Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   D3 vs D5 - Direct comparison (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=99967)

wimorrison Aug 8th, 2010 08:29

Interesting - managed to find a comparison between the two engines and it surprised me that the difference of 42 BHP and a lack of AWD results in a difference of only 1.1 MPG!

http://www.volvocars.com/uk/explore/...rformance.aspx

I know that the published figures are not what to expect (except in one case :)), but as we are doing a comparison that is largely irrelevant.

This means that the figures that Daleman has reported are probably correct, and that they are inline with an expectation of a real world which is 10-15% below the theoretical laboratory conditions.

Vecais Aug 8th, 2010 08:53

It does not surprise me. You rarely can get something for nothing. I would expect that the smaller engine pushing the same mass around would get approximately the same fuel mileage as the equivalent larger engine.

However, it is good to hear that the 2L engine has good performance, similar to the 2.5L engine, up to reasonable operating speed. Good enough for most people.

In Oz generally there are no speed limits above 110 kph. But they do not offer the D3.

Edit: Of course, the D3 is FWD only which may not suit the Australian market.

NewVolvo Aug 9th, 2010 20:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by wimorrison (Post 719882)
Interesting - managed to find a comparison between the two engines and it surprised me that the difference of 42 BHP and a lack of AWD results in a difference of only 1.1 MPG!

http://www.volvocars.com/uk/explore/...rformance.aspx

I know that the published figures are not what to expect (except in one case :)), but as we are doing a comparison that is largely irrelevant.

This means that the figures that Daleman has reported are probably correct, and that they are inline with an expectation of a real world which is 10-15% below the theoretical laboratory conditions.

Very interesting figures indeed! However, my mpg figure of 47mpg would be for the extra urban as I mainly did motorways, looooong ones and almost no traffic, cruise etc. Some obvious fast stints on the unrestricted sections in Germany.

However, having the D5 myself, there is no-way I would ever get anywhere near the indicated figure. Not even by knocking off 10%!!

wimorrison Aug 9th, 2010 20:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewVolvo (Post 720862)
Very interesting figures indeed! However, my mpg figure of 47mpg would be for the extra urban as I mainly did motorways, looooong ones and almost no traffic, cruise etc. Some obvious fast stints on the unrestricted sections in Germany.

However, having the D5 myself, there is no-way I would ever get anywhere near the indicated figure. Not even by knocking off 10%!!

Ahhh, memories of when I lived and worked in Germany - wonderful country, excellent food and good fun on the autobahn :)

NewVolvo Aug 9th, 2010 20:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by wimorrison (Post 720868)
Ahhh, memories of when I lived and worked in Germany - wonderful country, excellent food and good fun on the autobahn :)

Agree on all points! Currently I enjoy all those things every week.... :)

r-designbob Aug 10th, 2010 02:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by wimorrison (Post 720868)

Was you a bricky or chippy? :D

wimorrison Aug 10th, 2010 12:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by r-designbob (Post 721052)
Was you a bricky or chippy? :D

Neither :)

'Squaddie' for a few years then had to start working for a living :) - but the hotels and rewards became better when I started to work for a living, and Munich/Frankfurt were so much nicer that Hanover!

NewVolvo Aug 11th, 2010 20:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by wimorrison (Post 721245)
Neither :)

'Squaddie' for a few years then had to start working for a living :) - but the hotels and rewards became better when I started to work for a living, and Munich/Frankfurt were so much nicer that Hanover!

Agree!! Hannover is not the nicest place in Germany, although the surrounding areas are very nice!

Teejay1 Aug 29th, 2010 10:06

Loaded D5 Geartronic

Only had the D5 for a day but I'm impressed with its overtaking capability. Give me so much more confidence to overtake. Engine noise at idle is louder than I thought it would be, even louder than my trade in Picasso.

Early days yet, I've also got a message which states "Coolant Low". Got this error when moving the car a few yards to let someone out. So I'll have to take a look this morning before heading off to Robin Hood's Bay in about 10 mins.

NewVolvo Aug 29th, 2010 14:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teejay1 (Post 731889)
Only had the D5 for a day but I'm impressed with its overtaking capability. Give me so much more confidence to overtake. Engine noise at idle is louder than I thought it would be, even louder than my trade in Picasso.

Early days yet, I've also got a message which states "Coolant Low". Got this error when moving the car a few yards to let someone out. So I'll have to take a look this morning before heading off to Robin Hood's Bay in about 10 mins.

The D5 really has great pull and overtaking ability. It pulls like a steady train and doesn't stop until you hit the limiter...