Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Trigger the 940lpt (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=288277)

griston64 Nov 5th, 2018 20:53

Trigger the 940lpt

4 Attachment(s)
Here are a few pics of Trigger.My new ( to me ) Volvo 940lpt

This is her at her previous owners getting transported from North Ayrshire up to Glasgow.

She has approx 124500 miles on the clock and has been owned by two forum members for the last ten years and one of the forum members mother for seven years before that

I'm getting the MOT sorted first and will then work my way through any other stuff that needs doing

Watch this space !!

PS The name Trigger was given to to the car by the previous owner so I thought it best to keep the name goingAttachment 116590

Attachment 116591

Attachment 116592

Attachment 116593

jonnyf90 Nov 5th, 2018 23:21

Best colour (Regency Red Metallic - paint code 418 ;)).
Being an LPT - fit an MBC and boost gauge - up it to 11psi, lose those 15" Adharas, clear indicators all round and egg crate grill!

Cheers :)

griston64 Nov 6th, 2018 09:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnyf90 (Post 2464196)
Being an LPT - fit an MBC and boost gauge - up it to 11psi, lose those 15" Adharas, clear indicators all round and egg crate grill!

That may well come ! Once shes all sorted and roadworthy

Let me know when your free to fit the MBC and supply the Galaxies :regular_smile::regular_smile:

griston64 Nov 6th, 2018 18:17

Waiting for medical !!

2 Attachment(s)
Trigger has now safely arrived in Glasgow and is waiting to go in for her medical !!

Getting new front discs and pads fitted and will need two tyres to start with. After that we will have to wait and see.

Attachment 116605

Attachment 116606

Had a few comments on her already !! ( all good ! )

ton377 Nov 6th, 2018 18:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnyf90 (Post 2464196)

She used to have all those have a look at my avatar 😁

griston64 Nov 7th, 2018 18:35

Triggers prognosis !

Trigger has had her MOT today and considering she's been stored for about 5 years ( i think ) Its not too bad at all

Front discs are shot ( I had already bought new ones with discount from ECP )and rear brakes are very sticky. I'm hoping once they get them apart they should free up. Will possibly need new rear pads and handbrake shoes. Also needs a new handbrake cable and that's it:regular_smile:

Garage said she is starting perfectly and running fine. They were pretty impressed to be honest!

Hopefully she will be on the road by the weekend and i can then start all the little jobs that need doing. Oil and fluids all replaced, fresh coolant, new timing belt and a really good wash and polish:regular_smile::regular_smile:

Thanks to the two previous owners for looking after her so well:regular_smile:

ton377 Nov 7th, 2018 21:03

That's great news Mark! Hopefully I'll see her out and about sometime.
All the best.

griston64 Nov 7th, 2018 22:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by ton377 (Post 2464760)
That's great news Mark! Hopefully I'll see her out and about sometime.
All the best.

Hopefully I'll get her along to one of the meets in the near future. You might even see her out and about on the M80 as well:regular_smile:

N59ESR Nov 8th, 2018 12:55

Well done......

Good news indeed, Mark. Good to see that she's not far off from going back on the road. I did fear that the fail list might be a bit longer, particularly the ABS warning light, front wipers and when i moved her from the garage i thought there was a bit of a blow from the exhaust somewhere, but great that you've been able to sort these out, and looks like it's really just the brakes. Looking forward to your further updates!
Cheers.

griston64 Nov 8th, 2018 13:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by N59ESR (Post 2464927)
Good news indeed, Mark. Good to see that she's not far off from going back on the road. I did fear that the fail list might be a bit longer, particularly the ABS warning light, front wipers and when i moved her from the garage i thought there was a bit of a blow from the exhaust somewhere, but great that you've been able to sort these out, and looks like it's really just the brakes. Looking forward to your further updates!
Cheers.

Hi Stuart

Never mentioned the ABS light but that could be on as the brakes are jammed.

I was at garage last night when they started her to move inside and she sounded fine

All stuff getting fixed today so I will do an update as soon as I know more

griston64 Nov 12th, 2018 09:50

Quick update

New front pads and discs all fitted. Front brakes are now tickety boo:regular_smile:

Delay has been caused due to having to wait for the new handbrake cable which just arrived this morning when i popped into the garage

Going to get them to put fresh oil in and fit filter that Stuart ( previous owner ) very kindly left for me

I'm going bung on new tyres all round as well seeing as winter is on its way

Pics of her back on the road very soon hopefully

griston64 Nov 15th, 2018 11:13

Little goodies for Trigger

1 Attachment(s)
Some goodies arrived for Trigger today :regular_smile::regular_smile:Attachment 116764

Getting new tyres fitted today

Hoping to get him back from garage tomorrow

griston64 Nov 15th, 2018 13:47

Possible turn for the worst

All was going well when I went round to garage to see about tyre fitting.

