Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Split type cv boots (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=240604)

4candles Nov 29th, 2015 16:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul240480 (Post 2018871)
My mobile mec fitted bail cast stretchy ones on my 850. One split after 6 months or so. Both shafts were stuck/seized but he sorted it eventually.
I fitted a tongue and groove split boot, but it only lasted around 4 months.
The joint became noisy so I got my mobile fellah to fit a jandr replacement complete with boot kit. Took him about 40 minutes.
On my V70 he replaced a CV for me. Mine has the plastic ones. That took him about the time it took me to brew him a cuppa.

:lala::lightning:

RM955I Nov 29th, 2015 16:32

There seem to be cheap sh*t split boots and better quality items. True I have no experience of them but reading reviews and watching the video, the ones I mention do seem to be a good solution.

4candles Nov 29th, 2015 16:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by RM955I (Post 2018877)
There seem to be cheap sh*t split boots and better quality items. True I have no experience of them but reading reviews and watching the video, the ones I mention do seem to be a good solution.

Definately worth a punt, keep us updated anyway.:thumbs_up:

ps. Top Tip= whichever end you start the glue-up, just put a single tack of glue in first and let set, then as you apply the remainder the boot groove will remain true and not mis-match. Also do an inch at a time.

Dancake Nov 29th, 2015 18:37

Fitted a split boot to a Passat last year that was used as a Joe Baxi. It came with a small packet of what appeared to be face mud, but in it went anyway. Took around 15 minutes all in, but I knew that the boot was already on borrowed time even though it was new. The two locking clips were made of heavy duty tin foil, and there was no sign of a tongue or groove anywhere on what was probably the cheapest universal boot that one could possibly acquire on ebay. 3 weeks later and I was getting accused of incompetency by the taxi driver, as the face mud had decorated the surrounding area in a rather interesting looking centrifugal splatter pattern. Swore never to fit a split boot again unless it was a half decent one.

Paul240480 Nov 29th, 2015 22:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4candles (Post 2018875)
:lala::lightning:

Pfft:thumbs_up:

RM955I Nov 30th, 2015 12:01

It has occurred to me that using the same method of accessing the hub as the reluctor ring replacement (unbolting the strut), I could equally use a stretch CV boot and replace in situ, which does away with any concerns about split type replacements not bonding properly.

Georgeandkira Nov 30th, 2015 12:30

True, but it reintroduces the concerns over the thinness of the stretchy boot. Kira (T&G FOREVER!)

RM955I Nov 30th, 2015 15:11

Well, nothing is ever simple is it!

The Hippo Red people don't seem to reply to emails or their FaceBook page.

I'm not sure about the suitability of stretch ones as they all seem to be outers and GSF reckon it's a "tri-something or other" that features special rubber bungs internally????? Eh!

Ringing around various suppliers...is drawing a blank: they all seem to be staffed by disinterested people who can barely grunt down the phone:err: J&R were particularly unhelpful.

How hard can it be!

volvoid Nov 30th, 2015 15:44

So which are the decent ones ?

presumably not the cheapest on evilbuy ?

4candles Nov 30th, 2015 15:54

Seems to me that Hippo Red ones are not easy to procure....
if your intention is still to try a split kit then this may be as good as you need.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-...#ht_1189wt_961

Will get you on the road anyway i'm sure!

* Something i have not tried but may also work on a cleaned up boot is self-amalgamating tape on a bed of rubber glue, particularly if the damage is on one of the raised crowns...?