Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   V70: Engine V70 P3 Engine Choice (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=306885)

Tannaton Jun 17th, 2020 12:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baal (Post 2639598)
You really think they will say something like that out on the open? Out of the goodness of their hearts? Please man don't be naive. :D

They even didn't say their VED5 Gen1/2/3 engines were based on Volkswagen Transporter T4 engines but the engine blocks are identical.

....apart from one is made of aluminium and the other is cast iron. From memory the VW has the starter motor and oil filter at the back and on the Volvo they are at the front (based on a transverse installation)

The D5 was developed jointly by Ricardo Engineering and Volvo whilst Volvo were using VAG 2.5 TDi engines in the late 1990's. VW were not involved.

I think I'm correct in saying it was the first aluminium block 5-cylinder diesel engine to be used in a car.

Tannaton Jun 17th, 2020 12:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by sierraman (Post 2639649)
Hello

Thanks to everyone who has responded but I still need more engine info please.

So have i got this correct with the Diesel versions

1.6 and 2.0 are all ford or Peugeot? 2.4 are all Volvo?

2.5T Petrol is a Ford 4 cylinder from an ST and no other petrol versions?

So do Volvo actually make any of the engines in the P3 series, If yes, what are they and how do I tell the differences when I am looking at used car ads?

Is it BHP or the design of plastic engine cover or the power steering bottle location (or similar easily visible part) such as the exhaust on the offside or nearside or what?

Also does anyone know of a link that shows pictures of the different engines or specifications?

Thanks

As Sotosound said, but my version....

It's simple (I think) all the 5 cylinder engines are Volvo.

The later (post 2015 MY) 4 cylinder two litre diesel engines (badged D3, D4) are Volvo.

The cars badged "2.0D" are PSA engine to which Ford has grafted a re-designed cylinder head with extra valves. Not bad but not as good as Volvo's engine and only 136 BHP (not to be confused with 2.4D cars which are a Volvo engine).

The 1.6D/Driv-e 4 cylinder diesel cars have an engine from a Mini. Or a lawn mower I can't remember which.

With petrol - 5 or 6 cylinder engines are Volvo (3.2/T6) but they're rare.

Given the age of the cars now, there's a strong argument to only look at those with Volvo engines.

Baal Jun 17th, 2020 16:49

Sure, you're right and the mechanic who fixed tons of cars has no idea what he's talking about...

I've literally fixed tons of D5 engines with bad connecting rod bearings and
valve lifters. Back then there were no spare parts to speak of everything was unavailable so I had to improvise, I ordered these spare parts from a VW dealer and started experimenting. Not a single person came back saying hey man my car died again.

Tannaton Jun 17th, 2020 17:21

It's not personal - this forum is about cars not people.

sierraman Jun 18th, 2020 01:43

Excellent

Hello

Excellent, Thanks for your help, The search begins!

Cheers

ThomasG Jun 18th, 2020 14:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by sierraman (Post 2639952)
Hello

Excellent, Thanks for your help, The search begins!

Cheers

to add my 3-pennies worth..

petrols:
3.0 t6 with some issues with auto gearboxes
3.2 normal aspirated- the "bulletproof" 2.4 as seen in p2 v70 with added 6th cylinder.

i know there is some 2.5 t6 as well, but i lack info on that one. past 2012 i think, whilst the two above are ealy ones

Sotosound Jun 18th, 2020 20:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomasG (Post 2640110)
3.2 normal aspirated- the "bulletproof" 2.4 as seen in p2 v70 with added 6th cylinder.

Must also have been bored or stroked to get from 2.4 to 3.2. :)

(The old 2.9 was possibly the 2.4 plus an extra cylinder.)

ThomasG Jun 20th, 2020 08:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sotosound (Post 2640257)
Must also have been bored or stroked to get from 2.4 to 3.2. :)

(The old 2.9 was possibly the 2.4 plus an extra cylinder.)

it is...