Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Battery problem? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=106831)

Daleman Oct 26th, 2010 10:45

The Cure?

Anybody knows how easy it is to trickle charge the battery if you are leaving the car for extended period to avoid this?

Can you just connect on your trickle charger with bulldog clips and let it charge or is it a battery off job so as not to upset any of the other wiring circuits?

Pebble Oct 26th, 2010 10:58

Usage makes a big difference

I have not had any problems with mine, but then I have used it a lot for long journeys (did about 19,000 in its first year.) And I try to avoid just nipping down to Tesco in it.
If you do short journeys all the time you will use up more power from the battery starting the car than you are able to put back in the battery during the journey. Then if it is left for long periods unused you will have problems with the battery being drained and not having enough power to start the engine.
That said - there are clearly some "other" problems because a new car in normal use shouldn't have these sorts of issues even is left unused for several weeks.

wimorrison Oct 26th, 2010 11:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daleman (Post 765615)
Anybody knows how easy it is to trickle charge the battery if you are leaving the car for extended period to avoid this?

Can you just connect on your trickle charger with bulldog clips and let it charge or is it a battery off job so as not to upset any of the other wiring circuits?

I cannot see how doing this would cause any issues, after all the car is always drawing current from the battery to keep it 'alive'. All you would be doing is supplementing this current.

A car with functioning alternator, good connections and a serviceable battery will recover the charge lost to a start within 10mins of driving - even in cold weather where the effort to start the engine is consideraly higher. You can also reduce the starting current on a manual car dramatically by putting your foot on the clutch when starting. This prevents the starter motor from turning over the gearbox and can reduce the current drawn by 20-30% :)

Regrettably no way to do this on an autobox, which will always draw more current :(

XC60KEV Oct 26th, 2010 11:48

[QUOTE=wimorrison;765646] You can also reduce the starting current on a manual car dramatically by putting your foot on the clutch when starting. This prevents the starter motor from turning over the gearbox and can reduce the current drawn by 20-30% :)QUOTE]

Never thought about it that way but seems very logical - great tip :)

Teejay1 Oct 26th, 2010 11:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by wimorrison (Post 765646)
You can also reduce the starting current on a manual car dramatically by putting your foot on the clutch when starting. This prevents the starter motor from turning over the gearbox and can reduce the current drawn by 20-30% :)
(

You have to do this in the manual anyway otherwise it won't fire at all.

XC60KEV Oct 26th, 2010 11:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teejay1 (Post 765657)
You have to do this in the manual anyway otherwise it won't fire at all.

Now you come to mention it very true - forgot about getting a nice picture of a size 10 boot in the display every time I start the car! ;)

PP1098 Oct 26th, 2010 12:14

Battery

With all due respect guys, why are we debating as to how we should reduce the current drawn from a new battery on a new car in order to ensure it fires up???

I have a 4 yr old Ford Focus and I often leave it for a month without starting and it fires up in 1 second as soon as I turn the key!!! There is no excuse for Volvo or any other manufacturer if the battery is dead because you left your car idle for a week... It does not make sense to me, this is unacceptable. They should put a bigger battery or sort the electrics / ac management out.

Back in 1920 maybe it would be OK. Not today.

P.

wimorrison Oct 26th, 2010 12:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by PP1098 (Post 765667)
With all due respect guys, why are we debating as to how we should reduce the current drawn from a new battery on a new car in order to ensure it fires up???

I have a 4 yr old Ford Focus and I often leave it for a month without starting and it fires up in 1 second as soon as I turn the key!!! There is no excuse for Volvo or any other manufacturer if the battery is dead because you left your car idle for a week... It does not make sense to me, this is unacceptable. They should put a bigger battery or sort the electrics / ac management out.

Back in 1920 maybe it would be OK. Not today.

P.

excellent - you don't need any advice, guidance or help then :)

there is nothing wrong with trying to make life easier - either for yourself - or your car battery

Daleman Oct 26th, 2010 12:32

Yes I agree it shouldn’t happen but we are constructively trying to find a way of perhaps sorting the problem for those who might encounter it on return from say a winter holiday.

PP1098 Oct 26th, 2010 12:54

.. yes, OK I agree with you both. btw thread was started by someone else I just added my thoughts. You are right it is usefull I just want to know if any dealer anywhere poitned out the real cause for this.

P.