Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Is there a cheap volvo fault code reader? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=93168)

400-ascona Dec 10th, 2010 17:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluey_xc90 (Post 795066)
I have the BSR PPC Diagnostic system - not sure if still available but allows for reading all the codes and clearing them. Nordic car parts used to do them at a reasonable price (around £100 if I remember correctly). Very useful and compact.

My brother has BSR PPC, and got it around that price because he had the tuning map. The advantage with the BSR is that it does the stereo, seats, aircon etc. The disadvantage is its only any good on the one vehicle (I think).

gshadow325 Dec 11th, 2010 01:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by 400-ascona (Post 795074)
My brother has BSR PPC, and got it around that price because he had the tuning map. The advantage with the BSR is that it does the stereo, seats, aircon etc. The disadvantage is its only any good on the one vehicle (I think).

There is IIRC a BSR PPC Diagnostic and a BSR PPC tuner + diagnostic

I have a BSR PPC Diagnostic and it is not married to one car, the tuner unit on the other hand is tied to one vehicle.

BSR PPC Diagnostic is a great tool, i bought it used for $175, they show up on ebay here and there for $200ish

400-ascona Dec 11th, 2010 07:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by gshadow325 (Post 795295)
I have a BSR PPC Diagnostic and it is not married to one car, the tuner unit on the other hand is tied to one vehicle.

In that case I stand corrected, if its not tied to one vehicle make/model, then it certainly is a good tool as it reads all the modules and fault codes.

gshadow325 Dec 11th, 2010 12:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by 400-ascona (Post 795311)
In that case I stand corrected, if its not tied to one vehicle make/model, then it certainly is a good tool as it reads all the modules and fault codes.

the ones with the tune is married to the car, you stand correct before you corrected yourself, well half correct. until we get corrected again, correct? not trying to be correct if i needed to be corrected. correct me if i need to be corrected!

LOL :)

400-ascona Dec 11th, 2010 13:43

It all seems to be as correct as it needs to be. And I appreciate being half corrected.

bluey_xc90 Dec 12th, 2010 10:24

BSR diagnostic definitely not tied to one vehicle - have used it on three different Volvos now, including up to an 08 model. It is selectable whether pre 04 model or post 04, as I presume that there are slightly different formats between them. I got it from Nordic for £64 including postage about 3 years ago and one of the best buys I have ever made!

400-ascona Dec 12th, 2010 10:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluey_xc90 (Post 795980)
BSR diagnostic definitely not tied to one vehicle - have used it on three different Volvos now, including up to an 08 model. It is selectable whether pre 04 model or post 04, as I presume that there are slightly different formats between them. I got it from Nordic for £64 including postage about 3 years ago and one of the best buys I have ever made!

I am still unsure if it is just Volvo's, or if it will read other makes.

D5Gill Dec 17th, 2010 21:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by D5Gill (Post 794404)
I just ordered one (Autel EU702) for £95 based on a recommendation here on the forum - thank you 400-ascona.
Waiting for it to arrive - I will let you know how good it is once I have a play.

http://www.auteltech.com/eu702.htm

Well, it arrived this afternoon and I've had a play with the device. It seems to tick all the boxes for me. Showed several errors and cleared them out for me. Fixed my SRS problem - indicating two faults with the sensors - Spot on! it hilighted the two sensors I had unpluged during my intercooler repair.

It also showed a few errors which I wasnt aware of, namely fuel pressure low then fuel pressure high and also the brake pedal out of tolerence. Also works a whole host of other cars when the correct adaptation is uploaded to the unit.

Thanks 400-Ascona for recommending this unit. £95 well spent in my opinion.

Banzai Dec 18th, 2010 09:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by 400-ascona (Post 795983)
I am still unsure if it is just Volvo's, or if it will read other makes.

As far as I understand (and I have done a fair bit of research into this) the BSR PPC devices are Volvo specific but not car specific.

It appears that their tuning kits are "married" to a particular vehicle presumably to stop people sharing the kits between multiple users.

Can I have a link to the Autel702 for £95 please?

D5Gill Dec 18th, 2010 14:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Banzai (Post 799744)
As far as I understand (and I have done a fair bit of research into this) the BSR PPC devices are Volvo specific but not car specific.

It appears that their tuning kits are "married" to a particular vehicle presumably to stop people sharing the kits between multiple users.

Can I have a link to the Autel702 for £95 please?

PM sent..

:-)