Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Amazon: Amazon Estate Rolling Project (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=123242)

Volvo Canadian Aug 13th, 2011 13:03

Getting clooose! I know it is not polite to talk about money, but when looking at that car now, I'll bet you are happy you did it. I don't have a wife, but my girlfriend thinks it is a waste of time and money - sounds like your's is on-board.

Mine cost a bloody fortune, even though I did a lot of the work, but I saved a car from the scrap heap, and learned a lot. Kept me grounded while I was finishing my Master's thesis too.

People who work with wood say "wood gives (the sunlight) back many times." These cars pay back the investment every time we drive 'em.

A couple of more days, and I will 'get' to go home and fix the brakes, after they mysteriously stopped working when the car came out of the upholstery shop.

Jim

Burdekin Aug 13th, 2011 13:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by 940_Turbo (Post 964974)
Have you swapped the bumper brackets from left to right?

No didn't think of that. Will give that a try, thanks!

Burdekin Aug 13th, 2011 13:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by 122 Canuck (Post 964994)
Getting clooose! I know it is not polite to talk about money, but when looking at that car now, I'll bet you are happy you did it. I don't have a wife, but my girlfriend thinks it is a waste of time and money - sounds like your's is on-board.

Mine cost a bloody fortune, even though I did a lot of the work, but I saved a car from the scrap heap, and learned a lot. Kept me grounded while I was finishing my Master's thesis too.

People who work with wood say "wood gives (the sunlight) back many times." These cars pay back the investment every time we drive 'em.

A couple of more days, and I will 'get' to go home and fix the brakes, after they mysteriously stopped working when the car came out of the upholstery shop.

Jim

Yep nearly there Jim. My mrs is quite easy going and let's me do my thing as keeps me happy. I have spent more than I wanted and it's more shiny and new looking than I probably wanted as I want to keep as much character as possible.

Derek UK Aug 13th, 2011 20:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by 940_Turbo (Post 964974)
Have you swapped the bumper brackets from left to right?

I'm not going back up to the garage tonight to check but I think that the bumper irons will only fit one way due to the slope of the end sections where the bolts go through.

940_Turbo Aug 13th, 2011 20:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek UK (Post 965234)
I'm not going back up to the garage tonight to check but I think that the bumper irons will only fit one way due to the slope of the end sections where the bolts go through.

They are indeed handed, but his bumper is hanging way too low which implies that the irons are not on correctly.

pez Aug 14th, 2011 17:26

looking very impressive that mitch!
very straight and tidy,looking forward to seeing some pics of it with all four new wheels on and sat on level ground,coming along nicely for yer.
as with your new rear bumper...only thing i can suggest,which has already been mentioned,is maybe try and get a bit of movement and bending on the bumper irons to try and lift the whole thing up and more tight to the rear of the car.
cracking work though mate.

Burdekin Aug 14th, 2011 21:41

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by pez (Post 965573)
looking very impressive that mitch!
very straight and tidy,looking forward to seeing some pics of it with all four new wheels on and sat on level ground,coming along nicely for yer.
as with your new rear bumper...only thing i can suggest,which has already been mentioned,is maybe try and get a bit of movement and bending on the bumper irons to try and lift the whole thing up and more tight to the rear of the car.
cracking work though mate.

I've nearly got the bumper sorted. Graeme has some work to do getting the rear tailgate fit better so I'll wait until after then to finish off the bumper. Like you said the bumper irons need adjusting. I found that you have to especially follow the contour of the mounting bracket on the car body with the bumper irons for the side parts of the bumper, otherwise it just pulls flat when you do the nuts up and it will all be wrong. I got out the oxy torch and bent them more than required and then slowly bent them back in place. Just trial fit, adjust, trial fit, adjust etc until happy with the fit. I'll get them a bit better than what they are now and that should do I think as they will never be perfect.

Graeme is going to power wash underneath and then wax oil and underseal everything, then all 4 wheels will go on. I still need to sort the rear springs especially as it is annoying that saggy back end.

Didn't get the car started as there is a problem with the ignition and we have some wiring to sort out, did get it turning over and once the ignition is sorted will set the timing and should be a goer hopefully. The joys of reassembling I suppose...

Dibble Aug 14th, 2011 22:00

She is looking great Mitch. Love your wheels.

Burdekin Aug 21st, 2011 18:00

2 Attachment(s)
I started the engine and ran her for about 25 minutes at 2000 to 2500rpm. It was rather exciting getting her going again. I bought an optical tacho from ebay for about £8 and it works a treat and was very handy if anyone else is after such a tool. The carbs were running rather rich at first so I adjusted them so they are much better and equalised them at idle. I used a fuel monitor with a lambda sensor in the exhaust to help with the set-up. I had a problem with one jet overflowing fuel but that has been fixed. I borrowed a 123 dizzy from DJS to get her started but I don't think the timing was spot on but I'm installing the megajolt so just got the carbs set-up as best I could for now and will work on getting the ignition sorted and then back to get the carbs done as best I can once I know the ignition is correct. I need to get myself or borrow a timing light to check the timing, first off against the edis 10Deg limp home setting and then against the ecu map settings.

The back bumper is on, just need the front one now and to get her going again with the megajolt. Attached a couple of pics.

Dibble Aug 21st, 2011 21:15

She really is looking great Mitch. Sorry I have forgotten about your door spacers. Will get the wife to remind me cos she remembers everything!
Did a tank to tank check on the Amazon last week after 3 days of running to work - a round trip of 56 miles plus a couple of other reasonable runs. She returned 33.33 mpg. Very pleased with that.