Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   S60 Steering: MOT Failure - Wheels rubbing - useful info! (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=35058)

Clan Mar 10th, 2009 17:34

yes , but the kit is a last resort if you cant cure it any other way ... assuming authorised tyre sizes ( listed on petrol filler flap )

drcnnn Mar 12th, 2009 23:21

First off, excuse my ignorance, but what is MOT? I have the optional Volvo 17" wheels and they rub horribly at full lock. I appreciate the advice here.

Dunc Mar 12th, 2009 23:47

[QUOTE=drcnnn;476419]First off, excuse my ignorance, but what is MOT?

MOT is our department of transport roadworthy test which has to be done every 12 month, once a car has reached 3 years old.

bigt1986 Aug 14th, 2010 16:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobS (Post 261367)
Hi Paul,

Had the same problem and with the MOT due I did a quick 'fix'. On the lower wishbones there is the rubber limit stop bolted on. I fitted 2 washers to each bolt to pad the stop out a bit. Worked a treat! Now I am one of those Volvo drivers that takes 23 attempts to do a 3 point turn........

Bob

Hey much like what bob said above is what ive herd, i went to see a garage to get some work done and i was havin a crack on with the lad who owns it, we talked about mods for it, he said he would lower it a bit and maybe remap the engine he said not much more i can do without spoiling it. i told him i cant lower it as it rubs on full lock, he called one of his mates over and asked him about the fault he had with his, the lad said he had the same issue and said it was common with alot of volvo's he said he put the washers underneath and has never had bother since.

weeksy Mar 7th, 2011 11:39

Guys,

As my car is in for a wheel bearing tomorrow and a left front 'clunk' i thought i'd get the garage to do the spacer mod for me.

However, i'm a bit clueless on what/where etc. So if i can give the garage a bit of guidance/tech info that would hep me lots.

FWIW i've got an S60 D5 running 16" Mimas.

ade555 Apr 14th, 2011 22:15

well not just the 18s rubbing I have 17s 225 and at full lock they rubbing and once you look at the arch it self you can see nice shiny parts and tyres in few 0000s to be replace, is there a statment anywhere on net where it state that this is sort of normal for Volvo cars and is not MOT fail, I just love to argue with mechanics is well as security guys most of them are not very bright.

Clan Apr 14th, 2011 22:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by ade555 (Post 885708)
well not just the 18s rubbing I have 17s 225 and at full lock they rubbing and once you look at the arch it self you can see nice shiny parts and tyres in few 0000s to be replace, is there a statment anywhere on net where it state that this is sort of normal for Volvo cars and is not MOT fail, I just love to argue with mechanics is well as security guys most of them are not very bright.

It is permissable for the tyres to rub "on a plate put there specificaly for the purpose" thats the gist of what is written in the MOT Testers manual perhaps he should read it ..

The Morgan sports car has alloy blocks on the side of the chassis for this very purpose too .

Now if your tyres have rubbed through the plate and the plastic liner too then this is excessive and should fail , But just shiny marks on the metal plate put there for the purpose which is what you have where the tyres occasionaly rub when parking ,that is not a fail ...

ask for the appeal form!

ade555 Apr 15th, 2011 06:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 885751)
It is permissable for the tyres to rub "on a plate put there specificaly for the purpose" thats the gist of what is written in the MOT Testers manual perhaps he should read it ..

The Morgan sports car has alloy blocks on the side of the chassis for this very purpose too .

Now if your tyres have rubbed through the plate and the plastic liner too then this is excessive and should fail , But just shiny marks on the metal plate put there for the purpose which is what you have where the tyres occasionaly rub when parking ,that is not a fail ...

ask for the appeal form!

I didn't take the car for MOT yet, but is due very shortly so will have to wait and see what will happend but at least now I know he can't fail the MOT on this problem

mm60103 May 2nd, 2011 10:33

Rubbing wheels

Had a similar problem with my S80 on front lock with the tyres catching the inner wings. At first I put it down to the tyre profile. Discussing this at a tyre and exhaust garage the mechanic pointed out the wear on some hard plastic steering lock stops. When I contacted Volvo to get some replacements the first question was size wheels/tyres is the car running on. Changed mine as a pair and rubbing has stopped.

GMad May 2nd, 2011 12:15

When I had my S60 MOT'd a couple of months ago, the fact that there was slight rubbage from my standard 17 inch wheels/tyres, was mentioned by the tester. He did however say something along the lines of "known Volvo issue" and didn't even advise on it.
I guess he was an experienced/clued up tester?