Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Leather quality (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=258737)

Quacker Apr 30th, 2017 14:05

Is this a common issue? Mine is too new yet, at nearly 3000 miles only. My black Nappa leather is as new. Standard Inscription black seats.

goncalo Apr 30th, 2017 18:24

I'm new on the forum... i'm thinking to buy the XC90 to replace my Range Rover Vogue.

I was reading this thread and now i'm sacred about choosing the leather color!

I was thinking to buy the blonde... this issues are more easy to show up in this light leather? Should i buy with black or Amber?

S90 Apr 30th, 2017 18:57

I have an S90 with Amber, yes, jeans do leave blue marks, but they clean off easily enough.

So far 2000 miles in, all good

neon Apr 30th, 2017 19:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by goncalo (Post 2268946)
I'm new on the forum... i'm thinking to buy the XC90 to replace my Range Rover Vogue.

I was thinking to buy the blonde... this issues are more easy to show up in this light leather? Should i buy with black or Amber?

I am ok with the colour as I appreciate it requires a bit more care when choosing a light colour. My last Mercedes was porcelain leather colour and lighter than the XC90, after 4 years and 56000 miles it was still pristine and no sign of the leather wearing at all. I just have never seen leather so delicate as on my XC90 and I am at a loss as what to do to keep it in good condition.
The nature of the design of the Inscription sports contour seats focus the wear in certain areas which shows up the shortfalls pretty quickly.

S90 Apr 30th, 2017 20:20

I have already start using leather care on the car, I don't want to wait until it looks like it needs it, keeping it supple will help, if the top layer wears away like on some posts, then Volvo can replace under warranty.

Quacker Apr 30th, 2017 20:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by neon (Post 2268985)
I am ok with the colour as I appreciate it requires a bit more care when choosing a light colour. My last Mercedes was porcelain leather colour and lighter than the XC90, after 4 years and 56000 miles it was still pristine and no sign of the leather wearing at all. I just have never seen leather so delicate as on my XC90 and I am at a loss as what to do to keep it in good condition.
The nature of the design of the Inscription sports contour seats focus the wear in certain areas which shows up the shortfalls pretty quickly.

Did your Mercedes have the Artico leather upholstery?

nu11eaf Apr 30th, 2017 20:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by goncalo (Post 2268946)

Blue jeans are a nightmare with blond leather seats, I have stopped wearing them but the passenger seat turns blue every week because my wife still wears them, I have resorted to putting a cover on the seat base. I wish I had gone for amber now, although the blond looks really nice. (when clean).

S90 Apr 30th, 2017 20:29

The Amber is just as bad

nu11eaf Apr 30th, 2017 20:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by S90 (Post 2269002)
The Amber is just as bad

The price we pay for looks over practicality. But after my last 3 black leather interior cars I wanted a change and a light interior.

Quacker Apr 30th, 2017 20:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by S90 (Post 2269002)
The Amber is just as bad

That's odd, because I have grey leather in the Toyota and dark cream in the CRV that don't get particularly dirty from one month to the next. I also had cream leather, but something in between Volvo Blond and Honda light tan, for six years and it was pretty good too. The Volvo Blond is a step too light for me though, especially as I jump in cars in my dirty work clothes regularly. The steering wheel especially is totally unsuited to my lifestyle and work and would look filthy, and remain looking filthy in next to no time.

In fact I find black shows up dirt and dust as badly as any light colour, but that's from light coloured surface dirt rather than clothes dye. On the other hand, black is great at hiding biro, grease and yes, probably jeans blue.

I would have loved to have red inserts in all seats on mine, to match the sports style instruments when so chosen.