Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Horrible MPG, V50 2.0D MW 2009 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=287979)

The Thong Oct 30th, 2018 20:38

Ok.... What’re you basing your calculation on? Trip meter or Tank to Tank useage calculation? If you’re hammering the knackers off it then that could partly explain poor MPG. On the motorway you should get at least mid 40’s and low 50’s if being careful.

Ghost83 Oct 31st, 2018 06:53

Yeah, pretty much tank to tank measurement! And I am a slow driver so nooo speeding and stunts!
As I said on the freeway it was fantastic. The needle did not even move the slightest!

The Thong Oct 31st, 2018 16:51

Interesting issue, so on a run you’re getting expected MPG and round town it’s awful. Errrrm? I’m stumped mate. Curiously, what’s your estimated mpg on the motorway?
Reason I asked, my 50 had an iffy fuel gauge. I could drive 90 miles without the needle leaving the full mark and then it’d drop until quarter tank and then I’d only used six or seven gallons of fuel. Reset your MPG meter and see what readout it gives you as a rough guide. It’s a bit odd that it’s good on fuel on a run and appalling around town... Doesn’t make sense.

TT

Ghost83 Nov 1st, 2018 01:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Thong (Post 2462660)
Interesting issue, so on a run you’re getting expected MPG and round town it’s awful. Errrrm? I’m stumped mate. Curiously, what’s your estimated mpg on the motorway?
Reason I asked, my 50 had an iffy fuel gauge. I could drive 90 miles without the needle leaving the full mark and then it’d drop until quarter tank and then I’d only used six or seven gallons of fuel. Reset your MPG meter and see what readout it gives you as a rough guide. It’s a bit odd that it’s good on fuel on a run and appalling around town... Doesn’t make sense.

TT

I’d do if the car had a trip computer! But it does not!

LizardOfBodom Nov 1st, 2018 16:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tigrincs (Post 2462795)
I’d do if the car had a trip computer! But it does not!

So it is actual "fuel put into tank vs miles I made" calculation? Well, "congratulations" then as you manage to burn more than my T5 :shocked:
Wish I can give you any pointers but no clue about diesels - are you able to hear/check your Turbo? do you feel it spooling, does car feel OK and no sluggish? any weird noises? Air filter is clean?

Ghost83 Nov 2nd, 2018 21:00

This is why I said that I only commute to and from work. Barely heats up to temp, if ever!

Everything is perfect pretty much in the engine bay. No noise whatsoever. Goes like a bullet! I can’t say anything about the turbo! Never had a diesel before. Don’t know how it should sound, and to be honest I don’t even hear how this one sounds.

I wish I could plug it onto VIDA. Maybe that would tell me.

When I check the hidden menu (read button + double tap on rear foglight) I can see some DTCs. Some are SET, some are READY, and some are “CHECKING” but never actually changes. Hence I would need a VIDA!