Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   300/66 Series Sales (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=153)
-   -   360 GLEi (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=127337)

johnystik Jun 17th, 2011 19:47

360 GLEi

5 Attachment(s)
Silver with blue interior, 68K, one owner from new, beautifull condition inside & out (2 very minor 'dings' in nearside rear door), use for a couple of months last summer but not used for the previous 7 years, kept garaged, not used during the winter months, no MOT or tax, as for the price I've no idea what it's worth so if anyone can give me some idea I'd be gratefull.

Steve940estate Jun 17th, 2011 21:10

Thats a very nice looking car, I haven't a clue what it's worth though. It's tricky not having an MOT as there is no way of telling how much it would cost to get on the road.
I expect if a prospective owner was to view the car they would be satisfied with it's condition, perhaps a few more detail photos might help.

kev240 Jun 17th, 2011 22:26

Lovely car in 1st class condition, scarce model, and low mileage, I would put the car in for a MOT test and then advertise it with a full MOT, should earn very good money, if it was a wee bit closer I would be tempted myself !

S40WML Jun 17th, 2011 23:38

nice 360 distance has never stopped you before kev !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:thumbs_up:

johnystik Jun 18th, 2011 12:18

Thanks for the replies, I didn't really whant to get the car MOT'id as it means taxing and insuring it, I've got 2 other cars on the road at the moment. The only thing that might fail it on the MOT is the rubber coupling between the steering column and rack, seems to be some lost movement between turning the steering wheel and the road wheels moving, if I can locate the part I'll get on and do the job as it failed once before.

SteveP Jun 18th, 2011 13:09

PM Sent.

Annoyingly I've just figured out a saloon won't fit in my garage (Just!!) :( Looks like a lovely car...I have a brand new Volvo steering column rubber coupling if needed

johnystik Jun 18th, 2011 13:49

Hi SteveP, my appologies for not replying earlier, every time I tried to reply it came up with 'unable to post reply until you have 30 posts' not sure what that means, as for the coupling I think I may have located one locally, if that falls throu I'll be back in touch, thanks for the offer.

John

SteveP Jun 18th, 2011 16:30

Ah I think new members require to have made 30 posts to be able to send private messages, to stop spam etc. You can get your post cant up by going here : http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...ght=post+count :)

VND Jun 19th, 2011 07:57

That IS nice.

Citizen.Agfa Jun 19th, 2011 10:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnystik (Post 929880)
Thanks for the replies, I didn't really whant to get the car MOT'id as it means taxing and insuring it, I've got 2 other cars on the road at the moment. The only thing that might fail it on the MOT is the rubber coupling between the steering column and rack, seems to be some lost movement between turning the steering wheel and the road wheels moving, if I can locate the part I'll get on and do the job as it failed once before.

No it doesn't!

A vehicle can be driven untaxed to a pre-booked appointment for a test at the MOT garage/station but it would require insurance cover; that cover need only be third party liability which any insured driver has when driving a car that is not his own, but with the owners permission. So, get a car-owning pal to take the car for MOT and Bob's your mothers brother!

C.A.

Steve940estate Jun 19th, 2011 13:07

I keep coming back to look again !
Although the car has a known fault and hasn't got an MOT I guess you want more than a couple of hundred pounds for the it.
Are you hoping to find it a good home, get back what you paid or just get as much as possible for it.
Did you do the work needed to get it back on the road or did you buy it with an MOT ?

Sorry to ask a lot of questions but because the car isn't known on here some more history would be helpful.
I am tempted to come and have a look myself as you aren't far away. I couldn't afford to buy a good condition one with an MOT but maybe because it hasn't got one you won't be loking for so much.

kev240 Jun 19th, 2011 18:03

Sorry, I think the car must be actually insured by someone to use it on the road, I might be wrong but remember a similar case in a 'Police Stop' on the telly.
Kevin.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Citizen.Agfa (Post 930374)
No it doesn't!

A vehicle can be driven untaxed to a pre-booked appointment for a test at the MOT garage/station but it would require insurance cover; that cover need only be third party liability which any insured driver has when driving a car that is not his own, but with the owners permission. So, get a car-owning pal to take the car for MOT and Bob's your mothers brother!

C.A.

evoman Jun 19th, 2011 18:33

A very nice car! Id put some effort into getting an MOT you'd improve the price very significantly

a.l.2810 Jun 19th, 2011 18:59

Kev240 is right. You can only drive other peoples cars on your insurance if the owner of the car has it insured . Lovely car though. Now if I hadn't just bought the vario....

johnystik Jun 19th, 2011 19:00

Hi, thanks for all your replies, you've convinced me, I'll fix the small job that needs doing and put it in for a MOT and then put it back up for sale. It really is a very well looked after motor and I'd like to get as much for it as possible, whatever that might be ! .......watch this space.

Thanks all
John

Citizen.Agfa Jun 21st, 2011 12:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by a.l.2810 (Post 930633)
Kev240 is right. You can only drive other peoples cars on your insurance if the owner of the car has it insured . Lovely car though. Now if I hadn't just bought the vario....

Lifted this from the "5ive-0 beyond the thin blue line" forum...

