Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   XC60 2nd Year Service - Ouch!! (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=236917)

NigelDay Sep 22nd, 2015 14:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fellwalker (Post 1984025)
With my previous car, I paid for 3 years servicing, then extended by a further two, and found that only the service items in the book were covered (a few checks and an oil change), and mandatory replacements weren't. The garage also tried to include a spare bottle of oil, and top up the washer bottles. I declined to pay and these were removed from the bill. I was also pressured to have but rejected a "recommended" clean and recharge of the air conditioning unit at 2 years and every subsequent time. I rang the manufacturer to confirm this was only recommended by the garage not them. The service manager then tried to say it was an over zealous receptionist just wanting to protect me by suggesting ("we don't recommend, sir") the AC work.

I am interested in whether my Volvo 5 year deal will include the timing belt and automatic gearbox oil change which are usually at 4 years.

Main agents have to have ridiculously specified and expensive showrooms and workshops to manufacturers standards, and they have to pay for them somehow.

I think the best indicator of what is included in the 'service' should be in the list found on the service price indicator. If it is on the list, I would expect it to be covered in the 5-year £500 service deal which we both have. I think we should 'swap notes' as we progress through the deal.

St James Sep 22nd, 2015 14:51

Timing belt won't be included cos it's every 108,000 miles or 10 years; auxiliary belt will be though, at 54,000 miles or 3 years.
Gearbox oil change also won't be included cos they will suggest it doesn't need to be done - I will be getting mine done every 40k miles or so - my dealer has quoted me £190 to do it, which I consider to be reasonable.

GMcL Sep 22nd, 2015 14:54

Assuming this service deal covers you for 1 service/year:
5 oil changes about 6 litres each time.
5 oil filters
2 cabin filters at years 2 & 4
Maybe the aux belt and tensioner(s) at 5 years.

Some spark plugs for a petrol at 5 years?

Extras:
Brake fluid change every 2 years only a recommendation
Aircon service?
Screen wash
Brakes, pads and discs at some point in 5 years.
Tyres
Wiper blades

wimorrison Sep 22nd, 2015 14:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fellwalker (Post 1984025)
With my previous car, I paid for 3 years servicing, then extended by a further two, and found that only the service items in the book were covered (a few checks and an oil change), and mandatory replacements weren't. The garage also tried to include a spare bottle of oil, and top up the washer bottles. I declined to pay and these were removed from the bill. I was also pressured to have but rejected a "recommended" clean and recharge of the air conditioning unit at 2 years and every subsequent time. I rang the manufacturer to confirm this was only recommended by the garage not them. The service manager then tried to say it was an over zealous receptionist just wanting to protect me by suggesting ("we don't recommend, sir") the AC work.

I am interested in whether my Volvo 5 year deal will include the timing belt and automatic gearbox oil change which are usually at 4 years.

Main agents have to have ridiculously specified and expensive showrooms and workshops to manufacturers standards, and they have to pay for them somehow.

Volvo gearboxes are sealed for life and the box is only checked for leaks and topped up if leaks are identified.

I think that the timing belts/Aux belts, etc. are changed at 120k mls or 10 years.

RoyMacDonald Sep 22nd, 2015 15:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by wimorrison (Post 1984044)
Volvo gearboxes are sealed for life and the box is only checked for leaks and topped up if leaks are identified.

I think that the timing belts/Aux belts, etc. are changed at 120k mls or 10 years.

Not if any towing or speeds over 60 mph or driving in traffic are done. Then it's every 4 years or 48k.

RoyMacDonald Sep 22nd, 2015 15:21

[QUOTE=Ninja59;1983992]The main problem and annoyance from my point of view when considering Volvo for our practical car is Volvo still stupidly only allow the original owner within 90 days of purchase to benefit from the prepaid version. Future owners buying through selekt cannot do it.

QUOTE]

The service deal for 5 years is transferable though as long as it was taken out by the original purchaser.

RoyMacDonald Sep 22nd, 2015 15:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMcL (Post 1984043)
Assuming this service deal covers you for 1 service/year:
5 oil changes about 6 litres each time.
5 oil filters
2 cabin filters at years 2 & 4
Maybe the aux belt and tensioner(s) at 5 years.

Some spark plugs for a petrol at 5 years?

Extras:
Brake fluid change every 2 years only a recommendation
Aircon service?
Screen wash
Brakes, pads and discs at some point in 5 years.
Tyres
Wiper blades

I queried the brake fluid before I took out the 5 year service plan and was assured it was included. It does appear to say it is in my service plan info.

RoyMacDonald Sep 22nd, 2015 15:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilbydoughboy (Post 1983835)
I have never understood why Volvo dont offer a no frills service. I dont want a breakdown service or a wash and vac. I would rather have have a couple of hundred pounds off the price.

Quote:

Most manufacturers do.

Volvo did, I don't know if they still do it or not for cars out of warranty.

You won't get a stamp in the book though as it's not classed as a full service.
I never let the dealer wash my car because I don't want to risk the paintwork being damaged by dirty cloths. even though it is included in the free service. I always use freshly laundered micro fibre ones.

They always stamp my book. There is no place on the service sheet for washing the car anyway. Seems a bit crazy to pay a place that charges over £100 an hour to wash your car anyway if you are paying for a service.

MikeIOW Sep 22nd, 2015 15:55

On the "thrashing of cars", I have never witnessed that with garages I've used....and of course now I have the dashcam, I had the pleasure of watching the technician showing the junior some of the features on their sedate post-service roadtest - only one slightly hard acceleration (as you might expect, to check things are okay).
It's a thumbs up for TMS in Coventry :)

The services deals are spectacular really, but that is part of the price of a new car, all factored in....

When I had Saab there was a "Saab outlet" garage near me who were Saab-trained but had rates about 1/3rd lower than main dealer. Service book was all stamped up just fine. Maybe see if you can find a Volvo equivalent....

wimorrison Sep 22nd, 2015 16:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald (Post 1984053)
Not if any towing or speeds over 60 mph or driving in traffic are done. Then it's every 4 years or 48k.

Not according to the schedule that I was shown - assuming you are talking about the gearbox oil.

I think it would be impossible not to reach the criteria you specify anyway - everyone drives over 60mph on a motorway and there is always traffic in UK ;)