Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   ETM Issues (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   is this etm fault (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=119989)

GMad May 2nd, 2011 14:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by RUTV70 (Post 870491)
The problematic ETM's were all Magnetti Marelli.(Approx 1999-2001).....on a 2002 wouldn't it be a Bosch unit.?..which were not a problem.
If that's the case I'd look elsewhere.!..MAF sensor.?
Ideally..get the codes read.!

Neil

My S60 has the Bosch unit on it, but did have an uneven tick over and eventually illuminate the management light!
When I took it off (a pretty straight forward job), there was a small amount of crud in there. So a good clean using carburettor cleaner and an old toothbrush, soon had it running correctly and extinguished the management light too.
It wasn't especially dirty, but I think the main issue was probably the crud around the edge of the butterfly!

littonlad May 5th, 2011 15:03

Can I get an opinion please?

I have a 2000 V70 that has what I think is the ETM problem. It's a Marinelli ETM with a white sticker so I don't believe it's been replaced at all.
I get the ETM light on 'only' when the car is in D(drive) and I'm either pulling away slowly or stuck in slow moving traffic at that speed where the auto box can't quite make it's mind up whether to change down or not. When it's on the engine exhibits what I'd call rapid hunting. Sometimes the engine management light will come on, sometimes not. Either way if I stop, switch off, then start again the ETM clears and the car runs fine again till it happens next time. A battery disconnect clears the engine management light.
To circumvent the problem I've taken to driving it like a semi-auto. Instead of using D(drive) all the time I pull away in 3, then change up to 4 and D when necessary. When slowing down I drop it back to 4 and/or 3. It seems to work for me, but I'd like to get the problem fixed once and for all.
Also, I've seen several for sale on fleabay at various prices. One guy is saying that the one he has for sale is 'plug and play', ie for my car/year no programming is necessary. Is this likely to be true?
Any advice most gratefully received.
John

RUTV70 May 5th, 2011 15:48

Have you tried cleaning the "butterflies" as a first step.?..get rid of all the carbon/crud build up.!
(do a search on here to see)
You certainly have the "problematic" ETM (Marelli)..and as far as I know you either replace it..or get it refurbed...either will cost at least £300..more for the replacement I guess as I understand they have increased in price recently. BBA Re-manufacturing will refurb it for you.
It HAS to be "married/programmed" to your specific car if you replace it like for like (main dealer or Volvo Indy) ..if you refurb, it doesn't. ('cos it's the same one being put back).
Have a read of the ETM problems history on here and you will get a good idea of the situation.

Neil

littonlad May 5th, 2011 18:21

Thanks Neil,

I've looked at the butterflies without taking the unit off the car and they look pretty clean, but I will get it off and give them a going over anyway.

I've been in touch with BBA also and they want £35 to test the unit, if it's faulty then £150 plus vat & postage to repair (but that then includes the test fee), so that seems fairly reasonable if it comes to it. Turn round time will be around a week in total by the sounds of it.

Fingers crossed.........

Clan May 5th, 2011 18:43

sounds a good service , why cant volvo uk do this , use BBA to recondition exchange units that volvo supply them ?

RUTV70 May 5th, 2011 19:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by littonlad (Post 900156)
Thanks Neil,

I've looked at the butterflies without taking the unit off the car and they look pretty clean, but I will get it off and give them a going over anyway.

I've been in touch with BBA also and they want £35 to test the unit, if it's faulty then £150 plus vat & postage to repair (but that then includes the test fee), so that seems fairly reasonable if it comes to it. Turn round time will be around a week in total by the sounds of it.

Fingers crossed.........

good luck, mate..at least it's all "do-able".!!
Let us know how ya get on in the end.

Neil

mikealder May 5th, 2011 20:03

Having used the bba service I couldn't fault it, at the price they are quoting it's a bargain, get the fault codes read from the car to confirm it's the ETM rather than the throttle posn transmitter then get the ETM fixed if the codes confirm what's wrong, you get a two year warranty from bba thrown in as well - Mike

littonlad May 7th, 2011 09:24

ETM will be posted to BBA on Monday. Hopefully should have it back by Friday.
I'll update as and when.

littonlad May 7th, 2011 17:10

Getting it off by the way was a right 'bu**er', the cable was routed behind the starter motor. 2 dislocated wrists and several scratches to my forearms later I managed to remove the starter motor bracket without either taking out the fan or the manifold off. 2 small 10mm nuts and 1 12mm bolt.
:thumbs_up:

RUTV70 May 7th, 2011 18:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by littonlad (Post 901597)
Getting it off by the way was a right 'bu**er', the cable was routed behind the starter motor. 2 dislocated wrists and several scratches to my forearms later I managed to remove the starter motor bracket without either taking out the fan or the manifold off. 2 small 10mm nuts and 1 12mm bolt.
:thumbs_up:

MUST be a turbo...thankfully mine's not and much easier to "get at".

Neil