Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Diesel power...the D24TIC 940 rolling restoration project (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=313755)

AllHailKingVolvo Feb 9th, 2021 15:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by oman5 (Post 2707943)
I always used semi synthetic (millers I think) it was recommended to me years ago when I had the 740 td, something to do with being better at dissipating heat from the turbo. I always changed it every 5000 and never had a problem.

Perfect, I've been using Shell Helix 10w40 semi synth in my redblock cars for years and have always rated the stuff, good performance to cost ratio, so I'll probably go with that as I can get it locally at a good price. Oil filter arrived today as did the glowplugs, so I'll tackle it all in a few days when the weather becomes a little less inclement!

Laird Scooby Feb 9th, 2021 17:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllHailKingVolvo (Post 2708524)
Perfect, I've been using Shell Helix 10w40 semi synth in my redblock cars for years and have always rated the stuff, good performance to cost ratio,

It's good up to about 3-4k miles Phil then the additives that make it good start breaking down. I expect you change it every 3k anyway so won't be a problem for you. :thumbs_up:

AllHailKingVolvo Feb 9th, 2021 22:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laird Scooby (Post 2708555)
It's good up to about 3-4k miles Phil then the additives that make it good start breaking down. I expect you change it every 3k anyway so won't be a problem for you. :thumbs_up:

You know me well! 3k has always been the interval I work to in my redblock cars and will do the same with the diesel. A small price to pay for peace of mind. Is there a similar oil that has a longer operational life, or are all semi-synth oils similar in characteristic?

Laird Scooby Feb 9th, 2021 23:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllHailKingVolvo (Post 2708638)
You know me well! 3k has always been the interval I work to in my redblock cars and will do the same with the diesel. A small price to pay for peace of mind. Is there a similar oil that has a longer operational life, or are all semi-synth oils similar in characteristic?

Shell seems to be unique in the additives beginning to break down at 3-4k miles Phil, i used to use GulfTec 10W40 which i found to be excellent in both of my beasts. Other people who tried it reported good things too.
However, it disappeared from the market a couple of years back and i've tried a couple since, one of which is TradeTec 10W40 which was also good. That used to be all over ebay and parts shops, now in short supply as well. Once again i've been looking and the one i've settled on trying next is :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carlube-T...L/333525482065

Not 100% sure it will be ok for your D24 as from bits and pieces i've gleaned they seem to be a bit "fussy" on oil - maybe not quite the right words but you know what i mean.
Carlube products are made by Tetrosyl - the Hammerite, Waxoyl and loads of other products that have good names including my favourite ATF-U so should be a good oil and hopefully won't disappear off the face of the planet.

I need to do an oil/filter change on both of mine soon but won't be until the warmer, dryer weather so won't be able to report my findings until then. Also need to hunt down a "nipple" as Volvo call it for the oil cooler so i can fit it to replace the one the pervious owner had removed because it leaked ATF. :err: :nah:

AllHailKingVolvo Feb 18th, 2021 18:47

Thanks Dave, I'll check out the Carlube stuff!

I have had an absolute mare of a day today, I went to do an oil and filter change on the car and found half of the the thread in the sump plug hole came out with the plug! Obviously with a car of this age it's impossible to odds the history of it, but I think it's been helicoiled previously and the helicoil has broken down.

The current drain plug is an 18mm, 1.5 pitch unit, so have ordered a 20mm tap and plug to replace it. There seems to be plenty of "meat" left around the hole, so it should tap out to 20mm just fine. I'll jack the front end of the car up and rinse any swarf out of the sump with some diesel methinks. It's a little frustrating to have the car sitting about with no oil in it as I hate leaving jobs half finished, but hopefully it will be a simple fix when the bits arrive.

jor Feb 18th, 2021 18:51

940 td

Should it not work there's a 740 TD engine lying around, which has the d24T engine. They probably share the same oil pan.

jor

Laird Scooby Feb 18th, 2021 19:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllHailKingVolvo (Post 2711096)
Thanks Dave, I'll check out the Carlube stuff!

I have had an absolute mare of a day today, I went to do an oil and filter change on the car and found half of the the thread in the sump plug hole came out with the plug! Obviously with a car of this age it's impossible to odds the history of it, but I think it's been helicoiled previously and the helicoil has broken down.

The current drain plug is an 18mm, 1.5 pitch unit, so have ordered a 20mm tap and plug to replace it. There seems to be plenty of "meat" left around the hole, so it should tap out to 20mm just fine. I'll jack the front end of the car up and rinse any swarf out of the sump with some diesel methinks. It's a little frustrating to have the car sitting about with no oil in it as I hate leaving jobs half finished, but hopefully it will be a simple fix when the bits arrive.

That's a definite nightmare Phil! If memory serves the tapping size for M20 is 18.5mm and that's what the hole with the stripped threads will be, give or take. Put some thick grease on the tap to not only act as a cutting lubricant but catch the swarf as well.

Good luck with it and especially keeping it square, won't be easy doing it laying on your back underneath the car! :err:

Let us now how it goes! :thumbs_up:

AllHailKingVolvo Feb 18th, 2021 19:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laird Scooby (Post 2711123)
That's a definite nightmare Phil! If memory serves the tapping size for M20 is 18.5mm and that's what the hole with the stripped threads will be, give or take. Put some thick grease on the tap to not only act as a cutting lubricant but catch the swarf as well.

Good luck with it and especially keeping it square, won't be easy doing it laying on your back underneath the car! :err:

Let us now how it goes! :thumbs_up:

Yes indeed, it should be a challenge...hopefully not an insurmountable one! I must have the car back in action for Monday as it's going in for a cambelt, so hopefully it will go relatively smoothly. If all else fails I'll pick up one of those temporary sump plugs from Hellfrauds with the sprung T-bar and screw-down cap just to get it to and fro for the cambelt work, but I'd rather do it properly!

AllHailKingVolvo Feb 19th, 2021 17:35

Well, I tapped the sump plug hole (in the horrible weather!) And fitted the 20mm plug, with new copper washer of course.

All seems okay, got all the swarf out (not that there was much left in there...I slathered the tap with thick grease which caught almost all of it), but there is an irritating minor, yet persistent, drip of oil from the plug area. I've tightened it as much as I dare, but I don't want to risk stripping the thread...I've asked the garage who are doing the cambelt on Monday to look it over and see if they can stop the leak, as I've had just about as much time laying under a car in the wind and rain as I can stand for one weekend!

I've put a small bowl under the car to see how much it drips overnight, I doubt very much it's losing enough for it to be a concern, but I'm determined to get it sorted. Once it's sealed I'll leave it be and extract oil by pump via the dipstick tube in the future methinks.

jpliddy Feb 19th, 2021 18:44

hi for the last 15 years or so ive been using a quick drain sump plug on my 940 diesel its been very good as no need for sump washers you remove brass dust cover then screw in the valve i put a short length of clear plastic hose to the tap end and it drains out nice and slowly ,the company is SUMPPLUGS.COM