Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Car functionality. (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=290512)

I Feel Old Jan 10th, 2019 19:51

Tis all very interesting fellas, however it doesn't help me understand my issues…and you'll likely put those in the know off admitting they have modern cars.:shocked::laughing-smiley-003

I'll confess to being somewhat won over by technology over the years. Most, but certainly not all, technology enhancements I dismissed have pleasantly surprised me over the years.

An example on my last car being the bendy xenon headlights. It was new, but sitting in the showroom with the dealer desperate to shift it, so xenon I had an open mind on, the bendy bit I simply thought was a gimmick…no longer, so much so I wanted them on my Volvo…and of course along with that comes the shadow technology…not perfect, but a fantastic function.

In addition the new to me in the Volvo which, having previously seen as a gimmick, I rate;

The HUD
Auto speed limiter
The tailgate sensor opening (if I could get it to work properly)

The Thong Jan 10th, 2019 20:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by I Feel Old (Post 2483661)
Tis all very interesting fellas, however it doesn't help me understand my issues…and you'll likely put those in the know off admitting they have modern cars.:shocked::laughing-smiley-003

I'll confess to being somewhat won over by technology over the years. Most, but certainly not all, technology enhancements I dismissed have pleasantly surprised me over the years.

An example on my last car being the bendy xenon headlights. It was new, but sitting in the showroom with the dealer desperate to shift it, so xenon I had an open mind on, the bendy bit I simply thought was a gimmick…no longer, so much so I wanted them on my Volvo…and of course along with that comes the shadow technology…not perfect, but a fantastic function.

In addition the new to me in the Volvo which, having previously seen as a gimmick, I rate;

The HUD
Auto speed limiter
The tailgate sensor opening (if I could get it to work properly)

I had a V60 D4 Inscription as a courtesy car recently and I have to agree with you there. The HUD is a nice feature once you get over staring at it rather than where you’re driving and where has the active limiter been all my life? Ok, it’s got a flaw in it which is a little annoying but maaaaan I like it. Motorised tailgate? I can live without that, it’s a potential fail that could be a pain in the chuff. I have bendy lights on my V60 and they’re ok but I can live without em TBH. I have to admit though, I’m quite taken with the glass roof with retracting headliner. Modern cars are great until they go wrong then it’s off to the dealers rather than patching em up on the side of the road enough to get you home.

I Feel Old Jan 11th, 2019 14:28

I have established the red car warning was City Safety detecting an obstacle.

It has 3 settings with mine being on normal. Reluctant to reduce its sensitivity for now so will monitor it.

A bit concerning that it activated without me considering there to have been any risk.

Surprised no one else has experienced it, you can’t all be running around in Classic Volvos?:teeth_smile:

ThomasG Jan 11th, 2019 15:27

(Stating personal and biased view)

Quote:

you can’t all be running around in Classic Volvos?
Why not?

Most of volvos that I see nowadays are either "classics" (that is over 10 years in this example), and drivers seem mostly aware of what's going on around them. I can quite easily expect good percentage of those to at least visit this forum.

Then there's new ones. Unfortunately, what I see (and it may be different elsewhere) mostly big, driven by someone whose head barely clears dashboard, self centered and apparently requiring at least 30 metres clearance on both sides of car to pass safely.

Now, I wouldn't expect such a person to even know of this sites existence..

All that is actually a half-joke.

I may be only having a little of a banter session here, but yes, unfortunately I can see something I call for myself "a BMW behaviour" with more and more Volvo drivers. Interestingly- new models.

MikeGMT Jan 11th, 2019 16:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomasG (Post 2483910)
(Stating personal and biased view)

Why not?

I may be only having a little of a banter session here, but yes, unfortunately I can see something I call for myself "a BMW behaviour" with more and more Volvo drivers. Interestingly- new models.

Thomas, it's when they start displaying Audi syndrome, then you have real problems. :hidesbehindsofa:

ThomasG Jan 11th, 2019 16:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeGMT (Post 2483922)
Thomas, it's when they start displaying Audi syndrome, then you have real problems. :hidesbehindsofa:

Let's hope it'll never get to that ;)

I Feel Old Jan 11th, 2019 16:20

Okay, how about a simple question for you simple folks?:teeth_smile:

Do any of you have the sensor (under the bumper) operated tailgate, and if you do does it work flawlessly, ie every time?:teeth_smile:

Welton Jan 11th, 2019 16:32

I'm guessing you mean the tailgate opening/proximity sensor? you waggle your foot around in the vein attempt to look organised but hopelessly missing the target? :)

If so is it not just a case of cleaning the sensor 'eye' (if it has one) I'd imagine it'll be caked in shyte at this time of year.

ThomasG Jan 11th, 2019 16:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by I Feel Old (Post 2483930)

Do any of you have the sensor (under the bumper) operated tailgate, and if you do does it work flawlessly, ie every time?:teeth_smile:

:p :p "simple folks" :p :p

Not me, no.
Neither bendy lights, reversing sensors, etc...

MikeGMT Jan 11th, 2019 16:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by I Feel Old (Post 2483930)

I just press a button, works every time. :teeth_smile: Can't be doing with a aerobics workout each time I want to put something in the boot. :bricks: