Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Snapped Cam Belt - XC90 2015 new shape (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=304155)

Zebster Mar 2nd, 2020 22:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by LCC (Post 2605942)
Yes the D5

D5 is a power rating, can be either 5-cylinder or VEA 4-cylinder, depending on year. Not sure when it changed.

SuffolkBoy Mar 3rd, 2020 08:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zebster (Post 2606016)
D5 is a power rating, can be either 5-cylinder or VEA 4-cylinder, depending on year. Not sure when it changed.

I didn’t think the the 5 cylinder Diesel engine was put into the SPA XC90 - thought the 2 litre 4 cylinder VEA engine was used and either called D4 or D5 depending on bhp output.

Dastardly Diesel Mar 3rd, 2020 09:34

Looks like the savings made by not having this done at a dealer could turn out to be very expensive. Fingers crossed the fault is identified and you don't get stiffed for it.

LCC Mar 3rd, 2020 12:15

1 Attachment(s)
Update:

Garage has confirmed that water pump was replaced with cam belt.

Volvo have sent me a diagnostics report which is a lot of garbled numbers. copy attached if anyone speaks Volvo

Ive arranged with the independent garage to have an independent DEKRA mechanic with them when they investigate the issue. Im happy to stomach the £199 to be certain if the issue is down to a poor cam belt replacement or unrelated third party issue with the engine.

Whippy Mar 3rd, 2020 12:32

Well, if it's not the pump or the tensioners it has to be the belt surely? Good luck with it and let us know the results.

Clan Mar 3rd, 2020 12:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whippy (Post 2605878)
One thing commonly overlooked is the water pump, these have been known to seize and snap the belt. Best practice is to change it at the same time.

That's Just hearsay I am afraid unless you can provide some evidence , It is unheard of with volvo water pumps ..

Clan Mar 3rd, 2020 13:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by LCC (Post 2605835)
Hi,

Looking for some advice on my 2015 Volvo XC90 D5 Inscription.

Its a new shape model with 104,000 miles on the clock.

The car was serviced at Volvo Warwick all through its warranty period up to 90,000miles

In late October at 96,000 it had a full service at the local independent volvo garage which included replacing the cam belt and all other belts and filters

On Saturday whilst travelling on the motorway the car entered limp mode and booted me onto the hard shoulder. It was recovered to the local volvo garage who have advised that the cam belt has snapped (£156 for the pleasure of telling me that!)

Ive spoken to the independent garage who replaced the cam belt and they have said to bring it back to them to check over as the parts should be under warranty "as long as nothing else has made the cam belt snap"

Obviously I'm looking into the face of a very expensive repair bill and wanted to arm myself with some info.

What other things could make the cam belt snap other than a faulty belt or poor installation?

The key factor here is did the non approved garage use genuine volvo parts and do they know how to correctly tension the belt?
In any case there can be no goodwill from volvo anymore ... you/or your garage have a potential £10,000 bill there .

The belt should have been changed at 90000* MILES did volvo warwick do it then if the service was after May 2019 ?

* = The cambelt change interval was changed from 144000 miles / 10 years

to 90000 miles / 10 years last May ... so was any service undertaken after that date with the car showing more than 90000 miles ?

In any case the latest garage that did the cambelt is most likely responsible . i would get an independent report done by the volvo garage to determine the exact nature of the failure , Belts dont just break on their own especially new ones .

regarding the water pump why did they change it? A reason is needed apart from making money , , It is not part of the service schedule and again was it a volvo one ?

Whippy Mar 3rd, 2020 13:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2606185)
That's Just hearsay I am afraid unless you can provide some evidence , It is unheard of with volvo water pumps ..

And yet, the garage still changed it. Oh well, perhaps they didn't know that.

Clan Mar 3rd, 2020 13:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whippy (Post 2606195)
And yet, the garage still changed it. Oh well, perhaps they didn't know that.

There is a lot they didnt know perhaps ! but we cannot speculate . proof of the actual cause is needed by those who do , the volvo garage , they cant just say oh the belt is broken for the £150 bill !

XC90Mk1 Mar 3rd, 2020 15:00

I would be under no doubt that a poorly fitted cam belt was the cause here. I also am under no doubt you will struggle to prove it (not impossible).

Spending £199 to have an Independant there is money well spent. If for any reason he is not present I would not let work or review begin.

Sounds like you are doing a spot on job so far!