Teknobod
07-02-2005, 11:24 AM

Something that you should also be aware of AFAIK is that the vehicle "lent" to you must also be insured under it's own policy.

ie the person lending it should have a policy in their own name for the vehicle in question.

Andy

Kris
07-02-2005, 01:28 PM

No, the car you have been lent doesn't have to be insured for your driving other cars extension to kick in but legally it shoud be insured by the owner to be on the road.

Oh & some policies may have some obscure wording in them that prevent you from driving another car if it is considerably higher in value or insurance group than yours (dates back to the GTi days when poeple thought they could get around the Gti premiums by insuring a knackerd old mini tpft & then drive a VW Gti around registered to someone else under the DOC section of the policy)

Teknobod
07-02-2005, 03:37 PM

No, the car you have been lent doesn't have to be insured for your driving other cars extension to kick in but legally it shoud be insured by the owner to be on the road.

Surely then, that would mean that if it is not insured by the owner it cannot be driven on the road legally. :confused:

Andy

Mice_Elf
07-02-2005, 04:01 PM

It is insured Third party under your insurance, if you use it in such a way.

Essentially, what is being stated here is this: cars are not insured, drivers are.

Hth C.A.

a.l.2810 Jun 21st, 2011 22:53

All cars on the road from today must be covered by valid insurance unless declared sorn. Getting stopped on the way to mot a car would be a terrible way to end the day. If you can't prove there is valid insurance for that vehicle.And if it aint on the database you are going no further in that car.
Would you honestly risk it?

SteveP Jun 21st, 2011 23:35

If it were me I'd just get a temp policy and drive it to an MOT. However, seems like this wont be an issue as the original poster is going to put it through an MOT. Judging by the condition of the rest of the car I can't see it failing on much/anything.

a.l.2810 Jun 22nd, 2011 16:35

Your right some insurers allow you to add another car on a temp basis. Should get a decent price for it with the mot. Gone back to look at the pics a few times.

johnystik Jun 28th, 2011 10:58

The car now has a nice new M.O.T certificate, passed with no problems, also got a new cam belt and fan belts, the cap who done the M.O.T was very impressed with the car and reckond I should be asking at least £2000 for it, sounds a lot to me.
I'll tax it at the begining of the month, also insured it for 28 days so I've got that long to get it sold.

John

VND Jun 28th, 2011 14:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnystik (Post 936282)
The car now has a nice new M.O.T certificate, passed with no problems, also got a new cam belt and fan belts, the cap who done the M.O.T was very impressed with the car and reckond I should be asking at least £2000 for it, sounds a lot to me.
I'll tax it at the begining of the month, also insured it for 28 days so I've got that long to get it sold.

John

Thatd make it one of the most expensive 300s in recent memory.

GLWTS man, not tempted to keep it and run it?

Looks like a lovely car.

SteveP Jun 28th, 2011 23:40

Sounds nice, but IMO £2000 is way off the mark, more like half that if it really is as good as it looks - just being honest

shaun Aug 5th, 2011 20:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Citizen.Agfa (Post 930374)
No it doesn't!

C.A.

Your own insurance does not cover you to drive an uninsured vehicle, the other vehicle must have at least third party cover as well. Your own insurance only covers YOU to drive said car.

foggyjames Aug 18th, 2011 13:11

£2k would be the best-case scenario, IMO, but you should be able to get at least £1k if it's as good as it looks in the pics. All down to the buyer. Good luck with the sale!

cheers

James

kev240 Aug 19th, 2011 20:35

The car is now sitting outside my house, up in Oban, well worth the 1,018 mile return journey to pick it up, and a bargain from a very helpful seller!
In lovely condition, as described, with one years MOT, six months Road Tax, Timing Belt done, and brand new Radio/CD Player fitted by seller. All MOT's, Service History, even the original 'Volvo Owners Card' given to his father when he bought the car was in the pristine Owners Wallet complete with all hanbooks, service records, etc.
Original Jack etc, don't think it has ever been used, five alloys, the list is endless.
Will post up some photo's when I get the chance.
Cheers,
Kevin.

Steve940estate Aug 19th, 2011 21:48

I wondered what had happened to this car as it looked good in the photos. It's good that it's got a new home.

Lami17 Aug 22nd, 2011 04:44

Hi, I'm new to this forum. Is this car for sale? I am looking for a low mileage (lower the better) 360 or 340. anything considered. Thanks.

kev240 Aug 22nd, 2011 10:24

Sorry, but this car is not for sale.
Cheers,
Kevin.

foggyjames Aug 22nd, 2011 12:13

One thing I forgot earlier in the thread...the "drive any car" clauses *can* cover uninsured cars. I had a policy which worked this way a couple of years ago (and I double-checked it). Of course the car is uninsured as soon as you get out of it, so you can't park it on a public road!

Lami - Nowadays, I would worry far more about the bodywork condition than the mileage. 150k miles is no cause for concern on these cars if they've been well looked after. They're very rugged, mechanically, but the bodywork is a potential problem. I have a number of low-ish mileage cars, and the the suspension is just as worn (by age) as on the higher mileage cars.

cheers

James