Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Gearbox issue - oil? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=287180)

Faxo Oct 5th, 2018 18:27

Gearbox issue - oil?

I’ve just picked up my 2003 XC90 D5 Auto from the garage, after having the gearbox removed to replace a leaking core plug

The gearbox is now slipping into 3rd, and when stationary, it clunks forward every now and then. I had the gearbox oil changed whilst the repair was being done. I’ve checked the level and it’s ok. I’ve spoken to the mechanic (a friend), and he’s said he drained it out the bottom, and refilled it via the level tube. He’s now text me saying he thinks it takes a special oil, and it’s just been filled with ATF?

My question is, does it take a special oil, if so what? And is there a special way to drain and fill them?

Thanks

S60D5-185 Oct 5th, 2018 18:37

For your car I would think it should be JWS 3309 spec ONLY.

Check yourself but normal generic ATF ? NO !

Check properly and totally refill with correct fluid. Draining via sump will only remove half. Use Gibbons method and hope that you get away with it.

Faxo Oct 5th, 2018 18:40

I really hope this hasn’t damaged a previously working fine gearbox, it’s been driven around 25 miles like this...

XC90Mk1 Oct 5th, 2018 19:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faxo (Post 2454447)
I really hope this hasn’t damaged a previously working fine gearbox, it’s been driven around 25 miles like this...

I wouldn’t think that it has. But yes it should use jws3309 and not standard atf fluid

Faxo Oct 5th, 2018 19:55

Tomorrow will mostly involve me flushing the gearbox then!

Thanks

S60D5-185 Oct 5th, 2018 20:09

Ignore the oil that this guy uses and also the fact that he has installed an extra filter.

Follow this procedure with JWS 3309 and it will flush the box through with fresh fluid.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

XC90Mk1 Oct 5th, 2018 20:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by S60D5-185 (Post 2454475)
Ignore the oil that this guy uses and also the fact that he has installed an extra filter.

Follow this procedure with JWS 3309 and it will flush the box through with fresh fluid.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

That’s a good video...

Faxo Oct 5th, 2018 20:52

I watched one further up, where the guy used washing machine pipe that fit flush over the hole in the cooler and drained 1.5l at a time, where as themrother videos use clear pipe that go into the hole and drained it until it ran out

Does anyone know where I can get the correct diameter clear hose from?

cheshired5 Oct 5th, 2018 21:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faxo (Post 2454494)
Does anyone know where I can get the correct diameter clear hose from?

B&Q sell it. Around 12mm ID but you can confirm by carefully removing the top oil cooler hose from the radiator and measuring.

oragex Oct 5th, 2018 23:10

I have my doubts.. don't think even with non standard fluid it should be behaving like that all of a sudden.

Faxo Oct 6th, 2018 09:20

It’s just strange that it was absolutely fine, then with the wrong oil in its suddenly started slipping

I can get 20l off eBay for £50, or 15l of Millers for £90

Tannaton Oct 6th, 2018 10:33

If it were a manual gearbox I would agree with you but on the AISIN WARNER the fluid is critical. Various parts of the gearbox (clutches, gear sets, torque converter lock) are controlled by by hydraulically operated systems that do different functions at different pressures, these are all controlled by solenoids. The electronics of the gearbox continually adapt to the changes in fluid as it gets older, a sudden change to the wrong fluid can and does cause chaos.

When you change the oil for the correct stuff again, you should also get the transmission adaptation memory reset.

Faxo Oct 6th, 2018 10:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tannaton (Post 2454605)
If it were a manual gearbox I would agree with you but on the AISIN WARNER the fluid is critical. Various parts of the gearbox (clutches, gear sets, torque converter lock) are controlled by by hydraulically operated systems that do different functions at different pressures, these are all controlled by solenoids. The electronics of the gearbox continually adapt to the changes in fluid as it gets older, a sudden change to the wrong fluid can and does cause chaos.

When you change the oil for the correct stuff again, you should also get the transmission adaptation memory reset.

Is this dealer only?

S60D5-185 Oct 6th, 2018 10:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faxo (Post 2454608)
Is this dealer only?

No, anyone with Vida can do it for you.

Just ask to see if anyone on here is in your vicinity to help out.:teeth_smile:

Tannaton Oct 6th, 2018 11:09

Dealers can do it, as can any good Volvo Indie and most good garages with appropriate diagnostic equipment.

It's a 10 min job so even at a dealer shouldn't be expensive.

If you post on here someone will recommend a local for you (P&R in Leeds?) or occasionally someone might do it for you in return for beer...

XC90Mk1 Oct 6th, 2018 12:22

It’s not a ‘10 minute job’ (I do have VIDA). Have to read in your vin, load the modules and reset, in a dealership they will have to book it in and issue an invoice etc.

Jws3309 is not a standard atf fluid it is a high friction type specifically to support lock up in the AW boxes. I am not convinced it would cause this issue by for the cost of a change it is more than worth a shot and there is a pretty good chance it will work.

XC90Mk1 Oct 6th, 2018 12:25

Also VIDA reset of adaptations will make no difference to slippage etc. Just do it and don’t worry about Vida

Tannaton Oct 6th, 2018 15:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 (Post 2454638)
It’s not a ‘10 minute job’ (I do have VIDA). Have to read in your vin, load the modules and reset, in a dealership they will have to book it in and issue an invoice etc.

Jws3309 is not a standard atf fluid it is a high friction type specifically to support lock up in the AW boxes. I am not convinced it would cause this issue by for the cost of a change it is more than worth a shot and there is a pretty good chance it will work.

Yes it is a 10 minute job. Happy to post a video so you know how to do it the quick way next time.

And resetting the adaptation memory is very important in these circumstances and it most definitely can affect affect slip and flare in certain circumstances. The short distance the car has been driven, the TCM will have started to adapt to the new (incorrect) fluid and this will likely make things worse when the correct fluid is back in.

luggsey Oct 6th, 2018 15:55

I used 1" hose pipe to fit over the cooler outlet outer pipe, easy to source.

XC90Mk1 Oct 6th, 2018 19:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tannaton (Post 2454661)
Yes it is a 10 minute job. Happy to post a video so you know how to do it the quick way next time.

And resetting the adaptation memory is very important in these circumstances and it most definitely can affect affect slip and flare in certain circumstances. The short distance the car has been driven, the TCM will have started to adapt to the new (incorrect) fluid and this will likely make things worse when the correct fluid is back in.

That’s a nice response, thanks. I think I should have clarified that I don’t think Volvo will only charge 10 minutes (although it did take me a bit longer than 10 minutes). Part of the time on reflection was probably as it was my first time using VIDA, I didn’t know you had to click on the gearbox icon lol!

Tannaton Oct 6th, 2018 21:31

Yep I would agree, I doubt a Volvo dealership would ever charge for just 10 minutes. So I should clarify too - it's a 10 min job of elapsed time, if you drive into the workshop and the chap is stood there with his laptop...

Faxo Oct 13th, 2018 15:49

Update on this

Flushed 20 litres of the correct oil (purchased a 20l drum on eBay, delivered next day for £50!), and I’m relieved to say that it’s cured the problem! I haven’t had any counters reset or anything, it drives very well with no slip, and no clunking!

Flushed it using the ‘Gibbons’ method, and it was extremely easy! 1” pipe over the the outlet, into a jug for 2 litres, then 2 litres back in via the dipstick. Did this for 17 litres, 3 out the drain plug, checked the oil level at 45 degrees and it was absolutely spot on!

XC90Mk1 Oct 13th, 2018 19:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faxo (Post 2457012)
Update on this

Flushed 20 litres of the correct oil (purchased a 20l drum on eBay, delivered next day for £50!), and I’m relieved to say that it’s cured the problem! I haven’t had any counters reset or anything, it drives very well with no slip, and no clunking!

Flushed it using the ‘Gibbons’ method, and it was extremely easy! 1” pipe over the the outlet, into a jug for 2 litres, then 2 litres back in via the dipstick. Did this for 17 litres, 3 out the drain plug, checked the oil level at 45 degrees and it was absolutely spot on!

Well done that’s great!