Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Diesel Engines (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   General Volvos and chip fat (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=45405)

CTCNetwork Nov 29th, 2007 01:22

Hi,
Quote:

Originally Posted by ivor940 (Post 317532)
Hi, As for as I know, the 6 cylinder 940 TD is a 6 cyl vervion of the old 4 cyl 1.6 VW Golf Diesel. It has no issues running on veg oil. As other posters said, watch if air temp is low enough to solidify the veg oil.

ivor940

It is the same as that used in the VW LT Van..
Whether that was a 6 cylinder version of the golf one I know not..

But it is an old engine and not common rail so should be Ok with veggie oil.
You may want to add a pre-heater to the fuel pipe before the injectors to help running.

Des. . . ;)

DLM48 Nov 29th, 2007 11:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald (Post 326137)
And also a brilliant induction heating unit for injection pipes.

http://www.dieselveg.com/bioplantrix...ion_heater.htm

Roy

I think it is much more critical to heat the SVO before the injection pump - you are not going to damage an injector with cold thick SVO but for sure you can overtax the injection pump and the drive to it if you feed the injector pump with cold thick SVO. I am trying to find 12 volt pipe heating tape to heat the pipe from the tank to the engine bay. Get yourself a Fiat Punto 1.7 TD fuel filter assembly the top alloy fixture has a heating element in it (looks like another glow plug) - i think that is active during a cold start only i.e. is live when the glow plugs are activated which on the Fiat is at every start but it should be fairly easy to put a thermostat in circuit so it is on all the time the ignition is on. In fact two in series might be a good solution with one only live when the glow plugs are active and the other live at all times the ignition is on. Looking at it again it might even have a built in thermostat need to look into this pictures to follow.

tfb Nov 29th, 2007 12:04

3 Attachment(s)
I have been running on 50/50 SVO and diesel for about 6000 miles now. I have got an Elsbett kit to convert the car to run on 100% SVO, but I've only installed part of it so far....lack of time!
The kit consists of an coolant heated heat exchanger, an electric filter heater, new fuel filter, 6 new glowplugs, 6 new injector nozles, a few relays and lots of pipes, fittings and jubillee clips and an instruction manual.
The maual is not too bad, being a translation from German, but it has at least been translated by a person not a computer.
I have still to install the injectors and the last two glowplugs and some of the control wiring for the glowpugs.
The concept of the kit is that the electric fuel heater heats up the filter up until the coolant temp has got up to 70C and then it's turned off as the heat exchanger is now heating the fuel, the glowplugs are longer in length and stay on for a longer time (not sure how long as I haven't got the new control wired up fully yet). As for the new injectors, I believe they are a slighty different shape and are supposed to atomise the thicker fuel better.
I am not sure if it will start ok on 100% SVO as the electric filter takes a bit of time to heat up. I did try it on 100% as an experiment and it wouldn't start on a cold morning, but we'll see if the new injectors and last 2 glow pugs make a difference.
If the engine is warm it will run quite happily on 100% SVO, so if once I have finished installing the conversion kit if I still have problems in the morning I'll look at adding a small tank for diesel for the start and end of my joruneys. Luckily all my trips are over 15 miles and most are 90 mile commutes.
Doing 600-1000 miles a week, the prospect of only paying 57p a litre is most attractive and the smell from the car is great too! :)

regards

TFB

DLM48 Nov 29th, 2007 12:47

2 Attachment(s)
well i got it wrong after reading the manual - hey i am a male :-) the thing that looks like a glow plug appears to the the thermostat and there is a black plastic insert between the filter canister and the filter mount that is the pre heater see pictures still think this is a good and cheap and easy way to pre heat your SVO still not sure if this is running all the time as the Fiat manual is not very detailed on this part of the car but will investigate there is also a BIG fuse and a relay in circuit.

bobcat Nov 29th, 2007 12:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLM48 (Post 317487)
HO HUM totally legal and NO TAX to pay if you drive less than 20,000 miles P/A I run my Fiat Punto TD on VO generally Rapeseed Oil (AND it has a rotary pump) 100% successfully - run with 20% /50% pump diesel in the winter. The car is TOTALLY as it came out the factory NO mods and has 150K on the clock. One of my friend who is in the RAF runs his MB 250TD on Jet Fuel just sits the car under a Tornado or Nimrod for an hour or to to fill the tank :-( TD is touring Diesel BTW not Turbo no room for a turbo on RHD cars booooooooooo hoooooooo

Is that true? i thought bio fuel\diesel was subject to duty to be used legally on the road. However even with the duty i think supermarket veg oil is still cheaper than diesel.

