Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   ABS controller fuse - where? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=338539)

griston64 Mar 5th, 2024 13:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeanH (Post 2939217)
I suspect it has a poor battery but generally it starts ok yes. I've had a quick look on d24 and I think I'll be in need of it soon to sort some other issues.

Had a look in the centre console just now, it does have the OBD 1 port so it looks like I need to make a reader.

Alf ( aka Loki the GLT ) on here makes them and may even have one ready made if you're lucky ! He's a top man :teeth_smile:

DeanH Mar 5th, 2024 14:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by griston64 (Post 2939228)
Alf ( aka Loki the GLT ) on here makes them and may even have one ready made if you're lucky ! He's a top man :teeth_smile:

Yeah spotted that on another thread. I've sent him a message to see if he still makes them. Sounds like it would cost me similar to make one myself.

J liddy Mar 5th, 2024 19:38

Never heard of a d24 with a OBD reader .so interesting stuff if it has .can you post a photo of it .?

DeanH Mar 5th, 2024 21:43

Here you are

Https://ibb.co/7W3kZRF

J liddy Mar 6th, 2024 07:30

So that replaced my 2 black boxes on the right hand pillar next to the ABS unit under the bonnet Dean .that's interesting . Have you thought about just buying another ABS sensor plug it in to each side and check ABS light .as I'm thinking 1 of the front wheel sensors has failed after 27 years of salt and grime .

DeanH Mar 8th, 2024 14:41

The magic box of tricks says the code is:

1-5-1 - Left front wheel sensor: open circuit or short-circuit to battery voltage.

New sensor time.

EDIT: Presumably front left is UK passenger side?

J liddy Mar 9th, 2024 08:20

Just as I guessed Dean there's been a few on this forum if you need advice on doing the job please get in touch .I'm a carpenter and I did mine ok pick a nice dry day if doing job on the drive like I did o and plenty of tea .regards jim

DeanH Mar 9th, 2024 15:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by J liddy (Post 2939873)
Just as I guessed Dean there's been a few on this forum if you need advice on doing the job please get in touch .I'm a carpenter and I did mine ok pick a nice dry day if doing job on the drive like I did o and plenty of tea .regards jim

Yes unfortunately everything's going to be done outside. At least the weather seems to be improving, I think I'll tackle it the week after next. Got the centre prop bearing to do at the same time.

J liddy Mar 9th, 2024 19:54

Hi Dean .have you removed the wheel bearing on one of these cars ..if not take car sliding it of the hub use both hands to keep it clamped together as I had a issue it managed to come apart if it does it only goes back together one way hopefully that won't happen ! What brand of ABS sensor are you thinking of buying?
Regards jim

DeanH Mar 10th, 2024 16:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by J liddy (Post 2939964)
Hi Dean .have you removed the wheel bearing on one of these cars ..if not take car sliding it of the hub use both hands to keep it clamped together as I had a issue it managed to come apart if it does it only goes back together one way hopefully that won't happen ! What brand of ABS sensor are you thinking of buying?
Regards jim

No, I've watched a couple of videos of others doing it and I'll have some tipex on hand to try avoid unbalancing the driveshaft.

Not sure on brand. I priced up genuine parts at Brookhouse and it came to £120ish. Meyle bearings and a Lexmark sensor from.ebay came to about half that. So probably the cheaper option as this isn't all it needs for an MOT unfortunately.