They then told me when the changed oil it was emulsified. The car hasn't really moved much in the last 6 years so it could just be from standing.......on the other hand it could be the dreaded HG:eek:

They said the car is driving really well but i'm a bit worried now !

He is going to put trade plates on and take her for a good run to see what happens

Fingers crossed

Foggys940 Nov 15th, 2018 14:50

Youll more than likely find it because it's been sat for so long. Do an oil Filter and oil change, the oil that's been sat for a while might have lost some of it's properties.

If it was the H/G I'd have thought you would loose coolant or it would pressure the water system. If it's doing neither of these you'll more than likely find it's time to do an oil swap.

griston64 Nov 15th, 2018 15:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foggys940 (Post 2466969)
Youll more than likely find it because it's been sat for so long. Do an oil Filter and oil change, the oil that's been sat for a while might have lost some of it's properties.

If it was the H/G I'd have thought you would loose coolant or it would pressure the water system. If it's doing neither of these you'll more than likely find it's time to do an oil swap.

I'm praying that's what it is. He has changed oil and put new filter in.

They are going to take the car for a longish run to get everything up to temp to see what happens

N59ESR Nov 15th, 2018 15:42

Hi Mark
That is a bit worrying, but at the same time puzzling. I changed the oil and filter last summer and the old stuff was fine. The car hasn't been driven as such since then of course, but has been started and warmed up and moved back and forth from time to time. I haven't religiously checked the oil since I changed it, but did check it with the dipstick a few weeks back (at the time I made up my mind to let her go), and didn't notice anything untoward.
Let me know how it goes would you, please?
Cheers
Stuart

griston64 Nov 15th, 2018 15:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by N59ESR (Post 2466977)
Hi Mark
That is a bit worrying, but at the same time puzzling. I changed the oil and filter last summer and the old stuff was fine. The car hasn't been driven as such since then of course, but has been started and warmed up and moved back and forth from time to time. I haven't religiously checked the oil since I changed it, but did check it with the dipstick a few weeks back (at the time I made up my mind to let her go), and didn't notice anything untoward.
Let me know how it goes would you, please?
Cheers
Stuart

Good to know Stuart. I'll tell the mechanic. Could be lack of use that's caused it

Poss starting and not driving could make that worse ? ( hopes for someone to chip in who knows better than me ?? )

Thanks for letting me know

Cheers, Mark

griston64 Nov 15th, 2018 16:40

I'm going to pop down to garage on my way home tonight to see whats happening

I'll update later

Fingers crossed

griston64 Nov 15th, 2018 18:34

Update

Popped into garage tonight and explained cars lack of use in the last few years and also that the oil was changed last year and not really driven the last 15 months ( just started every so often )

He seems to think that's caused lots of condensation which has caused the problem.

He said he put fresh oil in and took the car for a long drive ( with trade plates ) and it seemed fine. White smoke to start obviously and then drove perfectly. No overheating or water loss so all seems fine ! phew ! Wonder if it might be worth doing another oil change and filter to give it a good clear out ??

He went on to say he is amazed at how well the car drives/feels for a 22 year old vehicle !

I was quite worried today as I've become quite attached to this car in the very short space of time I've had her. Slightly weird as I haven't even driven her yet ???

Anyways fingers crossed that after new tyres go on ( I've put on Goodyear all seasons if anyone has any reviews ) that she will be good to go:regular_smile::regular_smile::regular_smile:

N59ESR Nov 15th, 2018 21:26

Glad you've gotten to the bottom of the oil issue, and all seems ok. Hope you're back on the road before much longer, and enjoy your first drive.
Yeah, you're right, she's a friendly old thing and very easy to get fond of (which is why she sat in my garage for so long.....).

TheLeeds Nov 16th, 2018 00:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by griston64 (Post 2464698)
......... rear brakes are very sticky. I'm hoping once they get them apart they should free up. Will possibly need new rear pads and handbrake shoes........

