC90 will continue to be built in Sweden.

I was under the impression that the S90 would be built in China (and shipped across the world - Not just the Asian market).

I haven't seen any other info stating the other cars will move to China.

EDIT: I clearly didn't read the article properly.

It also says the 60 series and 40 series will be built in China.

No mention of the XC90 specifically.

https://www.media.volvocars.com/glob...china-strategy

Torshen Mar 1st, 2017 16:55

Oh dear. Just spoken to my dealer who has confirmed the Pro variants, which basically just add in a bunch of commonly-selected options.

But the thing now on my mind is it looks like they've removed the option to have perforated leather (at least in blond, anyway) on the Momentum. Meaning I'm probably either going to have to downgrade the leather or upgrade to an Inscription with same spec.

The former (non-perforated leather) is not likely to go down well with the missus as she really loved that, and the latter (upgrade to inscription) is annoying for two reasons - firstly because playing around on the configurator previously it was about £2k-£3k more expensive to do the same spec on that trim level, and secondly because I genuinely prefer the raised-up roof rails on the Momentum. I think it gives it that slight Tonka toy look and I really like that.

So it's going to come down to whether we can live with the interior being imperfect or the exterior being imperfect, not two great choices to have to make. Really annoying of Volvo.

Lexman8 Mar 1st, 2017 17:13

I wonder then if there'll be some price advantage in going with a Pro rather than spec'ing individual options.

Re your choices now, I'd stick with the Momentum. I too like the raised roof bars and also the black radiator grille which looks good with Osmium Grey. As for the leather, I wonder how the perforations will look a couple of years down the line with the light blond colour once dirt gets in them. I had perforated (and ventilated) seats with light-coloured leather on the Merc but wouldn't bother with either of those options again.

Madmax06 Mar 1st, 2017 17:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torshen (Post 2241744)
Oh dear. Just spoken to my dealer who has confirmed the Pro variants, which basically just add in a bunch of commonly-selected options.

But the thing now on my mind is it looks like they've removed the option to have perforated leather (at least in blond, anyway) on the Momentum. Meaning I'm probably either going to have to downgrade the leather or upgrade to an Inscription with same spec.

The former (non-perforated leather) is not likely to go down well with the missus as she really loved that, and the latter (upgrade to inscription) is annoying for two reasons - firstly because playing around on the configurator previously it was about £2k-£3k more expensive to do the same spec on that trim level, and secondly because I genuinely prefer the raised-up roof rails on the Momentum. I think it gives it that slight Tonka toy look and I really like that.

So it's going to come down to whether we can live with the interior being imperfect or the exterior being imperfect, not two great choices to have to make. Really annoying of Volvo.

Get a preordered car from another Volvo dealer with the spec you want and still a MY17

Torshen Mar 1st, 2017 17:20

Madmax06 - there's no way anyone's going to have my full spec in stock. The things that seem hardest to find are blond perfed interior together with Xenium and side running boards. Not seen any with exact spec anywhere.

Lexman - agree it might be best sticking with Momentum and downgrading leather but it's not me you/we need to convince, it's the wifey. I'm just hoping that the Pro Inscription might offer enough of a discount to offset the upgrade if we go that route. The Inscription and R-design Pro specs include bigger alloys (21" for Inscription, 22" for R-design). But the Pro packs for those are 4k each still.

Lexman8 Mar 1st, 2017 17:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torshen (Post 2241762)
Lexman - agree it might be best sticking with Momentum and downgrading leather but it's not me you/we need to convince, it's the wifey.

I'll leave that to you... :-)

Quote:

But the Pro packs for those are 4k each still.
That's the one downside to some of these packs. You get things you either don't want or are really not bothered about but have to pay for them anyway.

The Japanese manufacturers realised a long time ago that incorporating quite a lot of stuff as standard and keeping the options fairly simple led to greatly simplified production control and scheduling and thus reduced costs. European manufacturers have often taken the opposite approach. Spec'ing some cars from the German marques in particular will give you a headache.

Torshen Mar 1st, 2017 17:44

Yeah I had a quick look at Merc GLS's just to see how they compared and the engine choices alone were quite extensive. Although that's not what made me discount them, it was the fact I could get two XC90's for the same price, basically.

Looking at what's included in the Pro packs I think it's mostly all stuff I've got specced already so still hopeful it might offer some discount, perhaps. Really annoying the 22" wheels I'm going for are an accessory and original wheels can't be traded back to recoup some without having to resort to eBaying unused wheels. Should have some proper answers by first half of next week I guess.

Torshen Mar 1st, 2017 17:49

Slightly off-topic, but what determines whether or not you have a seat with massage function? I see it mentioned in some places but it's not a speccable option anywhere, and I can't see where it mentions how you get it, or what causes you not to have it?

nickd Mar 1st, 2017 18:08

Does anyone know whats going to be included in the Pro pack? I'm debating whether to order now or wait a week or 2 for the new spec. Looking at R Design D5 with:
  • Family Pack
  • Air suspension
  • Winter incl HUD
  • Apple play
  • Xenium or surround camera incl blis
  • Leather would be a nice option but not at £1050
  • 7 seat comfort, nice to have but is there much difference in the back

Finally is it the 22" wheels which cause the sound problems?