Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Diesel Engines (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   General D5 engine used without oil. Very sad :-( (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=318412)

Davadava Jul 20th, 2021 11:41

The dealership has sent a decent apology.

They have admitted liability.

They have instructed their insurers (Aviva) so I suppose that they feel 'off the hook' or am I being unfair?

The insurers assessor is to visit the car.

The insurers are trying to arrange a suitable vehicle as a temporary replacement.

I hope it isn't a Landrover. Been there, done that, from Defenders to Range Rovers (all new) - Ok when they work. It's a long time since I was a member of the Bonnet Up Brigade!

The insurers are already hinting at writing it off.

10 year old car, expensive repair etc. etc.

They don't understand do they?

JonnyA Jul 20th, 2021 12:03

Feel for you on this - They certainly don't / do not want to understand.
Stick to your guns for a full repair (new engine) in your car.
You've had it from new, built to your spec. No doubt you've looked about but autotrader only has a couple that broadly match (age, milage) at £12-13k add in that (to you) these are wrong colour/spec & unknown and the cost to the insurer of the new engine isn't going to get close.
Unfortunately it could be time to warm up the legal beagles on your side - wishing you all the best on this & hoping they play ball.

XC90Mk1 Jul 20th, 2021 12:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonnyA (Post 2755041)
Feel for you on this - They certainly don't / do not want to understand.
Stick to your guns for a full repair (new engine) in your car.
You've had it from new, built to your spec. No doubt you've looked about but autotrader only has a couple that broadly match (age, milage) at £12-13k add in that (to you) these are wrong colour/spec & unknown and the cost to the insurer of the new engine isn't going to get close.
Unfortunately it could be time to warm up the legal beagles on your side - wishing you all the best on this & hoping they play ball.

It will be written off. A new engine supplied and fitted by Volvo is likely north of £15,000 to £20,000. And with insurers choosing to write off vehicles at 30-50% of book value there is not a chance of getting a brand new 20K engine on a car that books probably at half that.

To the OP, it’s clear that you need to argue for the best payout you can get. I have heard of persons printing other advertised vehicles with similar servicing and schedules etc and achieving a fair and decent payout.

The legal route is an option however given that the insurers must legally put you back to the position you were originally in you may struggle. And with solicitors charging £xxx an hour you will soon be very deep out of pockets. Remember if you lose your case you have to foot the bill for the other side often.

Sorry to hear this.

On the upside it is good to know you have not been offered a 3K remanufactured or refurbished engine…

Bonefishblues Jul 20th, 2021 12:41

Keep pushing. Dealerships have insurance for a reason, even if they are reluctant to use it.

XC90Mk1 Jul 20th, 2021 12:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonefishblues (Post 2755053)
Keep pushing. Dealerships have insurance for a reason, even if they are reluctant to use it.

They are using it. The insurance company will ensure he is compensated to the value of a 10 year old Volvo in good condition with good service history.

That’s the problem.

T5R92011 Jul 20th, 2021 13:00

Society is so wasteful. Could easily just put a 2nd hand D5 engine in for cheap.
Everything is write off these days.

XC90Mk1 Jul 20th, 2021 13:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by T5R92011 (Post 2755060)
Society is so wasteful. Could easily just put a 2nd hand D5 engine in for cheap.
Everything is write off these days.

Yes you could. You are very right and that’s what will probably happen (insurance company wrote it if, it’s repurchased and put back on the road).

I assume however you would lead from the front and if you had a £15,000 car with impeccable history you would allow them to fit a remanufactured engine with a 12 month warranty??

Nope, didn’t think so.

As is so often the way it’s the insurance company and dealerships at waste not tue OP.

Bonefishblues Jul 20th, 2021 13:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 (Post 2755055)
They are using it. The insurance company will ensure he is compensated to the value of a 10 year old Volvo in good condition with good service history.

That’s the problem.

Ah, I hadn't kept up at the back...

Simmy Jul 20th, 2021 17:52

another option is to let them write it off and then make a sensible low bid for the salvage then get the engine completly rebuilt by a reputable engine builder you will end up with money in your pocket and the car that you have loved and cherished back on your drive . this is an option . i have done this with several cars . its a very satisfying feeling to know that you beat the insurance and all the red tape that acompany them good luck .

Davadava Jul 20th, 2021 19:15

Thanks Simmy

Great idea, I have started researching a couple of localish firms to see what they'll charge and warranty.

I have also asked a (different!) Volvo dealer to quote for the work.

I've approached Volvo UK also as they presumably allow certain garages to sell their product and as such are surely endorsing those dealerships.

Though I know it isn't Volvo's fault directly, they do recommend/insist? that dealers do the work on our cars (certainly during the warranty period).

The worry is totally knackering, also still awaiting a hire car that'll tow 2200kg.

Thanks again