They get stuck on the pins when the corrosion builds up where they go through the holes in the pads. Also, the pads rust into their housings. Last MOT my 2.3 lpt failed for an imbalance on the rear brakes. One pad was seized solid, so it's hardly surprising the side of the disk it was meant to touch was completely rusty. A set of rear disks and pads was £75 from the local motor factors. Handbrake shoes were fine and when adjusted, hold the car on 3 clicks, in drive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by griston64 (Post 2466957)
....... oil it was emulsified. The car hasn't really moved much in the last 6 years so it could just be from standing.......on the other hand it could be the dreaded HG..........

It's probably okay if there are no other symptoms. Emulsified oil can be a false positive, and in a worst case scenarrio, a head gasket isn't difficult on those engines anyway. The only tricky bit I found when I did my Wentworth was the bracket that holds the exhaust downpipe to the block. It's only 1 bolt, but it's hard to see.

griston64 Nov 16th, 2018 09:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLeeds (Post 2467116)
They get stuck on the pins when the corrosion builds up where they go through the holes in the pads. Also, the pads rust into their housings. Last MOT my 2.3 lpt failed for an imbalance on the rear brakes. One pad was seized solid, so it's hardly surprising the side of the disk it was meant to touch was completely rusty. A set of rear disks and pads was £75 from the local motor factors. Handbrake shoes were fine and when adjusted, hold the car on 3 clicks, in drive.

It's probably okay if there are no other symptoms. Emulsified oil can be a false positive, and in a worst case scenarrio, a head gasket isn't difficult on those engines anyway. The only tricky bit I found when I did my Wentworth was the bracket that holds the exhaust downpipe to the block. It's only 1 bolt, but it's hard to see.

Fingers crossed all ok. If not I'll book you in for a weeks holiday to Scotland and you can pop in a new head gasket then :regular_smile::regular_smile:

griston64 Nov 20th, 2018 19:03

Update

I'm still waiting on Trigger getting her MOT ! Good news is she is now running perfectly after the oil and filter change. It would appear a lot of condensation had built which had emulsified the oil. The garage have had her out for another couple of test drives and all seems perfect:regular_smile::regular_smile:

The slight downside is after changing discs and pads they were still binding and it was getting worse the more the brakes were used. The upshot of that is they fitted new front calipers. Bit of a pain cost wise but at least front brakes are now 100%. The last job is the handbrake cable as the ECP one didn't fit so they have had to order one from the dealer:shocked:

I'm hoping I will have her out on the road by the end of the week:regular_smile:

griston64 Nov 21st, 2018 12:34

She's made it !!

1 Attachment(s)
Trigger now has her MOT !! Attachment 116901

Going to collect tonight or tomorrow. Will update with pics as soon as possible

griston64 Nov 21st, 2018 21:04

First drive

1 Attachment(s)
Eventually got the car tonight :regular_smile::regular_smile:Attachment 116918

Drove her on an extended run home for 25 miles and she seemed fine. Bit different to my V70 and wife's new Skoda obviously. But she does have a charm all of her own

Once I got into the swing of it ( and eventually worked out how to open the petrol cap ! Doh ) it was a really relaxing drive. Few odd kind of ringing slight chirping noises which I think could be the belts ? She isn't as slow as i expected either. For now I'm going to put on the egg crate and clear indicators,give the body and wheels a really good clean and polish and just drive her around and enjoy her for a while.

Thanks to Stuart for passing her on and also Tony for looking after her prior to that. Loads of paperwork from original owner along with book fully stamped with service history from dealer ! Happy Days :regular_smile::regular_smile:

griston64 Nov 22nd, 2018 20:53

Egg Crate refurb

5 Attachment(s)
Doing an egg crate refurb for Trigger. I'm putting the black egg crate insert into a chrome surround. I'm going to have to paint the egg crate bit as its been painted with matt black and is also quite grubby.

I've attached a few pics as I'm trying to find out if anyone knows if you can get the plastic clips/rivets that hold the inner part to surround and also the little kind of whole circlips that hold the rod emblem on /

Cheers

[ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]Attachment 116950[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

baggy798 Nov 26th, 2018 12:22

Don't think the plastic rivets are available from Volvo, but on ebay there are small plastic rivets.

The whole circlips are called starlock washers. Still available I think, part number 968039, probably about £1.50 each. You can get them on ebay much cheaper...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Starlock-...r/253723925397

griston64 Nov 26th, 2018 12:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by baggy798 (Post 2470285)
Don't think the plastic rivets are available from Volvo, but on ebay there are small plastic rivets.

