Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   200 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   240 Insurance (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=68595)

rippedoffagain Mar 17th, 2009 11:38

What is this 'club scheme' you all write of? My insurance is due for renewal in July so will be looking for a good deal around June.

I've always paid around £300 for my insurance on other cars, but when I phone my current insurer to tell them about my change of car, they charged me extra and told me that the equivelant annual premium would have been £440. Considering no penalty points, 6 years NCD, and age in mid 30s I thought that was a bit high for 3rd party, fire and theft.

the alarming man Mar 17th, 2009 18:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suterman (Post 478360)
A lot of people have points nowadays, the insurers aren't too fussed as in the past.

Try insuring it as a classic or on a limited miles policy if you don't use the car much.

My 240 2.3 turbo costs me £300 a year with Adrian Flux with 3 points, the turbo and suspension declared and 5 years no claims, (modified car insurance) I'm 33 now though.

However, I just got a metro 1.0 and for some reason, that is costing £270 (holds hands up and shrugs)

and as for points only thing insurance companies are looking for is a ban for drunk in charge as it is sooooo easy to get done for speeding!

mine is on a classic policy it was the ordinary policy that wanted just south of 700 and that was third party fire and theft...with classic policy i save 500 and get fully comp and breakdown cover..jobs a goodn:thumbs_up:

Clifford Pope Mar 18th, 2009 08:20

Try Privilege. Club schemes are always useless in my experience. They have a captive market and don't try very hard. Privilege gave me a second full NCD when I got my second Volvo even though I had previously only had classic policies. Privilege beat the classic quotation, allowed unlimited mileage, and offered the full NCD just on my driving record.

TPFT is not necessarily cheaper than comprehensive. Comprehensive drivers have better accident records, TPFT is often the last refuge of the driver with a poor record.

catch22 Mar 18th, 2009 08:40

Just did my first full year Insurance on the 54 plate S40 2.0D SE yesterday. I used Gocompare, and Compare the market. Gocompare was the cheapest.

Churchill, Fully Comp, NCP, LP, £100 excess, spouse as other named driver £211.05
I did the breakdown/recovery cover with Rescue My Car £28.75 [with home start £37.95]

Edit: of course I'm ancient

radiomark Mar 18th, 2009 08:40

I'm with Admiral this year on a multicar policy.They let me use my full no claims on the 740 and also gave a discount on the 240.
came out a £400 fully comp to cover both cars.

just look at how many insurance ads there are on the telly,they're desperate for your custom,so shop around and see what the comparison sites come up with.
Also try adrian flux.they gave me a good deal last year.