Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Powershift v Geartronic (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=120754)

froggyted Apr 3rd, 2011 00:13

Congratulations on your new car, zimbo, and i suspect that you'll be very happy with your purchase!

Rub marks on the dash underneath the ignition switch are commonly caused by other keys on the ignition key fob, and this is possibly what's caused the mark on your console. I'd recommend not having any other keys on the fob, and if the dealer supplies your keys with metal fobs, as did mine, i'd take them off. If you have a metal console you are wise to think you need to be careful about dropping things on it. The Nordic Light Oak console, which is what i have, is i suspect less susceptible to marking, but be very careful what you put on the sloping dash above it, especially when you drive off. I put a plastic ice scraper on mine only weeks after buying the car. I had one eye on something else, so didn't place it properly; it slid right down across the face of the control panel, sharp end down, and onto the console. Fortunately, i escaped with a barely discernible, tiny dint, just in front of the gear changer, but having got off lightly that time i don't intend tempting fate again!

I'm sure you'll love your new car, and find that it has a real air of quality and is a joy to drive. :)

S7iFFLER Apr 3rd, 2011 00:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by froggyted (Post 876802)
Thanks, faffi. I can't say i've noticed any of these symptoms. It's interesting to note that the ECM will turn the rear demister on if it deems necessary -

Its in your cars manual ;)

zimbo565 Apr 3rd, 2011 08:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by faffi (Post 877191)
Congrats on the new car, zimb :)

Thanks, faffi.

zimbo565 Apr 3rd, 2011 08:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by froggyted (Post 877270)
Congratulations on your new car, zimbo, and i suspect that you'll be very happy with your purchase!

Thanks froggyted.

She certainly felt very nice on the test drive.

She's got the Nordic Light Oak trim as well but we've made a note to try and not drop anything on the console!

froggyted Apr 3rd, 2011 12:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by S7iFFLER (Post 877294)
Its in your cars manual ;)

Yep, you're right! I've been reading through the manual from front to back and haven't got around to that yet (despite having had the car for 5 months! Too much else to do!). I haven't got to the audio section yet either, so who knows what unexpected delights the car still has to offer. :)

froggyted Apr 3rd, 2011 12:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by zimbo565 (Post 877330)
She certainly felt very nice on the test drive.

Ah, i can see you're falling in love already! :wink_smile:

I thought you might have the Nordic Light Oak trim, i think it was standard on SE Lux for that year. I suspect it might be a bit less susceptible to disfigurement than the metal ones, but it's probably best to be cautious rather than finding out the hard way. The panel can be replaced if the worst comes to the worst.

Essentially, you have an identical car to me, so it will be interesting to know how you get on with it over the coming months. When i get around to it in the next few weeks i'll do a more detailed review of mine on the aformentioned thread ('The New Versus The Old').

tayandre Apr 3rd, 2011 21:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by zimbo565 (Post 877156)
Well, for better or worse, we bought the 2.0D Powershift, a 58 plate SE Lux in Orinoco Blue with off black leather trim.

Did you get it from Parks in Ayr? I'd recommend them for main dealer servicing over Bickett's (now Verve) in Killie. Bickett's did my 2nd service and I will not be using them again. They charged me £50 more than the estimate for the service, claiming it's because my car was not on their system. Neither did they bother to take a couple of minutes to jet wash it.

zimbo565 Apr 4th, 2011 13:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by froggyted (Post 877415)
When i get around to it in the next few weeks i'll do a more detailed review of mine on the aformentioned thread ('The New Versus The Old').

I'm looking forward to your comments and comparing.

zimbo565 Apr 4th, 2011 13:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by tayandre (Post 877836)
Did you get it from Parks in Ayr? I'd recommend them for main dealer servicing over Bickett's (now Verve) in Killie. Bickett's did my 2nd service and I will not be using them again. They charged me £50 more than the estimate for the service, claiming it's because my car was not on their system. Neither did they bother to take a couple of minutes to jet wash it.

No, Strathmore in Perth, who were very impressive. Bit of a drive though!

jco Apr 7th, 2011 15:16

Going back to the issue of does the footbrake disconnect the clutchs I would say there is no evidence of it and the car creeps in the usual way.
I have decided to use neutral and hand/footbrake if I stop for any length of time - and it is clear you should not hold it on the clutch on a hill as you could with a torque converter.
My only gripe would be that I think a sports setting would be nice to keep the revs slightly higher on occasions - I would use one gear lower round town sometimes than the car chooses - but its not a big problem.