The whole circlips are called starlock washers. Still available I think, part number 968039, probably about £1.50 each. You can get them on ebay much cheaper...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Starlock-...r/253723925397

They look perfect

Thank-you :regular_smile::regular_smile:

griston64 Dec 1st, 2018 17:05

Little jobs

1 Attachment(s)
Little update on Trigger

Had her out for a nice long run this morning and she is doing great ! She gets down the road really well and cruises along the motorway very well. I'm trying to use her as much as possible as she's been sitting around for a good few years.

I'm still a little wary of going full beans but I did get her up to 80 mph ( sorry 70 ! ) today and she seemed fine. I'm surprised at how well she pulls tbh

Few little jobs today. Put the new heater blower motor ( kindly supplied by Beast 360 )in, so now no more ringing all the time when the fan is running . Also put a new rubber seal in oil filler cap as the hold one had hardened up and was leaking slightly. Fixed the light bulb behind the temperature gauge so I can now see that at night !

Tomorrow I'm going to get the egg crate and clear indicators sorted to freshen her face up :regular_smile::regular_smile:

Attachment 117101

Paul240480 Dec 1st, 2018 17:23

Great thread, lovely old beast. Do keep us up to date:teeth_smile:

Dirty Rooster Dec 1st, 2018 20:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by griston64 (Post 2471899)
Tomorrow I'm going to get the egg crate and clear indicators sorted to freshen her face up :regular_smile::regular_smile:

Attachment 117101

Yeay.
Post a photo side-by side with the old one so we can see how cool it looks,
then sell me your old indicators cheapo. :tongwink:

griston64 Dec 1st, 2018 20:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirty Rooster (Post 2471968)
Yeay.
Post a photo side-by side with the old one so we can see how cool it looks,
then sell me your old indicators cheapo. :tongwink:

I'll be selling them and the old grille :teeth_smile:

griston64 Dec 1st, 2018 20:27

New grille

1 Attachment(s)
Primed and ready for topcoat :teeth_smile:

Attachment 117103

griston64 Dec 2nd, 2018 11:57

Face-lift surgery

3 Attachment(s)
Got my clear indicators on ( they are a little smaller than the ones that came off but do fit )

Also removed the chrome surround from the standard grille and cot a couple of topcoats on the eggcrate

So should be through surgery pretty soon :teeth_smile:

Attachment 117113

Attachment 117114

Attachment 117115

griston64 Dec 2nd, 2018 15:02

Face-lift complete

4 Attachment(s)
That's the front end all finished. Looking good I think :teeth_smile:

Before and after shots

Attachment 117121

Attachment 117122

Attachment 117123

Attachment 117124

360beast Dec 2nd, 2018 16:32

What did you use to paint the grille?

I have got an egg crate too and it could do with a freshen up.

griston64 Dec 2nd, 2018 17:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by 360beast (Post 2472246)
What did you use to paint the grille?

I have got an egg crate too and it could do with a freshen up.

Hi Luke

Halfords grey primer and then Satin Black. Rubbed it down with 600 wet and dry to give the paint a key. ( that was a pita )Then three coats primer followed by about 5 topcoats. Just about used the whole tin with very light coats :teeth_smile:

Now to get the exhaust replaced ! I plugged about three holes yesterday and its still blowing. Hopefully new system will be here soon and I can get that fitted:teeth_smile:

Dirty Rooster Dec 2nd, 2018 20:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by griston64 (Post 2472164)
Got my clear indicators on ( they are a little smaller than the ones that came off but do fit )

That is a surprise : narrower but the same height?

griston64 Dec 2nd, 2018 21:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirty Rooster (Post 2472351)
That is a surprise : narrower but the same height?

Not quite the same height and slightly narrower

Probably cheap from you know where copies :teeth_smile:

Standard ones and grilles up for sale :teeth_smile:

360beast Dec 3rd, 2018 08:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by griston64 (Post 2472266)
Hi Luke

Halfords grey primer and then Satin Black. Rubbed it down with 600 wet and dry to give the paint a key. ( that was a pita )Then three coats primer followed by about 5 topcoats. Just about used the whole tin with very light coats :teeth_smile:

Now to get the exhaust replaced ! I plugged about three holes yesterday and its still blowing. Hopefully new system will be here soon and I can get that fitted:teeth_smile:

Oh nice one, I can probably paint mine at work then... the boss is on holiday soon :D