DLM48 Nov 29th, 2007 13:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by tfb (Post 326302)
I have been running on 50/50 SVO and diesel for about 6000 miles now. I have got an Elsbett kit to convert the car to run on 100% SVO, but I've only installed part of it so far....lack of time!
The kit consists of an coolant heated heat exchanger, an electric filter heater, new fuel filter, 6 new glowplugs, 6 new injector nozles, a few relays and lots of pipes, fittings and jubillee clips and an instruction manual.
The maual is not too bad, being a translation from German, but it has at least been translated by a person not a computer.
I have still to install the injectors and the last two glowplugs and some of the control wiring for the glowpugs.
The concept of the kit is that the electric fuel heater heats up the filter up until the coolant temp has got up to 70C and then it's turned off as the heat exchanger is now heating the fuel, the glowplugs are longer in length and stay on for a longer time (not sure how long as I haven't got the new control wired up fully yet). As for the new injectors, I believe they are a slighty different shape and are supposed to atomise the thicker fuel better.
I am not sure if it will start ok on 100% SVO as the electric filter takes a bit of time to heat up. I did try it on 100% as an experiment and it wouldn't start on a cold morning, but we'll see if the new injectors and last 2 glow pugs make a difference.
If the engine is warm it will run quite happily on 100% SVO, so if once I have finished installing the conversion kit if I still have problems in the morning I'll look at adding a small tank for diesel for the start and end of my joruneys. Luckily all my trips are over 15 miles and most are 90 mile commutes.
Doing 600-1000 miles a week, the prospect of only paying 57p a litre is most attractive and the smell from the car is great too! :)

regards

TFB

good kits but expensive you forgot to say which car you have how old and mileage on the engine etc. as well as where you are located and what was the cost of your kit? A wee touch of petrol (up to !0%) in your SVO should get over your cold start problem or even run on a Diesel/SVO mix in the winter. If you look at my post on the Fiat filter this is internal not just an external blanket thing so will be much better/quicker at heating the SVO. Seems strange that none of the SVO people have found this Fiat fuel pre heater (SHHUUUUSH keep it quiet Volvo owners only). I would have thought that longer glow plugs were easy to source i cant believe these are Elsbett parts but std parts sourced from another vehicle the coolant pre heater is for sure available from many sources and actually the injection pump once warm is a very good heater for the SVO so i think the coolant pre heater is a fix for a non existent problem probably a good belt and braces thing though. That said Cold Starting is the BIG ISSUE as far as i can see.

DLM48 Nov 29th, 2007 13:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobcat (Post 326317)
Is that true? i thought bio fuel\diesel was subject to duty to be used legally on the road. However even with the duty i think supermarket veg oil is still cheaper than diesel.

of course it is true i am NOT a MD ;-) up to 2,500 liters = NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO TAX - on the Fiat that equates to 20/25,000 miles and if you can get WVO for free - or if bought clean and water free at 20ppl that is seriously cheap - new clean Rapeseed at 50/60ppl

bobcat Nov 29th, 2007 13:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLM48 (Post 326322)
of course it is true i am NOT a MD ;-) up to 2,500 liters = NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO TAX

Any more info on this? website etc?

Its funny, i was talking to a private taxi driver on tuesday and he mentioned something along the same lines. I personally didnt believe him as i couldnt see the govement missing out on all that duty.

Upto 2500 litres, does it only apply to a certain type of bio diesel?

edit: just found this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ch/6288920.stm

DLM48 Nov 29th, 2007 13:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobcat (Post 326326)
Any more info on this? website etc?

Its funny, i was talking to a private taxi driver on tuesday and he mentioned something along the same lines. I personally didnt believe him as i couldnt see the govement missing out on all that duty.

Upto 2500 litres, does it only apply to a certain type of bio diesel?

look on the C&E site seems it was costing a fortune to handle all the small people who were sending in pennies and pounds of tax HE HE yes the wee people won this one.

bobcat Nov 29th, 2007 13:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLM48 (Post 326330)
look on the C&E site seems it was costing a fortune to handle all the small people who were sending in pennies and pounds of tax HE HE yes the wee people won this one.

thanks, just posted up a link above to the story on the bbc.

might have to find myself a nice 850 tdi now.