Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   S40 (New) Engine 2.0D : EGR Valve (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=40613)

7050man Oct 22nd, 2007 22:10

Further to my post on 27th Sept., I can feed back that car has been absolutely fine since the pressure differential sensor was replaced.

I'd also add that it has been a lot smoother and responsive than before. I suspect that cleaning the pipes going to and from this sensor may have had a lot to do with it (pipes were cleaned by mechanic at time of sensor replacement as recommended by Volvo).

If anyone has any running problems with their car and have read a bit about egr failure, consider that this sensor may be a problem. From what I've read here symtoms may be very similar.

Northview Nov 2nd, 2007 13:15

Good to hear you've got it working right. It's still a bit worrying, though, that it falls to owners discussing the problem on a forum to find a solution - surely that's what Volvo-trained servicing engineers are for?

shimon340 Nov 3rd, 2007 18:58

hi there

so in fact the problem was a blocked diesel particulate filter which wasnt detected by the ECU due to a faulty pressure sensor

reading this post again the symtoms do add up, it was like having a blocked exhaust in that the car lacks power and wont rev. I recently replaced a friends 340s exhaust due to a collapsed back box and at work we have a have a number of cars failing to rev past 2000-3000 rpm and lacking power due to block dfps

glad your car is sorted

paul g Nov 4th, 2007 08:43

EGR but also particulate filter

Morning,

I reviewed this thread when my car was not responding very well. i.e 3000r.p.m and twenty miles an hour in second gear. Just about got it up to 60 on the A12!

Anyway called Chelmsford Lookers and they booked it in straightaway but informed me that earlier this year - when the 'have engine checked' light came on - they had replaced the EGR and upgraded the software! In between times the car responded fine again. Picked the car up yesterday and the guy told me they had identified a particulate filter error which again has been changed/upgraded.

Hope this stays okay.

7050man Nov 5th, 2007 10:44

[QUOTE=shimon340;313397]hi there

so in fact the problem was a blocked diesel particulate filter which wasnt detected by the ECU due to a faulty pressure sensor

No I'm not sure that the particulate filter itself was actually blocked, but possibly just the take off pipes that feed the sensor. My car actually was generating an error that flagged the sensor as the problem (it was found to be full of water when checked, from possible lack of drainage/condensation)
I suspect that if the cpu detects an error/invalid signal by this sensor, then the car will go into some type of limp home mode.

Perhaps a Volvo trained chap can give us a better explaination of the system logic.

Chris_S40 Oct 12th, 2008 09:45

Could EGR valve cause hesitation at 1800 to 2200 rpm

I have recently purchased a 2005 2.0 D and have only experienced the total lack of power once on m62 at 60mph ! but i have an annoying hesitation at 1800 to 2200 rpm on light throttle. I also get diesel knock when engine cold, this may be normal, it is my first s40, so i don't know.

7050man Oct 12th, 2008 12:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_S40 (Post 413499)
I have recently purchased a 2005 2.0 D and have only experienced the total lack of power once on m62 at 60mph ! but i have an annoying hesitation at 1800 to 2200 rpm on light throttle. I also get diesel knock when engine cold, this may be normal, it is my first s40, so i don't know.

Interesting that you describe this symptom.

My 55 plate 2.0D exhibited the same symptom recently, although noticeable only when engine cold.

If driving slowly along as in traffic with a constant throttle position in say 3rd or 4th gear, the car would change from pulling well to pulling as if the turbo wasn't assisting. Revs were commensurate with turbo kicking in.

I wouldn't worry about the car being noisier when cold. They all are to some degree.
The car was serviced last week, and has been fine since.

skudmissile Oct 26th, 2008 21:40

Interesting thread.

I have a 2005 55 reg 2.0d with 56kmiles.

Ive had the car for 4 months now. And the car has developed a very strange hesisitation.

It first does it from cold in second under light throttling. like a Kangaroo!

The every now and then whilst driving I feel an every so slight loss in power.

In my eyes it doesnt feel right..... Is this what other people have been experiancing?

cheers

John

Biker1968 Dec 22nd, 2008 10:06

You guys don't wanna know the amount of drama I've had with my volvo. It's also a 2.0d from 2005... as I'm in Europe it's called the summum model... top of the range etc.

Anyway, after many many problems, I apparently got a new engine put in the bloody thing with only 72,000km on the clock! They tell me it got a new engine but it certainly didn't feel like it.

Now I'm at 97,000km and it started spewing thick black smoke like a james bond defence mechanism and lacking power and not starting.

New EGR valve needed, so the dealer said. I said, that's the 3rd one isn't it... he said, yeah, you've had a few problems with this one haven't you...?

That's putting it mildly!

This is about the 15th major problem that I've had with this car, and I can tell you I wouldn't have another volvo if they paid me to drive in the damn thing!

Worse car I've ever had!

Smigger Nov 12th, 2009 21:27

Bought my first Volvo yesterday.

Got to say loving the interior and finish etc, one of the nicest I've ever seen!!

1st day driving to work experienced what sounds to be described very well in this thread.

Unexpectedly when I was trying to pull out on a round-a-bout this morning, car was gutless. Like trying to set off in 2nd without any rev's being given to the engine, despite the accelerator pedal being firmly pressed!!! Happened on my way home to. Symptoms do seem to be when the car has been idling and when at low revs and accelerating away.

Bought the car for the safety and reliability and as our first family car, honestly feeling as though my better half and baby may not be as safe as initially thought.

Booked in to the dealer for Monday, just glad I stumbled across this thread before I dropped it off. Still under warranty so hopefully this will be all sorted.

Paul