Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850/x70 S1 Sales (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Strut brace for sale (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=321618)

Fazat Dec 2nd, 2021 20:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by RollingThunder (Post 2789829)
I sold my genuine Volvo one to a VOC member a few months ago for £150

That's salt in the wound right there :cry_smile: :cry_smile::laughing-smiley-018
I managed to resist upgrading any of the rollbars.......but I did look at the upgrades.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ITSv40 (Post 2789869)
A strut brace does nothing on a tin top, other than gaining max chav points. It transforms a convertible, hence the prices achieved.

There is " max chav points" points to be gained. I have never had a strut brace to gain those points but in the early 90s I did have twin wiper blades and silly clipon wiper arm fins stuck on my car... In dayglow pink!

I have seen a few complete Volvo C70 for sale with the strut bar fitted to them for £500 total! Crazy I tell you Crazy

rudi dudi Dec 3rd, 2021 20:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by ITSv40 (Post 2789869)
A strut brace does nothing on a tin top, other than gaining max chav points. It transforms a convertible, hence the prices achieved.

And potentially damaging/mangling the opposite side inner wing etc if you have a bump.Instead of the damage being limited to say one area/side the force is also transmitted to the other side strut turret with potentially damaging consequences.

RollingThunder Dec 4th, 2021 09:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by rudi dudi (Post 2790412)
And potentially damaging/mangling the opposite side inner wing etc if you have a bump.Instead of the damage being limited to say one area/side the force is also transmitted to the other side strut turret with potentially damaging consequences.

This is why I don't like them and sold mine

Fazat Dec 6th, 2021 13:25

Interesting that had never even crossed my mind, nice to know though.

acshortt5 Dec 6th, 2021 15:33

If your car takes a hit big enough to move one strut tower I think it's going to be academic whether you've got a strut brace that makes the other side move. With the value of these cars and the costs of repair anything above a quick wing swap will be an economic write off.

Also looking at how the strut brace is fastened and the fact it's fairly thin ally I reckon the bar would bend way before the other side moved.

Rich850R Dec 8th, 2021 06:44

10 years ago when I bought the R, totally standard, first thing I did was put a strut brace on. Night and day difference on handling (still a wafty barge) It wasn’t also for “chav points” either

brickman Dec 12th, 2021 19:36

At that price I think I might need to thin my herd then, jesus, got most of mine for between free and maybe £40 over the years. Every car I've done up and sold on has had one fitted.

Fazat Dec 24th, 2021 13:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by brickman (Post 2792607)
At that price I think I might need to thin my herd then, jesus, got most of mine for between free and maybe £40 over the years. Every car I've done up and sold on has had one fitted.

Ah man, just seen your post brickman. I would have been sending you a PM if I had not already found one :teeth_smile:
I just hope that it is in good enough condition when it arrives

putty Dec 27th, 2021 11:35

For anyone looking I've found one of these which has been sitting in my garage for ages - for sale thread to follow when I get some pictures!

rudi dudi Dec 27th, 2021 21:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fazat (Post 2795399)
Ah man, just seen your post brickman. I would have been sending you a PM if I had not already found one :teeth_smile:
I just hope that it is in good enough condition when it arrives

On a serious note I hope you didn't pay silly money for one.They do nothing to improve handling and a waste of time for normal everyday driving.
Strong placebo effect maybe but nothing else.