Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Start/Stop behaviour contrary to owners manual (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=326972)

SnineT Aug 8th, 2022 13:01

It's nothing to worry about engine wise as the oil will be up to pressure and circulated fully by the time junction one arrives, it's an annoyance for those that dislike the function more than anything, personally I liked it, I didn't think I would having listened to others who've had it in the past but the serenity in addition to the smell of nearby Lavender really zoned me out into a calming alternative reality until trying to find a parking space brought me back to this reality, oh well it was nice while it lasted. :D

Cloth Ears Aug 8th, 2022 15:11

I like it on balance, but it does have its irritating aspects. I try to manage the energy when I drive, so minimise wasteful braking - a bit of anticipation for slowing down, and so-on, without inconveniencing other road users, obvs. That quite often means I approach a queue and come to a halt and immediately set off again. The car stops, coughs, restarts and off we go. It's not a problem, just a minor interruption to the smooth progress that would have happened without the stop-start. And, as I mentioned upthread, I don't like the idea of dazzling the car behind with my brake lights, just so I can use the stop-start system.

Easington Aug 8th, 2022 17:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloth Ears (Post 2838658)
Also, why does it need the footbrake applied? Why can't it work with the parking brake applied? According to the manual, it will restart if you release the footbrake, which means stopping at junctions with your foot on the brake rather than using the parking brake. That's not good practice.

This is every single car I've driven with stop/start not just Volvo

Moomoo Aug 8th, 2022 17:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easington (Post 2838764)

I think the whole idea is case of ; just because you can, doesn’t mean you should!

I always switch mine off, press start, press disable, automatically.👍

Easington Aug 9th, 2022 07:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moomoo (Post 2838767)
I think the whole idea is case of ; just because you can, doesn’t mean you should!

I always switch mine off, press start, press disable, automatically.👍

Not saying I agree with it or that it's how it should be.

Personally my stop/start doesn't kick in very often but the first time it does I disable it. One advantage of having two dashcams with parking mode enabled

glynh Aug 9th, 2022 08:04

I really dont get the hate for stop-start

archie159 Aug 9th, 2022 09:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easington (Post 2838764)

Not in my other car, a Tiguan. You brake with the foot pedal, when stopped the engine stops (and unlike the XC60, it waits a second or so, which I do prefer as it avoids that constant cutting-out in stop/start traffic). The hand brake automatically engages and you can take your foot off the brake pedal without the engine restarting - engine restarts when you touch the accelerator (or, if you have adaptive cruise control, which I do in that car, it starts when the car in front moves off).

It's definitely better than the volvo approach.

Easington Aug 9th, 2022 13:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by archie159 (Post 2838873)
Not in my other car, a Tiguan. You brake with the foot pedal, when stopped the engine stops (and unlike the XC60, it waits a second or so, which I do prefer as it avoids that constant cutting-out in stop/start traffic). The hand brake automatically engages and you can take your foot off the brake pedal without the engine restarting - engine restarts when you touch the accelerator (or, if you have adaptive cruise control, which I do in that car, it starts when the car in front moves off).

Aha, I've never had a car with an auto handbrake

Clan Aug 9th, 2022 15:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by archie159 (Post 2838873)

I can see why Volvo don't do it that way . what if a pedestrian runs through the gap just as the stop start comes in and it pulls away? Does it have pedestrian detection ?

archie159 Aug 9th, 2022 16:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2838970)
I can see why Volvo don't do it that way . what if a pedestrian runs through the gap just as the stop start comes in and it pulls away? Does it have pedestrian detection ?

Car doesn't drive off automatically - it's just that the engine starts when the car in front moves off. Driver can either then touch the CC resume button, or use the accelerator. As I said, it works very well.