Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   20" Wheels - excessive road noise (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=252744)

familymangreg Jul 5th, 2016 22:08

Deman77 / Skep, do either of you have Bowers & Wilkins sound?

:wq

neon Jul 5th, 2016 22:09

What I find really puzzling is no reviewers have really mentioned road noise in any strong way. Also nothing really from owners in USA.

familymangreg Jul 5th, 2016 22:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by neon (Post 2135232)
What I find really puzzling is no reviewers have really mentioned road noise in any strong way. Also nothing really from owners in USA.

I know, Steve Fowler from Auto Express for example commented on how quiet the cabin was. Looked like he was on 20's, but Spanish roads!

PerfidiousAlgernon Jul 5th, 2016 22:49

Wheels, etc

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philip Fisher (Post 2135212)
Did the 21 to 19 conversion lead to a step change in noise for you? What tyres are the 19s running?

There's a definite improvement on the smaller wheels, which you'd expect, but it's not a step change. In both cases the tyres are Pirelli.

Clan Jul 5th, 2016 23:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skep (Post 2135219)
I've got an R-Design on 20" standard wheels, continental tyres and sprung suspension, the noise is an issue, but I am learning to accept it as I love the car. If there was a solution I'd jump at it, once my tyres are worn out they will be replaced with another brand but for me it's going no to be a while yet, currently done 4,500 miles since 1st March, unless someone can prove a different brand are better then I may change early.
As for pressures, mine were set at the Eco pressure of 40psi, I've dropped them to 36psi, they still resonate but not quite as much but the road noise I would say is very similar as at 40.
It is something Volvo need to address and I would test drive a new model before I thought about another in 3 years time. What a fantastic car though!

your front tyres should be 35 psi and rear 32 psi with 20" wheels to minimise noise .... try that ...

eax Jul 5th, 2016 23:15

One language they would understand is bad press. If only some of these "expert" reviewers picked up on the seriousness of the noise issue and report on it. They should know right? Since they also regularly drive the established premium brands. I bet if the experts made that much noise (pardon the pun) over the issue, Volvo would do something about it.

neon Jul 6th, 2016 00:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by eax (Post 2135270)
One language they would understand is bad press. If only some of these "expert" reviewers picked up on the seriousness of the noise issue and report on it. They should know right? Since they also regularly drive the established premium brands. I bet if the experts made that much noise (pardon the pun) over the issue, Volvo would do something about it.

But again I do not understand as some reviewers are doing long term tests and still not mentioning it. This thread is getting populated fast.

basoom Jul 6th, 2016 07:30

I test drove ( year ago) inscription on 20" and noticed the road noise to be as issue however decided to order an XC90 because I loved everything else. I went for the R design expecting for the road noise to be as much. I was surprised when I drive it and found the noise not as much as intrusive as in the inscription.
Don't get me wrong, road noise is still excessive but found it not as bad the test drive car. Now I don't know is this me getting used to it with biased biew or there's actual difference.
I am sure none of them have air suspensions.
I have not changed tyre pressures on mine as they are 260-270 on all fours.

Have anyone notice a difference between the two?

Bassoon

Skep Jul 6th, 2016 07:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by familymangreg (Post 2135231)
Deman77 / Skep, do either of you have Bowers & Wilkins sound?

No just the standard sound for me

familymangreg Jul 6th, 2016 08:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by neon (Post 2135293)
But again I do not understand as some reviewers are doing long term tests and still not mentioning it. This thread is getting populated fast.

I know, I notice Steve Fowler from Auto Express is running at D5 Inscription on 20's as a long termer at the moment. I've mailed him for his thoughts.