Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   MY2018 cars (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=262999)

NickHoward Feb 9th, 2017 09:10

As others have said, it depends on the dealer.

I spoke to 3 different deals (who belonged to 3 different groups).

2 of them couldn't order in a new V90 before April, as all of their delivery slots were already in use (worth noting that they had "stock" coming in, which had already been built/being built - But I couldn't specify the exact spec).

Whereas the dealer who belonged to a big group (Marshalls) had some spare "slots" - Where they effectively order the trim level, and if no one comes and buys it beforehand, it'll just be shipped to them as stock, but if someone like me comes along and wants to change the spec (yet still have it delivered soon), they have the availability to do so.

The dealer explained that Volvo ask them to order how many they think they'll sell. This then "reserves" them the slots, which can be changed up to around 8 weeks before delivery is due.

So.... Even though the one dealer is saying September (which is possibly because they haven't ordered many, yet sold more than they thought they would), there will be plenty of dealers who could get you one (either a similar spec which has already been ordered in), or a spec to your liking, well before September!

Torshen Feb 9th, 2017 10:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Laidlaw (Post 2233358)
Kind of bad news- my dealer hasn't been able to get a MY17 car anywhere in the U.K. And they say Volvo have now closed MY17 production...if I want my order to stand it's to be a MY18 car and September delivery!

My dealer informed me last week that my order (placed at start of Jan) was going to be held back until the MY18 batches begin getting allocated. However he still thinks late May / early June for delivery which isn't very different to the mid May that he initially thought.

Obviously it's just his guess at present and maybe your dealer has different factors in play, but still very surprised to hear September.

soupytwister Feb 9th, 2017 10:28

Difficult isn't it. I don't think "held back" is the correct term - as I said in another thread, I doubt the production line shuts down for a month to tool up for a few changes. Dealer presumably just didn't have a slot booked until May. My order went in today, and will be with me earlier than that as the dealer had obviously pre-booked some slots.

However, if it goes into April, I'd rather mine was "held back" to at least counter the increased VED by having next years model :) I know that won't happen as it will already be in build/built!

VED thing is just plain annoying....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torshen (Post 2233455)
My dealer informed me last week that my order (placed at start of Jan) was going to be held back until the MY18 batches begin getting allocated. However he still thinks late May / early June for delivery which isn't very different to the mid May that he initially thought.

Obviously it's just his guess at present and maybe your dealer has different factors in play, but still very surprised to hear September.

Torshen Feb 9th, 2017 10:35

True, held back probably is a bit misleading in this context. But it does feel like there's perhaps a bit of a longer delay before my order getting accepted at the factory.

EG if I'd been in the very last week of MY17 production I might have expected to hear that the order has been accepted / assigned a production week already. But if I'm a week later, in the very first week of MY18 production, I won't be hearing until March. So while the actual build/delivery dates might only slip by one week, the notification of order acceptance does slip more, it seems.

Of course I'm guessing that the people in weeks 2, 3, 4 (etc) of MY18 prouction probably hear around the same time as the people in week 1, so the system quickly comes back into sync. It's just those early weeks that seem to have a bit of a wait for order acceptance.

soupytwister Feb 9th, 2017 10:43

I guess we're all guessing :)

Anyone know the Production Manager? :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torshen (Post 2233471)
True, held back probably is a bit misleading in this context. But it does feel like there's perhaps a bit of a longer delay before my order getting accepted at the factory.

EG if I'd been in the very last week of MY17 production I might have expected to hear that the order has been accepted / assigned a production week already. But if I'm a week later, in the very first week of MY18 production, I won't be hearing until March. So while the actual build/delivery dates might only slip by one week, the notification of order acceptance does slip more, it seems.

Of course I'm guessing that the people in weeks 2, 3, 4 (etc) of MY18 prouction probably hear around the same time as the people in week 1, so the system quickly comes back into sync. It's just those early weeks that seem to have a bit of a wait for order acceptance.

familymangreg Feb 9th, 2017 11:29

I'd be a little bit wary if I were ordering a MY18 vehicle without seeing the spec sheet. There were some subtle changes in spec between MY16 and MY17. If my memory serves me correctly, these included removal of active bending lights on Momentum, InteliSafe becoming standard across the range, etc.. I can't remember full details, but I know my wife and I compared my16 and 17 in details and found several small but significant changes.

:wq

Lexman8 Feb 9th, 2017 12:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by familymangreg (Post 2233498)
If my memory serves me correctly, these included removal of active bending lights on Momentum, InteliSafe becoming standard across the range, etc..

Also: D5 engine gained PowerPulse and Drive Mode Select and a spare wheel became standard. Factory fitted Linear Walnut option was removed (but is available for dealer-fit).

There was price increase in the move from MY16 to MY17 but as I would've ordered the additional standard kit anyway, I actually paid less for my MY17 than I would've for a '16.

gaby Feb 9th, 2017 13:11

My dealer told me that if a car that was ordered turns out to be made in the next MY having different specs,
Volvo still tries to match the spec sheet of the order. However, I don't have any proof that this is indeed so,
but it will almost certainly not always be possible.

neon Feb 9th, 2017 18:03

I have not seen a new XC90 in my dealers now for the last couple of months.

Chris N Feb 9th, 2017 19:26

One change I was made aware of today is the leather dash option is no longer available on the R Design.