Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Weak Headlights - Contact Volvo (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=86693)

Clan Dec 30th, 2012 14:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by danielg1980 (Post 1318880)
I've got an '07' V50 with, I believe, xenon's. I don't have the in car adjuster for the head lamp level but I do have head lamp washers.

I have only had the car a couple of months and a few things have gone wrong on it already. As I drive in town a lot I had not noticed how bad my dipped lights were until the weekend when driving home on an unlit section of the M25 in the rain I realised I had very poor visibility. Poor illumination over a very short distance. Main/full beam is fantastic, much better than the mini we had previously, but dipped is definitely a risk I wouldn't want to subject my wife to!

I was planning to remove the lenses for a good clean but are there any other options I could take to improve the output? I will also check the silver coating at the same time.

Cheers

I would wind the adjusters up as much as you dare it can make a huge difference .. the manual setting adjuster screws are on the headlamps . A lot of these headlamps seem to be set low , and focus on the ground in front which makes it impossible to go over 50 mph in the dark ..

danielg1980 Dec 30th, 2012 14:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 1318896)
I would wind the adjusters up as much as you dare it can make a huge difference .. the manual setting adjuster screws are on the headlamps . A lot of these headlamps seem to be set low , and focus on the ground in front which makes it impossible to go over 50 mph in the dark ..

That's exactly half the problem I've got.

Is this something that a novice diy'er could find and do easily?

Thanks!

Clan Dec 30th, 2012 14:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by danielg1980 (Post 1318917)
Is this something that a novice diy'er could find and do easily?

Thanks!

you could go to your friendly MOT guy and ask him to raise them as far as allowable , if he adjusts them up there will be a difference .
If you have a flat wall near you which you can drive towards in the dark watch the horizontal cut off part of the beam . if the line starts to go higher the nearer the wall you get it is probabaly too low . you will need a 7 mm socket on a long extension to adjust the headlamp aim there are two white hexagons , one moves the beam up and down and the other moves it left and right ... but if a novice get some advice from the MOT man or other garage with an aligner .

danielg1980 Dec 30th, 2012 15:26

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 1318919)
you could go to your friendly MOT guy and ask him to raise them as far as allowable , if he adjusts them up there will be a difference .
If you have a flat wall near you which you can drive towards in the dark watch the horizontal cut off part of the beam . if the line starts to go higher the nearer the wall you get it is probabaly too low . you will need a 7 mm socket on a long extension to adjust the headlamp aim there are two white hexagons , one moves the beam up and down and the other moves it left and right ... but if a novice get some advice from the MOT man or other garage with an aligner .

I do have a friendly local mechanic who may be able to help me out, would like to try myself tho. I take it I would need to leave the head lamp unit in place in the car and adjust it in situe? Thanks for the advice.

Also how would I know if I have xenon bulbs or not? Without removing them.

I have uploaded a couple of pics.

Cheers

ian7675 Dec 30th, 2012 15:29

They are Xenons.

Clan Dec 30th, 2012 15:41

yes adjust in place as long as they are not siezed ! You can see the white plastic adjusters at the top of the headlamp in your pictures .
Dont do anything inside the cover with the headlamps on as there are high voltages there as per the warning labels .

danielg1980 Dec 30th, 2012 16:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by ian7675 (Post 1318937)
They are Xenons.

After cleaning and adjusting is there a better bulb I can upgrade to? Should I still require I (which I suspect I will)

danielg1980 Dec 30th, 2012 17:05

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 1318942)
yes adjust in place as long as they are not siezed ! You can see the white plastic adjusters at the top of the headlamp in your pictures .
Dont do anything inside the cover with the headlamps on as there are high voltages there as per the warning labels .

Thanks, one last question tho;

Which one is the height and which does left to right?

I have rotated the image and marked each one with a different colour, the top of the picture is the top of the lamp.

Thanks again for your help with this. :-)

Clan Dec 30th, 2012 17:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by danielg1980 (Post 1319013)
Thanks, one last question tho;

Which one is the height and which does left to right?

I have rotated the image and marked each one with a different colour, the top of the picture is the top of the lamp.

Thanks again for your help with this. :-)

The red one is up/down .. no you cant get any better than a bi-xenon gas discharge bulb, you might go for two 4300k colour bulbs when yours expire they are slighty yellower and hence produce more visible light .. the standard ones are 6000k which is more white . I notice volvo are supplying these more yellow ones as spares now .

danielg1980 Dec 30th, 2012 17:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 1319033)
The red one is up/down .. no you cant get any better than a bi-xenon gas discharge bulb, you might go for two 4300k colour bulbs when yours expire they are slighty yellower and hence produce more visible light .. the standard ones are 6000k which is more white . I notice volvo are supplying these more yellow ones as spares now .

Excellent, thanks for all your advice!!