Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Would you buy another Volvo? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=143331)

r-designbob Jan 17th, 2012 17:08

Yes I'd have another, in fact I'm thinking of getting the C30 for better fuel consumption, now that I'm officially retired and I don't need to carry tools and stock etc.

jays40 Jan 17th, 2012 18:20

I have owned three volvo's, two 440's and a S40 i am looking forward to owning my 4th volvo. So thumbs up for me.

ASt85 Jan 17th, 2012 18:21

definitely would....

Yes definitely would, but will go for an older model e.g. 850/940/760/240 & etc primarily because having experienced the ridiculous behaviour of the on board electronics of the more recent models, I would rather go for a better built model that can be mechanically managed, without the obscure software that ties components to a particular VIN number.
Reasons – {but not necessarily in the right order Mr. Preview.}
1) - It is not environmentally friendly to throw away repairable components just because the manufacturer likes to make even more profit off the back of serial and multiple one-off eproms.
2) - Simplicity makes for a more reliable piece of merchandise, whether that it be a single bladed razor or a 137mph car.
3) – Spending ever increasing amounts of money on a new car neither makes initial economic sense nor the longer term devaluation.
4) – Newer cars have a shorter projected life span than those that were manufactured more than 15 years ago, both in terms of the longevity, gauge and quality of the metals used in their construction and the ability to rebuild components.
5) – What is actually wrong with having the ability to grease a bearing on a regular basis rather than throw it away after 140K miles?
6) - Even if you have to pay someone to do the greasing, it provides employment and is more user friendly of diminishing metal resources.
7) – A model name is easier on the ear than a maker’s name and a model number.....................
8) – You don’t need a PhD in programming to activate a software update to operate the headlights or lighter.
9) - Timing chains may chatter, but duplexes rarely fail!
10) - Old f***s prefer cars where you can see the engine, oil leaks, belts and visually count the spark plugs rather than look at "nice" matt plastic covers with the makers name on!

darbs Jan 17th, 2012 20:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matteus XC60 (Post 1071179)
I want the other family car to have some sporting credentials, and, for me at least, Volvo still doesn't have that.

what about an s60 heico? 330ps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZe1EyfU7Xw

GMad Jan 17th, 2012 21:29

I didn't vote in the poll because I really am open minded..
Ford Mondeos are figuring quite high on my like list at the moment, but that could change?

JIM C Jan 17th, 2012 21:47

I bought my first in 1986 a 240 GLT and owned a Volvo ever since. Unlikely to buy anything else. The seats are a great selling point. Nothing I have driven has been so comfortable.:thumbs_up:
Jim

844PHW Jan 17th, 2012 21:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyM (Post 1071150)
I've just bought a new C30 and they were quite happy to swap the spare wheel and tool kit out of my old one.

With a full size spare, I would probably want to swap the complete set of wheels (where incidentally I rotate the front ones with the spare), I can't see anyone complaining - after all the buyer would get a set of new alloys and tyres on his second hand volvo.

jimbg Jan 18th, 2012 08:57

OK, one person says "no way nellie" !

I would be interested to know why?

Thanatos Jan 18th, 2012 09:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASt85 (Post 1071314)
10) - Old f***s prefer cars where you can see the engine, oil leaks, belts and visually count the spark plugs rather than look at "nice" matt plastic covers with the makers name on!

Oh Dear i must be getting old as have allways prefered to tsee the engine rather then a peice of plastic that hides the leaks

and oh yeah i would have another

chiddy Jan 18th, 2012 12:28

A definite yes for me. Got my second XC60 on order (March delivery). Swapping my 09-plate (MY10) S Drive for a D5 R-Design. Absolutely love the car and a great local dealer who offered a fantastic deal to change.

Never thought I would be a Volvo owner the first time, let alone the second, but I looked at all the options again (X3 and Q5). I just did not like them as much as the XC and their dealers were not offering a competitive cost to change against Volvo.