Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Drivers Information Module (DIM) diy repair (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=73695)

GorgeousGeorge Sep 21st, 2009 10:37

Hiya Mo,

The used DIM didnt work either, just didnt want to play at all ???

As for the imjectors, its unlikely that they will all need replacing, and surely better the devil you know...

So your not thinking of getting another FORD then .. lol...

Cheers

Scott

shaks Sep 24th, 2009 01:37

Thanks Keithc70 for the instructions. I did mine two weeks ago to fix my annoying problem with the clock running backwards/forwards, trip counters resetting themselves, parking brake light/seatbelt light working intermittently and recently LCD being intermittently corrupt.

I didn't do it myself but got a friend who repairs mobile phones to do it with a hot air soldering gun. Just melted the solder around the mentioned chipand resoldered a few other joints as well.

It's been absolutely spot on for the last two weeks. Hopefully it will continue to work. I've had the problem since I got the car two years ago (privately bought). The person I bought it from told me the clock just needed setting which was why it was running backwards - liar! I hadn't been looking forward to a full rebuild from clusterrepairs.co.uk but thought that was the only option left until I came across yours and budulan's instructions.

GorgeousGeorge Sep 25th, 2009 13:14

1 Attachment(s)
and a couple of pounds later its all sorted...

isdal Apr 19th, 2010 19:21

Fixed it! Thanks for all the help keithC70!

I had a problem with my DIM as well, it would "crash" after a couple minutes of driving with random warning lights lighting up (including the SRS light) then after displaying scary messages for maybe 10 seconds it would completely turn it self off. Once the DIM was crashed it would not start again for a couple days (nothing on the dim worked, not even the speedometer), then the DIM would start, crash, and the cycle would repeat. The car worked just like normal no matter the state of the DIM.

I have a 2002 S60 AWD, so not the same model as keithC70's S80 but turns out they have the same crappy DIM...

So I just followed the instructions. I removed the DIM, then I went to the hardware lab at my university to use their hot air station. I set it to 400°C, and heated up the edges of the motorola chip. To protect the other components on the DIM I cut up a coke can to make a heat shield around the chip when I was working with the hot air.
After that I took the heat sink from the northbridge of an old computer and attached it to the motorola chip with some standard thermal paste. Then, I plugged the DIM back in, started the car and the DIM works again, no crashes for several weeks! Only thing left is to reset the SRS warning. Anyway, it is nice to save the $1000 the DIM repair would cost.

malibusam Jun 23rd, 2010 01:05

I reheated the connections on the Motorola chip and it works again! However, now my clock and temperature are not working. The information window is now a little dim on the right side for some reason as well. Any ideas about those problems?

billynomates Jun 23rd, 2010 10:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by malibusam (Post 692618)
I reheated the connections on the Motorola chip and it works again! However, now my clock and temperature are not working. The information window is now a little dim on the right side for some reason as well. Any ideas about those problems?

Exactally the same happened to me, it was the little capless bulb that illuminates it from behind, a very easy fix.

malibusam Jun 23rd, 2010 12:42

which bulb? what is a capless bulb?

billynomates Jun 23rd, 2010 12:56

Take the dash out and look behind where the display is and you will see the holder for the bulb. It simply twists out. You can get replacements from Halfrauds for around £2

malibusam Jun 23rd, 2010 13:03

I'm in the U.S. so maybe Autozone :) I was going to drive there first so any idea which bulb it is? For instance it says blue or black... also the clock is on the opposite side of the information window, how will that fix my problem?

billynomates Jun 23rd, 2010 17:28

The clock and temp displays are in the same window ?