Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Giving my '05 a 2010 facelift! (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=98596)

BenB Jul 2nd, 2010 19:53

Don't worry I'll definitly tell the insurance company before I drive it. Some I've had in the past don't increase it for non performance-enhancing mods, I'll have to see how friendly mine is!

I've had to stick it in the garage at my parents and come home in my pickup for the weekend to do some decking! So after all that I can't even see it until Monday!!!

I forgot to add, I actually split the glass off the headlights using a hot-air gun, the grubbyness on the white part was bugging me! How the inside can get so filthy is beyond me!!
The headlight you sent me Jason was actually far far better than the one I paid £40 for!!!! That one I didn't notice actually had loads of chrome flaking off the inside, plus a small crack, which unfortunately grew a bit when I was splitting the glass off.

Easy to do though, just heated the gluey strip up with a hot-air gun (with a nozzle on to focus the heat where I wanted it) for about a minute each side then flipped and did another minute each, then gently tugged. Be very very very careful though because split glass now means one of my headlights gets steamy :-( I'll have to dab some clear silicon over the crack until I can find a bargain replacement.

Who's Simon from FRF??? Someone who can source second-hand parts??

Jonnieb2009 Jul 2nd, 2010 20:08

Simon at FRF Volvo is generally a bit cheaper than the main dealers. I sourced all my parts from Volvo notts before they closed down so got a few good deals.

There is a decent breakers yard in Preston that deliver called Volvobreakers.co.uk

Keep up the good work, now there are two cloned R Design Volvos in the UK!

BenB Jul 2nd, 2010 20:19

I still need to do the rear bumper though, and I'm actually toying with trimming the bumper down to fit my '04 rear lights, instead of buying new lights. Is that a bit nuts??!

And I'm going to colourcode the standard side trims too, the difference between the shape of the standard ones against the R-design with the little groove to me isn't worth the cost.

How do I get hold of Simon? Is here on here?

jasonb Jul 2nd, 2010 22:32

Have you considered just keeping the existing bumper and filling/removing the rub strips ? just and idea.

jasonb Jul 2nd, 2010 22:33

You should be able to reach Simon (FRF) on http://www.frfvolvo.co.uk/mo-volvo-parts.asp

Rgds
Jason.

Jonnieb2009 Jul 3rd, 2010 12:51

3 Attachment(s)
I guess it comes down to the cost of it all. I toyed with the idea of doing just the same but in the end I decided to get a 2nd hand rear bumper off ebay (came with parking sensor holes too - bought a cheap £30 kit off ebay to slot into the holes) and go the whole hog with lower r design skirt, reflectors - no regrets.

BenB Jul 3rd, 2010 13:30

I've already got a rear bumper, and it's already got the r-desin splitter on too! £40 delivered I think and it's the right colour too! Needs some scratches filled though, and the splitter has had a section cut out for a tow-bar so I'm going to fibreglass it up and while I'm at it fill over the exhaust holes.

What I'm pondering is whether to buy new rear lights or cut he bumper to fit my old ones

Jonnieb2009 Jul 3rd, 2010 20:39

Its a no brainer then you have to put the r design bumper on or it will look a bit strange dont you think?

BenB Jul 5th, 2010 08:52

The question isn't whether or not to fit the bumper, that is a no brainer... the question is whether to wait to find new rear lights, or whether to cut the bumper to fit round my '04 rear lights

Jonnieb2009 Jul 5th, 2010 13:05

the choice is yours but personally I think it would look better with new lights otherwise it will look half old shape half new which may be strange.. thats only my opinion..

fantastic work to date.. keep the pics coming

:thumbs_up: