Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Are XC60 owners happy? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=92978)

Vecais Apr 10th, 2010 04:16

Are XC60 owners happy?

The forums tend to focus on issues and problems. I am happy with my XC60 and have no problems. Anyone else?

SKH Apr 10th, 2010 10:18

Nothing is ever perfect but the XC60 is easily the best car I have owned in 35 years driving.

Brodick Apr 10th, 2010 15:44

I have to say I am very happy with my XC60. only done 1200 miles so far
so it is early days. (I do have a couple of what I hope to be very minor issues which will be sorted at its quality assurance inspection)

Still Very Happy though.

davidash Apr 10th, 2010 16:48

Best car I have ever owned (+40 years on the road - mostly Merc's). Very comfortable, loads of power and lots of extras. Hoping to try it offroad soon.

XC 60 D5 AWD Geartronic

Foringo Apr 10th, 2010 18:56

Due for 3000 mile quality check on Monday....no problems and very pleased with my XC60...seems to be very well built.

Clan Apr 10th, 2010 19:06

no real faults cropping up at all . Most of the technology is proved in the S80 from 2007 except city safety , but one must assume thats fully sorted , we cant really test that until the conditions are right to bring it into action .
There is a steering pipe retaining screw recall on certain XC60's which is an inherent FORD problem which Volvo have developed a better design fix for ..

NewVolvo Apr 10th, 2010 20:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 650078)
no real faults cropping up at all . Most of the technology is proved in the S80 from 2007 except city safety , but one must assume thats fully sorted , we cant really test that until the conditions are right to bring it into action .
There is a steering pipe retaining screw recall on certain XC60's which is an inherent FORD problem which Volvo have developed a better design fix for ..

Got my recall letter today..... 2nd one this year!

bluesnappa Apr 11th, 2010 00:55

:) you bet!

Bonnie-Sunshine Apr 11th, 2010 09:52

I love my XC60. My last car was a Merc CLK convertible, but I was over the whole "wind in ya hair" thing. This is the perfect car for me. As I said, I love it.

Vecais Apr 11th, 2010 11:29

As most have commented, there is plenty to like about the car. I will list some of the things that appeal to me:

Sure-footed handling on tarmac or dirt roads, wet or dry.
Plenty of power for hills or overtaking (D5 twin turbo plus good auto).
Good fuel economy.
Folding external mirrors and the close of windows on locking up.
Bluetooth phone.

But some minor irritations:

Switches are not ergonomically designed. We often inadvertently press the flashing warning lights when retrieving sunglasses from the micro shelf in the dash and also press the fuel lid when attempting to open the power tailgate. The main light switch is invisible when driving so it is best to drive with the lights always on (probably a bit safer, as well).

The rear windscreen badly accumulates dust when driving off the tarmac.

Vecais Apr 12th, 2010 08:21

It would be handy if the owners who have issues, big or small, would post a reply so that we can get a feel of what grates.

andy.cass Apr 12th, 2010 10:48

Overall happy with the '60. Done 7000 miles now and only issue is wind noise. Looked at by dealer for second time while in for the Garmin instal. Wind noise better, but trim scratched by dealer during Garmin job. Back again to have a console trim lifted out of a forecourt car. Great car, dealer needs to try harder.

Another Apr 12th, 2010 12:58

8000 miles on my XC60 2.4D Drive SE - still pleased.

Niggles include:-

knocking when going over speed bumps from front suspension
internal alarm sensor faulty
paint blemish on tailgate getting re-sprayed this week
noise from wing-mirrors / A pillar still there

Positives:-
very comfortable
family pack - child seats very good
big enough for family / dog
42 mpg minimum / 49 mpg max
city safety system - works well in snow and ice - saved me skidding into bollard !

Would change
electronic handbrake location
annoying compass in mirror

tangey Apr 12th, 2010 13:59

Very happy with my D5(205) SE Lux. It does however seem (must be wong) less pokey than the 2.4drivE I had for a test drive prior to purchase.

Things I would change (some already mentioned)

1) fog lights and fuel/tailgate switches are totally hit and miss.
2) front park sensors sometime goes off when cars/lorrys drive by, but I think thats common to the technology.
3) the hinge flap on the boot floor (for groceries) knocks about a bit when travelling, unless something is on top of it.
4) Might have gone for the auto instead of the manual.

Foringo Apr 12th, 2010 17:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by tangey (Post 651170)
Very happy with my D5(205) SE Lux. It does however seem (must be wong) less pokey than the 2.4drivE I had for a test drive prior to purchase.

Things I would change (some already mentioned)

1) fog lights and fuel/tailgate switches are totally hit and miss.
2) front park sensors sometime goes off when cars/lorrys drive by, but I think thats common to the technology.
3) the hinge flap on the boot floor (for groceries) knocks about a bit when travelling, unless something is on top of it.
4) Might have gone for the auto instead of the manual.

Agree with #1 & #2 ...my front parking sensors also get spuriously affected by the odd passing vehicle or kerbside obstructions...my previous cars didn't seem to be so sensitive but it may be because these outer sensors are angled out more? Normally works OK though. PS Just returned after having 3000 mile quality check...and have had to book it in to have an oil weep fixed on the transfer box.:swoon:

Pebble Apr 12th, 2010 18:00

Very Happy

Have done just over 10k miles now and am very pleased. Have the same niggles as mentioned already, light switches, electronic parking brake - badly placed, wrong size - but getting used to them.

Enjoy driving it, very comfortable and competent. Coped well with most of the snow, despite only being 2WD Drive version - I did feel silly at the time explaining to folks that it wasn't actually 4WD. Yes looking back might have gone for the Geartronic (nowhere to put your left foot next to the clutch peddle.) But it wouldn't be right if there weren't a few things that could be improved.

bluesnappa Apr 12th, 2010 20:34

Hell yes...I was on the beach today, sand, shingle, boulders...just as sure footed as the XC90 it replaced. Had fun in the sun so I am a happy owner. The acceleration is good but the one niggle is that when you back off the accelerator and then go back on, there is a slight delay before the power boots in. It is there from the first touch but seems gentle power rather than snap in power. It happens but a fraction after the pedal is pushed down. I suppose that I need to back off less and keep it all spinning, maybe it is a car that likes revs to get the best out of it. I have not noticed this in the gentle driving I have done till yesterday when I was pushing it through the curves...not madly but just driving in a 'sporty' manner and I just felt there was a bit of a delay then 'bang' and in it came. Any one else noticed this? The rest of the car is fine though.

Vecais Apr 13th, 2010 00:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Another (Post 651145)

annoying compass in mirror

You can get rid of it by pushing a reset button in the bottom of the mirror. Use a pencil or unbent paper clip. I did mine on day one.

Vecais Apr 13th, 2010 00:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluesnappa (Post 651416)
Hell yes...I was on the beach today, sand, shingle, boulders...just as sure footed as the XC90 it replaced. Had fun in the sun so I am a happy owner. The acceleration is good but the one niggle is that when you back off the accelerator and then go back on, there is a slight delay before the power boots in. It is there from the first touch but seems gentle power rather than snap in power. It happens but a fraction after the pedal is pushed down. I suppose that I need to back off less and keep it all spinning, maybe it is a car that likes revs to get the best out of it. I have not noticed this in the gentle driving I have done till yesterday when I was pushing it through the curves...not madly but just driving in a 'sporty' manner and I just felt there was a bit of a delay then 'bang' and in it came. Any one else noticed this? The rest of the car is fine though.

I noticed this when I was on the initial test drive with a MY09 model. The sales person pointed out that it was due to turbo lag and that there would be less of a problem with the MY10 model because of the twin turbo.

Sure enough I have almost zero lag with mine.

There was no MY10 model to test drive at the time and I considered the possibility that the saleswoman may be wrong. The issue was not enough to put me off buying. As you say, it is not that apparent during normal driving.

bluesnappa Apr 13th, 2010 11:11

Mine is a My10 twin turbo! Almost zero lag but not quite. Still great fun though and does all I need.

jimhamilton Apr 14th, 2010 14:51

My SE Lux Geartronic has self-levelling suspension. I live in the country with poor roads. On these roads, at speeds below 40 mph, the car rolls, wobbles bounces badly and suffers severe steering tracking. It is my 10th Volvo. I have been happy with 9 and the ninth was a fantastic car (2003 XC70).
The dealer has been looking at the car for the six months I have owned it and has done ove half of its 3000 miles. It is there now, awaiting my request for a full refund.
Make sure you test your car on your local roads before you part with your cash.

HairyMonster Apr 14th, 2010 19:28

I've driven it for 7 months now and it's the best car I've ever owned ...well pleased with it:thumbs_up:

It has load compensating rear suspension (for towing etc) and has never caused any problems handling wise.

carlott Apr 15th, 2010 01:25

Hi,

Had my MY10 2.4D FWD Geartronic for a month now with just under 400 miles.

Plus points would be handling, ride comfort, gearbox, High Perf audio with DAB and overall external design.

On the negatives, the 2.4D feels noisier and rougher than I remember from 3 previous test drives with D5s and 2.4Ds. Fuel consumption has been sitting at 26.5mpg (urban) Noticed VED band was 1 higher than advertised in brouchour and web when I picked the car up. Centre and door armrests at different height.

Otherwise great all round car.

C

Foringo Apr 15th, 2010 08:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimhamilton (Post 652457)
My SE Lux Geartronic has self-levelling suspension. I live in the country with poor roads. On these roads, at speeds below 40 mph, the car rolls, wobbles bounces badly and suffers severe steering tracking. It is my 10th Volvo. I have been happy with 9 and the ninth was a fantastic car (2003 XC70).
The dealer has been looking at the car for the six months I have owned it and has done ove half of its 3000 miles. It is there now, awaiting my request for a full refund.
Make sure you test your car on your local roads before you part with your cash.

In the past I owned a '07 Citroen C5 estate with hydropneumatic self levelling suspension which was fantastic (didn't need separate levelling on xenon headlights!), but also a C4 Grand Picasso which had self levelling suspension on rear only (with on board air compressor) which gave a poor ride choppy and I assume that this is similar system to the XC60 option....so that's why I avoided it this time round.

adambsmith Apr 15th, 2010 09:59

22,000 miles up on my 2009 XC60 D5.

All good apart from:

Headlamp washer pump had to be replaced as it was corroded and ceased working - sorted under warranty with only one vist to the dealer.

Buzzy noise on start up from engine particularly after a damp/wet night. Goes after about 20 seconds from engine start up. Annoyingly this only started after the first service at 18,000 miles. Sounds like a belt catching or slipping on something - weird. Can't be bothered going to the dealer as it will need an overnight stay in the wet to demonstrate the issue.

I even think the SatNav is fine despite comments to the negative on here.

Slight annoyance is the behaviour of the locks on the doors - can never fathom when they are supposed to all unlock when getting out but hey ho.

asparks May 12th, 2010 18:32

Love my car (xc60 3.0T6 geartronic) but have a couple of niggles....

1. Some rattling from rear left in load compartment - am not sure if related to the load compartment cover but have however ensured that the cover is properly fixed at all times. Will refer the matter to the dealership when I take my car in for the recall.
2. Battle to find overhead console light switch at night. It is not intuitively located!
3. Am disappointed in the Hi-performance sound system in this car. Had the same system in my previous S40 T5 and it sounded so much better. Recognise tho that this car is bigger! (Did try to order the Dynaudio but no cars available with this spec in SA at the time and I wasn't prepared to risk a retro-fit in this country!)
4. Is it just me but I feel that suspension a bit rough on bumpy stretches of road - and in these conditions it reminds me somewhat of my old 2004 S40 T5 and its (rather uncomfortable) sports suspension! On a good open road the XC60's ride is supreme however day to day driving is not an open freeway! (In my view my 2000 model S40T offered the best ride of them all in allround SA conditions)

dj898 May 13th, 2010 01:58

apart from several recalls the only issue would be the noise from driver side folding mirror. Mentioned to the dealer on first two recalls and they said there's nothing wrong and it should sort itself out and the noise would be gone. Well it didn't and at one before previous recall one of tech finally dismantle that folding mirror and found the washer has unstuck somehow and causing that noise. Replaced and the noise is gone. Also the CD button in the centre console started to get stuck when it's pressed. After mentioning to the dealer they pull out and put back the centre console cover with better clearance.

Other than these two and numerous recalls we have no problem.
at least Volvo AU sent us the gift card for studio photo session plus some credit to use... And every time I brought the car for the recall service they lend me the free loan car - had pleasure(?) to test drive S80 Turbo, S30 T5, Toyota Camry Hybrid and V50 among some of free loan cars...

155mph May 13th, 2010 10:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlott (Post 652811)
Noticed VED band was 1 higher than advertised in brouchour and web when I picked the car up.

When did you take delivery? Did you challenge this?

carlott May 13th, 2010 15:00

Hi,

I took delivery on March 22nd and first we knew was the higher than expected cost for the road tax and that evening looking through the vehicle handbook an addendum on a piece of paper slipped in.
On another thread it was mentioned this changed from build week 9 but why this happened and which build week my vehicle is has not been confirmed.

After initially ordering in mid December, the order costs went up by VAT increase (ok, we knew about this) list price increases from Jan 6th and then the VED band. There is a definate disconnect and lack of info from Volvo UK and the dealers.

:-(

dodgyblue May 14th, 2010 00:18

Quite happy other than the known rising oil issue. Its a great car to drive. Now if only I can reduce the amount of brake dust. :(

wimorrison May 14th, 2010 08:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by dodgyblue (Post 670021)
Quite happy other than the known rising oil issue. Its a great car to drive. Now if only I can reduce the amount of brake dust. :(

use the brakes less? :) (also helps fuel consumption :) )

Dude May 14th, 2010 14:30

Nice package, but a few disappointments

Overall happy with the XC60 (D5 SE AWD 205 bhp)

It's my wife's car and she loves it lock stock and barrel, it but as a passenger I tend to notice stuff she doesn't notice whilst concentrating on the road.

Firstly, the ride is way too hard. On smooth roads, it's fine, but then so would a kiddies go-kart be. On Real Roads(tm) there's a threshold of bumpiness above which it can be a real bone-shaker (and that's rather a lot of roads in Scotland). And properly offroad (dirt tracks to forest car parks etc) you get thrown all over the place. Very disappointed, and especially compared to my own XC70, which gets very similar use. They have clearly gone for handling over ride; such a shame that they should listen to motoring pundits who criticise handling of a 4WD, for goodness' sake. I notice that for the US market, softer suspension is used. I may try and see if this is available as a change.

Other small niggles are generally around build quality (wind noise, tailgate rattles, etc), again not quite up to my XC70, some have been mentioned to the dealer for the 3000 mile check-up, we'll see if they're gone afterwards.

MPG on the way up as it loosens up - 3000 miles and about 34-35 mpg in mixed driving. Very impressed with the power upgrade from the 184 bhp D5 engine - a lot more grunt low down, good pulling power all through the range, and also a lot quieter than the older engine. Again, motoring pundits should take note of Volvo's upgrades to what they constantly whine on about as being an "outdated" engine.

GrahamTB May 14th, 2010 17:04

The potentially harsh ride is why I have mentioned tyre pressure in another thread. I have found over the years driving BMWs and Mercs that a very small reduction in the tyre pressure dramatically improves the ride. The type of tyre fitted will also make a difference and I have always fitted softer tyres. The down side is that by so doing the fuel economy is not quite as good and there is a greater degree of wear. Nevertheless, I have always been prepared to sacrifice these for better ride quality.

I have had many arguments with Mercedes UK who tell me they fit hard wearing tyres because the companies and fleet operators insist on maximum wear from the tyres. My argument has always been that when I buy a "luxury" car I expect maximum comfort and will accept more tyre wear to gain that comfort.

I welcome further comments here or under the "Tyre pressure" thread.

It would also be interesting to know if "Dude" has 18" or 17" wheels on his wife's XC60.

rkennedy May 14th, 2010 23:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dude (Post 670251)
Overall happy with the XC60 (D5 SE AWD 205 bhp)

It's my wife's car and she loves it lock stock and barrel, it but as a passenger I tend to notice stuff she doesn't notice whilst concentrating on the road.

Firstly, the ride is way too hard. On smooth roads, it's fine, but then so would a kiddies go-kart be. On Real Roads(tm) there's a threshold of bumpiness above which it can be a real bone-shaker (and that's rather a lot of roads in Scotland). And properly offroad (dirt tracks to forest car parks etc) you get thrown all over the place. Very disappointed, and especially compared to my own XC70, which gets very similar use. They have clearly gone for handling over ride; such a shame that they should listen to motoring pundits who criticise handling of a 4WD, for goodness' sake. I notice that for the US market, softer suspension is used. I may try and see if this is available as a change.

Other small niggles are generally around build quality (wind noise, tailgate rattles, etc), again not quite up to my XC70, some have been mentioned to the dealer for the 3000 mile check-up, we'll see if they're gone afterwards.

MPG on the way up as it loosens up - 3000 miles and about 34-35 mpg in mixed driving. Very impressed with the power upgrade from the 184 bhp D5 engine - a lot more grunt low down, good pulling power all through the range, and also a lot quieter than the older engine. Again, motoring pundits should take note of Volvo's upgrades to what they constantly whine on about as being an "outdated" engine.

Coming also from Aberdeenshire I presume we are driving on the same roads!:angel_smile: although I do not drive off road. I find the ride ok on my 17" wheels with pressure at 36psi.
I would agree with your comments on the power of the engine but I find it very "grumbly" (it is definitely not quiet :shocked:) and quite noisy especially compared with my previous BMW.
Again, I assume you will be visiting our Volvo dealer in Aberdeen and, based on my experience of my recent 3000 mile quality service, prepare to be disappointed. "Wind noise round the mirror is quite normal sir" although they did say they adjusted the mirror - no difference to the wind noise though!! Received a check sheet which showed they checked the tyres (big deal!), fluid levels, etc. What was interesting is what was NOT checked - exhaust, steering, suspension, drive shafts or oil leaks. Was shocked to find that the average fuel consumption when the car was dropped off was 43.2mpg and when collected later in the day was down to 40.1mpg - were they belting the guts out of it trying to find the wind noise? At first they said please collect your car at 4.30 - not amused when I told them I would collect the car at 1.30 as previously agreed when booking the car in for the inspection (dropped off at 9.15). To be fair, the car was then ready for 1.30 but hey - what they did could not have taken longer than 30 minutes.
I like the car apart from a few small niggles but service will have to improve.

wimorrison May 15th, 2010 06:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkennedy (Post 670514)
... "Wind noise round the mirror is quite normal sir" although they did say they adjusted the mirror - no difference to the wind noise though!! ....

There are several threads about this from last year where many of us had this problem, me included. My car went back 3 times to get the issue sorted and eventually they admitted it was known fault and it took around 30 mins to cure.

Regrettably they would not tell me what they did, in fact they appear to have told no-one, but there is a fix. If your garage cannot cure it tell them to call Squire Furneaux in Guildford as they fixed mine and have done a few others :)

Good Luck

Dellsonic May 15th, 2010 08:44

Servicing In Aberdeen

Interesting to see the poor feedback on servicing in Aberdeen. This is totaly unsurpising to me as the dealer seemed very unknowledgeable about the car when I went to visit them and had a general "i dont dgive a stuff attitude". This can be explained by the fact that only two companies own nearly all the garages in Aberdeen (and one - John Clark) owns most. No competition.

I have generally found both sales and servicing in Aberdeen very very poor and expensive. I have not brought a car from an Aberdeen dealer in the last 15 years as a result, and never use the franchised dealers there either.

I am getting my lease car via a dealer down south.

Dell Boy

Teejay1 May 18th, 2010 14:44

Comforting thought!

It's kind of comforting to see that a large percentage of people who bought the XC60 are happy with it.

Especially when many of these forums basically exist to bitch and whine about products.

shortvehicle May 19th, 2010 15:54

XC60 2.4DrivE SE Lux

Fine car. 800 miles since new.
At 700 miles it called for a litre of oil. Checked and found that at PDI the Dipstick had been replaced with one of the forks in the hole, so no seal. Oil had sprayed all over the engine compartment. Dealer collected vehicle and sorted same day. Replacing oil I used to fill as required. Impressed.
Fitted a Witter Towbar (Detachable) myself, from PF Jones, and using Volvo generic Towbar Electrics (see cardiff dealer - Very helpful) that totalled less than £250, which was much better than the near £700 for the Volvo standard, and has a much nicer look, without that dirty, great cutout in the rear bumper. The dealer commented on this and reckoned it was a good job. Impressed again, as the Dealer did my software upgrade when they did the oil clean-up.
Question - My XC60 has one rear fog light on the drivers side. Why then is there a bulb and wiring to the passenger side? Why not make both active?
I have active bending lights and they are great. You can set them for driving in Europe by a computer link switch on the dashboard. Why then does the Rear fog light just change to the other side?
Better still, as I said before, why do they not both work? All I have really is an extra spare bulb that will cause a fault indication if I remove it...Hmmmm!!!

BTW Dealer is in Aylesford Maidstone, and they have been pretty good so far, so deal with them in confidence and recommendation.

Daleman May 19th, 2010 16:11

How does the Witter detachable go about not requiring that cutout on the back bumper that the Volvo official one needs with its cover plate? Sounds good! Any chance of a photo of it fitted concealed and /or showing ?

dj898 May 20th, 2010 07:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by shortvehicle (Post 672855)
Question - My XC60 has one rear fog light on the drivers side. Why then is there a bulb and wiring to the passenger side? Why not make both active?
I have active bending lights and they are great. You can set them for driving in Europe by a computer link switch on the dashboard. Why then does the Rear fog light just change to the other side?
Better still, as I said before, why do they not both work? All I have really is an extra spare bulb that will cause a fault indication if I remove it...Hmmmm!!!

Maybe this would shed some light(!)...

"...Most jurisdictions permit rear fog lamps to be installed either singly or in pairs. If a single rear fog is fitted, most jurisdictions require it to be located at or to the driver's side of the vehicle's centreline — whichever side is the prevailing driver's side in the country in which the vehicle is registered.[15]
This is to maximise the sight line of following drivers to the rear fog lamp. In many cases, a single reversing lamp is mounted on the passenger side of the vehicle, positionally symmetrical with the rear fog. If two rear fog lamps are fitted, they must be symmetrical with respect to the vehicle's centreline.[15]
Proponents of twin rear fog lamps say two lamps provide vehicle distance information not available from a single lamp.
Proponents of the single rear fog lamp say dual rear fog lamps closely mimic the appearance of illuminated brake lamps (which are mandatorily installed in pairs), reducing the conspicuity of the brake lamps' message when the rear fogs are activated.
To provide some safeguard against rear fog lamps being confused with brake lamps, ECE R48 requires a separation of at least 10 cm between the closest illuminated edges of any brake lamp and any rear fog lamp.[15] ..."

[15] ECE R48, "Installation of lighting and light-signalling devices on motor vehicles"
*Wikipedia*