Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   V70 D5 Auto No Drive - Diagnosing 2007 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=322330)

stuart bowes Dec 29th, 2021 18:05

what about the connection from the gear selector to the gearbox, is it called a PNP switch or something like that.. a cable I assume

on the dash, when you select a gear, does it say P/R/N/D/1/2/3 etc next to the clock

(although, having asked that, I don't know if that display 'knows' the gear from the gearbox or just from the selector position so it won't mean much to me but it might point someone else in the right direction to helping out)

are there any noises when you rev when in gear? I take it you probably would have said so already but just checking, presumably it just feels/sounds like being in neutral

in terms of code reading what you want is VIDA. for sale from cheshired5 (although last I heard was out of stock) or short time ask if there's anyone near you can pull the codes for some beer money or something

stuart bowes Dec 29th, 2021 18:13

presumably you can at least go from Park to Neutral though or you couln't move it. so maybe that rules out the cable

re: VIDA
software details here (torrent links bottom of page)

and that is the details for if you buy yourself a VCX nano (make sure it's definitely the volvo one)

if nothing else download the software, ignore the drivers (start halfway down the page) and keep that on a desktop PC indoors for part number reference and all the diagrams

bluebossa Dec 29th, 2021 18:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by stuart bowes (Post 2796280)
what about the connection from the gear selector to the gearbox, is it called a PNP switch or something like that.. a cable I assume

on the dash, when you select a gear, does it say P/R/N/D/1/2/3 etc next to the clock

(although, having asked that, I don't know if that display 'knows' the gear from the gearbox or just from the selector position so it won't mean much to me but it might point someone else in the right direction to helping out)

are there any noises when you rev when in gear? I take it you probably would have said so already but just checking, presumably it just feels/sounds like being in neutral

in terms of code reading what you want is VIDA. for sale from cheshired5 (although last I heard was out of stock) or short time ask if there's anyone near you can pull the codes for some beer money or something

Hey Stuart, No noises in gear and yes it says P/R/N/D/1/2/3 as I move the Selector...

I've seen VIDA but think they are fairly expensive... It's stuck on the drive for now, might ring a couple of independent garages tomorrow now it's here or get a Mobile Mechanic around who might have decent diagnostics...

stuart bowes Dec 29th, 2021 18:36

the software is free? the connection device ranges from £50-100 ish depending where you get it from, I've seen it recently around €60 whatever that translates to in real money.. plus shipping

it's not a bank breaker really

bluebossa Dec 29th, 2021 19:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by stuart bowes (Post 2796290)
the software is free? the connection device ranges from £50-100 ish depending where you get it from, I've seen it recently around €60 whatever that translates to in real money.. plus shipping

it's not a bank breaker really

Oky doke, I'll have a search, might well be worth it at that - saw a couple on eBay for £200 ish without Software and read on this forum that it's a bit of a pain to get going on Windows 10...

stuart bowes Dec 29th, 2021 22:21

this isn't a recommendation because I have never used this site before, but an example at least

link

if anything like the one I borrowed chuck the CD in the bin it is hopeless, use the software and drivers linked in previous posts. windows 10 easy as pie that way

I'm still very puzzled about that MOT fail and suspicious lack of retest but perhaps it was just a coincidence after all then, red herring

MisterGee19 Dec 30th, 2021 07:12

How does the coolant level and gearbox oil colour and level look?

The radiator can corrode between the gearbox and coolant sections letting coolant into the gearbox and eventually destroying it.

Most mechanical failure scenarios with these gearboxes are a gradual decline.. they generally don’t “just stop” unless it’s electrical.

If you get Vida you can test comms to the gearbox and also readings to the various valves and pressures.

EDIT - just realized this is a 07 so likely the 6-speed TF-80 box

bluebossa Dec 30th, 2021 08:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by stuart bowes (Post 2796332)
this isn't a recommendation because I have never used this site before, but an example at least

link

if anything like the one I borrowed chuck the CD in the bin it is hopeless, use the software and drivers linked in previous posts. windows 10 easy as pie that way

I'm still very puzzled about that MOT fail and suspicious lack of retest but perhaps it was just a coincidence after all then, red herring

Thanks Stuart, that looks good as an OBD Connector/Cable others in the UK... worth a go that for sure... meanwhile my local friend has another flavour of Code reader and is coming over, hopefully that will connect.

I think the MOT failure is a red herring and still wants sorting, it's a Gaiter warning... though not managed to get it up in the air yet...

Going down the path that it needs the ECM reset after a Fluid change, which I doubt was done, meaning the ECU throws an Engine Service Code and everything stops... reading more about the Auto as I go which is interesting...

Seems like the ECM controls and monitors the internal pressure to compensate for Auto wear from what I can see...

Thanks for sticking with me... hope you are enjoying the puzzle too and thanks for the link... going to track a cable and get the software installed...

bluebossa Dec 30th, 2021 08:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterGee19 (Post 2796358)
How does the coolant level and gearbox oil colour and level look?

The radiator can corrode between the gearbox and coolant sections letting coolant into the gearbox and eventually destroying it.

Most mechanical failure scenarios with these gearboxes are a gradual decline.. they generally don’t “just stop” unless it’s electrical.

If you get Vida you can test comms to the gearbox and also readings to the various valves and pressures.

EDIT - just realized this is a 07 so likely the 6-speed TF-80 box

Hey MisterGee19 thanks for joining the thread!

It got dark yesterday so I'll take a look now, ran out of time yesterday... short days... I'm with you that they don't just stop unless its computers telling it too... saves mechanical failure and boxes destroying themselves I guess.

It is indeed an 07 and therefore the 6 speed TF80.
Planning to get VIDA/DICE going to get into the Codes and Resets...

bluebossa Dec 30th, 2021 14:43

2 Attachment(s)
So - this mornings update after a bit of a fiddle again...

My buddy bought his version of a Cheap Chinese OBD Coder round and it did connect - pulled a P0730 which is Transmission related, said it was a pending Fault... cleared it, no difference.

Pics attached of Dash Error and Code.

I also took the Airbox off, cleaned and checked all Electrical fuses, and re-seated all Relays. Still the same, just sits there and smiles back at me saying

"listen to that Engine and be happy with that - I'm not moving anywhere"

Next stop VIDA/DICE - just tracking the right Dongle/Cable out - thanks Stuart, trying to find one in the UK from a local supplier - let me know if you've seen one...

The plot continues...