Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   36 volt systems what are the pros and cons (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=11911)

noiseboy Aug 19th, 2002 10:29

RE: 36 volt systems what are the pros and con

You can buy a 240v Invertor at halfords for a few quid.

It'll give you 240V AC at about 3A from a 12V DC Supply.

Phil :-)

pettaw Aug 19th, 2002 11:35

I knew someone would know :)

Andy

4 forty Aug 19th, 2002 13:23

i read all your replies with interest, but the point i am making is the additional cost to both car owners, and workshops.
the diy man will have to buy a new battery charger for a start, all diagnostic equipment will have to be compliable with 36 volts, is this also going to be used for an exuse to hype up the prices of alternators, starter motors, voltage regulators, etc.
all caravans, trailers etc will have to have 36 volt bulbs fitted, a big spin off for the bulb manufacturers!

foggyjames Aug 19th, 2002 16:41

Indeed - we have a 150w invertor for emergencies on-site, and for running a small PC off the car :)

James

sheerwater Aug 19th, 2002 16:57

Bulb manufacturers wont be the only ones!! All current cars will be scrap/obsolete so no popping down to your local scrappy for bits to fit!!
Its being going like this for some time as the last time I bought an indicator bulb they had to look up the configuration of the pins in the book first!!! It goes back to some of my previous postings. You will soon be tied to the dealer, the chances of getting the car fixed at the side of the road will be nil and hours will be wasted while the car is dragged off to a dealer who of course will be shut or on holiday. It will be obligatory to have roadside rescue etc.etc. Now thet Hyundai have the 5 year warranty its going to be Buy it Drive it and Scrap it. Interestingly enough the Hyundai warranty should mean that the first 2 MOTs are passed F.O.C. Cheers Nigel

George Holmer Aug 20th, 2002 16:35

This is absolutely correct. My old grandmother used one of those hand driven type writers. If it stopped working, she would simply bang on a little bit and it would work just fine. A couple of screwdrivers would sort out anything serious. Compare that to a computer today where you pay (as a company) thousands of pounds a year for the maintenance contracts to have simple things done like replacing faulty RAM.

George

'87 745 GLE Turbo Diesel Intercooler
'88 745 Turbo Intercooler

pettaw Aug 20th, 2002 19:09

ah yes but without the damn things we wouldn't have the sophisticated cars and this fabulous forum would we?

Andy

George Holmer Aug 22nd, 2002 09:40

This is indeed true. This is an example of the two sides to everthing.

George

'87 745 GLE Turbo Diesel Intercooler
'88 745 Turbo Intercooler

SG Aug 22nd, 2002 11:39

Actually the new battery systems will be 42V.

As someone has already stated, the main advantage is the reduction in current for the same amount of power. This allows smaller (and thus much lighter) gauge wire to be used throughout. I guess it will also allow more scope for the use of different rechargeable battery technologies.

The change has been planned for some time now so there's already quite a healthy support base. Do a search on Google for "42V Car Battery" and you'll see what I mean.

Scott

sheerwater Aug 22nd, 2002 17:41

It makes you wonder why 6 then 12 volts were chosen for a car in the first place. Everything will go round in a circle eventually. its like train rail guages which ended up as the mysterious 4ft8 and a half inches even though other sizes were experimented with. I have got a feeling that some makes will be 12 or 24 or 36 or....... so that again only the exact part from the main dealer will fit. And another thing who will be the first to blow all their electrics giving somebody a jump start !!!!!! And what about your plug in adaptors for computers,phones etc. All obsolete as usual. Ho Hum. heers Nigel