Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Body/Trim: 850: Does bumper burning work? Find out. (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=32910)

Georgey dee Feb 25th, 2007 19:41

Just had a go at the only bit of original trim i have, the rear bumper. Looks loads better. I plistered a tiny bit of paint but when it cooled it looked fine. It looks darker, more like the rest of the car. My only niggle (and its a small one) is that it's hard to get an even look but i'll look again after a few days and if it bugs me i'll go over it again.

bb54 Feb 25th, 2007 20:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Georgey dee (Post 210622)
Just had a go at the only bit of original trim i have, the rear bumper. Looks loads better. I plistered a tiny bit of paint but when it cooled it looked fine. It looks darker, more like the rest of the car. My only niggle (and its a small one) is that it's hard to get an even look but i'll look again after a few days and if it bugs me i'll go over it again.

ahhh, stop it, just when i had a plan worked out :)

wayne

RiPsTa33 Aug 28th, 2007 19:01

Just wondering if any of you chaps who tried this can update on the long term effects?

Georgey dee Aug 28th, 2007 19:51

It has made a bit of a difference but after a few months it comes back. The only way I can see round it is to spray the plastic black or the same colour as the car.

ShadeTek Aug 28th, 2007 20:12

My front bumper has faded back a bit too. I will try reburning again to see if it will return back again. Still cheaper than painting or polishing etc.

Craig ii Aug 29th, 2007 23:19

I have herard that smooth peanut butter works marvels, mmmm peanut butter.

julianoakes Aug 30th, 2007 06:34

Bumpers

Why do the bumpers go so nasty I wonder? On my white 850, the bumpers produce long black streaks on the bodywork.
Somebody was selling grey 'bumper dye' on ebay. A product from German co. Wurth. Has anybody tried this? Reports please! Anybody know the price/availability of new rubber bits for rear bumper from Volvo?cheers

Andy Bytheway Aug 30th, 2007 20:28

Peanut Butter - "you got to be joking"

Hi,

There is mention somewhere in this thread to try peanut butter!!!! - well I just happened to have a jar of smooth Sainsbury's peanut butter so nothing better to do/game for a laugh etc - well I tell you I am amazed! it works a treat, just rub on with one cloth and wipe off with another - 20 minutes the whole car done and smells quite nice too - in fact one of my cats started licking my front bumper! - it gives a much better finish than the £8 bottle of back to black I have been using - also as a bonus I get the dreaded red patchy dull finish on the roof and boot of my car as most red cars seem to suffer from - well a good rub with the peanut butter and the paintworks gleaming! - fantastic.

Honestly if you don't believe me try it yourself the results are amazing

Cheers
Andy

RiPsTa33 Aug 30th, 2007 20:32

I think you could probably just use peanut oil rather than actual peanut butter! While your on you could put a bowl of fruit in the car for that lovely citrus smell:Dancing_chief:

ShadeTek Aug 31st, 2007 22:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by julianoakes (Post 282634)
Why do the bumpers go so nasty I wonder?

A lot of plastics are sensitive to ultra-violet rays ...usually from the sun. This can cause ageing and brittleness. You can now get tie-wraps which are UV resistant for outdoor use.